Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > computer won't sleep with os 9.2.2

computer won't sleep with os 9.2.2
willyhank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 12:10 AM

Hi--- I am a newby to this forum so please bear with me. This probably has been addressed somewhere but I don' have the answer. I have a beige g-3 which has been upgraded to a g-4 450. Ever since I switched from system 9.1 I cannot put the computer to sleep without freezing up. I ran Conflict catcher and it identified that I have to disable the cd player group in order for the computer to sleep. This does work--- However then the cd player doesn't work . Does anyone or Apple have a fix for this problem??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,willy

Fredo
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 05:24 PM

How can the cd player function if your mac is asleep? Simply disconect cd player, and connect it before using. Nothing could be simpler. Please, don't thank me.
Who are the Brain Police?

Hugh Hood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 12:29 PM

Willy:

Try the following 3 things:

1. Download 'G3 CD Update 2.0' from Apple's Website. This program updates the firmware in the internal CD-ROM drive to correct 'certain sleep issues'. It fixed the freezing problem for me.

2. Remove the 'Mac OS ROM' file from your system folder. The 9.2.2 installer, sometimes being machine specific, puts this in there. Beige G3's do not need it and it MAY cause conflicts, although I can't confirm this.

3. Replace Apple's Energy Saver Control Panel with the $25 shareware 'Sleeper 3.5'. Even after doing the first (2) items, I noticed significant slowdown issues upon wakeup from hard drive sleep, even though the computer itself did not freeze. 'Sleeper 3.5' fixes that beautifully.

Hugh...

Hugh Hood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 12:39 PM

Willy:

Try the following 3 things:

1. Download 'G3 CD Update 2.0' from Apple's Website. This program updates the firmware in the internal CD-ROM drive to correct 'certain sleep issues'. It fixed the freezing problem for me.

2. Remove the 'Mac OS ROM' file from your system folder. The 9.2.2 installer, sometimes being machine specific, puts this in there. Beige G3's do not need it and it MAY cause conflicts, although I can't confirm this.

3. Replace Apple's Energy Saver Control Panel with the $25 shareware 'Sleeper 3.5'. Even after doing the first (2) items, I noticed significant slowdown issues upon wakeup from hard drive sleep, even though the computer itself did not freeze. 'Sleeper 3.5' fixes that beautifully.

Hugh...

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 08:42 PM

Hi willyhank, welcome to the MacNN forums! Don't worry about asking questions, that's what keeps this place moving. As long as you do a simple search before hand, no one will mind you asking all of your questions. Just make sure it hasn't been discussed before and put 'em in the correct forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules