Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > car recommendations

car recommendations
TubaMuffins
Senior User
Feb 26, 2005, 02:58 AM

So I've recently been looking into getting myself a car, a relatively cheap car. I was originally looking at the Subaru WRX but then found the Mazda6 s series which is 5k cheaper at the base price AND IT HAS 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!! Sorry, i love that. Anyway, anyone have experience with this car? im gonna go test drive it later on sometime. Or does anyone have any good recomendations for a good car under 20k? No Honda Accords please, I know they are good but I already had one, loved it but want to try something else. Thanks y'all.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
So I've recently been looking into getting myself a car, a relatively cheap car. I was originally looking at the Subaru WRX but then found the Mazda6 s series which is 5k cheaper at the base price AND IT HAS 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!! Sorry, i love that. Anyway, anyone have experience with this car? im gonna go test drive it later on sometime. Or does anyone have any good recomendations for a good car under 20k? No Honda Accords please, I know they are good but I already had one, loved it but want to try something else. Thanks y'all.
I assume you're only looking at new vehicles?

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Feb 26, 2005, 03:09 AM

doesnt matter to me, once i find a car i'll decide based on whether or not i can get the options i want.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 03:59 AM

memory-minus
Senior User
Feb 26, 2005, 11:33 AM

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 26, 2005, 11:38 AM

Audi A3, 3.2 Quattro

- Compact size without being too small
- 6 cyl. and 250hp for "omph"
- 4WD in case it snows in WI

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 11:38 AM

There is no such thing as a cheap car. All cars cause environmental damange and that is very expensive.
-\
-/

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by sugar_coated:
There is no such thing as a cheap car. All cars cause environmental damange and that is very expensive.
Why don't you go back to your magical fairy world where public transportation is a viable replacement for a personal car for everyone in a country as sparsely populated as the US.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 12:34 PM

I would never buy a Mazda or a Subaru. Waaaaay overrated cars. I personally think 99% of all Japanese cars are waaaaaaay overated. I would however, buy an Infiniti G35 6 speed sedan with 295 hp.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by His Dudeness:
I would never buy a Mazda or a Subaru. Waaaaay overrated cars. I personally think 99% of all Japanese cars are waaaaaaay overated. I would however, buy an Infiniti G35 6 speed sedan with 295 hp.
Try 298 to be precise I love RWD/Manual Transmission cars ... I really like Infiniti/Nissan's propensity to build such beasts .. most (non-german) car companies simply don't offer a stick shift on the nicer sedan trims.

Japanese cars are more overrated than they probably should be right now. But that over-rating sprung from a decade-and-a-half that they were bulletproof relative to what was coming out of Detroit. Flimsy sheet metal, cheap paint jobs, light-duty drive trains, and cookie-cutter designs ... but they'd run and run and run and require very little maintenance. Nowadays, Japanese cars are still somewhat more reliable but with the muxing/hybridization/multi-branding, its hard to know the true pedigree of any car .. Japanese brands don't mean reliability the way they did a decade ago. I'm actually looking at a 5-speed '97 Maxima right now for potential purchase. They are FWD and have very bland designs inside and out ... but at least you can find a well-appointed model with a stick Now those cars and their corporate sibling Infiniti I30 live up to the reliability hype ..

kalani79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by His Dudeness:
Infiniti = Nissan = Japanese?

Anyways I've got a WRX and I'd say it's a great car. Everybody expects it to be luxurious on the inside but it's not, and it's not supposed to be. It has rattles and plastic on the inside, but I don't care. It is quick and handles very well. Haven't had any problems with it and Subaru service has been great.

Biggest drawbacks? Thin paint: chips easy. Weak transmission: if you're dropping the clutch like a moron it won't last long. But, if you know how to drive hard correctly, it'll be fine. I wish it got better mileage, but 24 mpg certainly isn't bad for the power it puts out.

Anyways I got a good deal on my new 2003 Silver WRX because they were trying to get them off the lot as the 2004 redesign was already available. 24k out the door back in June of 2003. Ive got almost 25k miles on it already and it's been great.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 06:44 PM

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 26, 2005, 07:50 PM

So do all computers you hypocrite.

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
I'm actually looking at a 5-speed '97 Maxima right now for potential purchase.
i drive a 2000 maxima se 5spd. no issues in 4.5 years.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
...I was originally looking at the Subaru WRX but then found the Mazda6 s series which is 5k cheaper at the base price AND IT HAS 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!! Or does anyone have any good recomendations for a good car under 20k? No Honda Accords please...
Take a look at the 2005 Ford Mustang GT for $25,780. It's more than what you're wanting to spend but the reviews have been really good about this new Mustang. AND it's standard transmission packing a 300-horse, 4.6-liter V8 engine!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 08:21 PM

The Mazda6 is a very good car as is the Mazda3. The 3 is the better deal for the dollar since it enjoys more or less the same cabin space but more head room. The Mazda3 has best in class interior, handling, performance, and by most reports, the best styling of any car sold for under $20,000. I own a Black Mica 5-door Mazda3 and love it. People cosistantly go, "wow!" at the interior which has much much better quality and fit than any Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic or Accord I test drove and is light years ahead of anything American.

The MZ3 styling was developed by Mazda as well as the engine, the suspension and body by Volvo. Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda and is using the body and suspension design in the European Focus (very different from the domestic Focus we see) and in the US's Volvo S40. Its a helluva handling car with much better breaking and cornering than vehicles $8000 more expensive. It's actuall quite often compared to an Acura RSX which is only slightly faster though lacks the cornering of the Mazda3.

It was given the Best Small Car Award for the second time (2004, 2005) by MotorWeek, the Best Small Car Award by Automobile Magazine and was beat out for Best Car of The Year by the Chrysler 300C which isn't even remotely in it's class. It also took out the Focus, Civic, Prius, Corolla, and Jetta for Consumer Reports best pick (August 2004). It really really does rock.

I've modded mine a bit with a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust system, rear anti sway bar, and a few minor cosmetic modifications. Its a great car.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by kalani79:
Infiniti = Nissan = Japanese?

Anyways I've got a WRX and I'd say it's a great car. Everybody expects it to be luxurious on the inside but it's not, and it's not supposed to be. It has rattles and plastic on the inside, but I don't care. It is quick and handles very well. Haven't had any problems with it and Subaru service has been great.

Biggest drawbacks? Thin paint: chips easy. Weak transmission: if you're dropping the clutch like a moron it won't last long. But, if you know how to drive hard correctly, it'll be fine. I wish it got better mileage, but 24 mpg certainly isn't bad for the power it puts out.

Anyways I got a good deal on my new 2003 Silver WRX because they were trying to get them off the lot as the 2004 redesign was already available. 24k out the door back in June of 2003. Ive got almost 25k miles on it already and it's been great.
I said only 99%...

Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 08:46 PM

I'm selling a 2000 Navigator for 15K...GPS, Entertainment center, all the perks.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by dav:
i drive a 2000 maxima se 5spd. no issues in 4.5 years.
... and I'm on 195k on my little '96 Nissan truck. It had its very first problem that put it in the shop at 170k (water pump). I've never even had to replace a headlamp nor even the breakpads Its just been phenomenal. Though its had a number of cosmetic problems (had to replace headliner, a door panel, and the glove box latch).

I'm hoping the '97 Max will prove to be as reliable as your and my Nissan's have been. Between the time of my first post and now, I actually met the seller and test drove the vehicle. Very F*ing sweet. From the pics I'd seen, I was worried it would look a little too "boy-racer". But, in person, it looked great .. sporty but not childish. Man, that torque really kicked in over 3000rpm ... felt almost like when a boat makes it up on plane. I hope I end up getting it.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
So do all computers you hypocrite.
Computers don't run on internal combustion engines your highness!
-\
-/

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 09:41 PM

I would put you on ignore but I have a great time reading the stupid sh*t that you post.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 10:02 PM

They use electricity, and that electricity has to be generated. Chances are, the electricity you use is generated by burning coal or oil. That pollutes. If it's generated by a hydroelectric dam, that dam is destroying the habitat of many animals in the area. If it's wind power, then you're changing the weather. Nuclear fission produces toxic waste. The only really clean source of power that I can think of is solar, but that accounts for so little of the world's power that there's no way you're running your computer only on solar power. So get off it, and shut the hell up if you have nothing helpful to say.

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 26, 2005, 10:58 PM

Did your computer magically appear on your desk peasant?
( Last edited by Kilbey; Feb 26, 2005 at 11:08 PM. )

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 11:05 PM

Did you computer magically appear on your desk peasant?

This question is very tricky.
-\
-/

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
The only really clean source of power that I can think of is solar, but that accounts for so little of the world's power that there's no way you're running your computer only on solar power. So get off it, and shut the hell up if you have nothing helpful to say.So get off it, and shut the hell up if you have nothing helpful to say.
Don't get angry you will produce excess body heat and contribute to rising ocean levels.
-\
-/

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 26, 2005, 11:13 PM

I corrected the spelling for you.

Your computer is made up of plastics and metals. It was shipped in a box containing packaging materials such as styrofoam and polystyrene. The monitor, if it as CRT, contains lead and mercury. It was shipped on a boat/plane over an ocean. It was delivered to the store/home in a vehicle. It uses electricity which probably is oil or coal based.

You're a hypocrite if you continue using it.

Now shut up about cars please. Start your own thread about public transportation please.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 11:14 PM

Don't get angry you will produce excess body heat and contribute to rising ocean levels.
You are an idiot. Welcome to my ignore list.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
You are an idiot. Welcome to my ignore list.
errrr.. nevermind.
-\
-/

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 11:50 PM

Well this thread really hit the dumper. How about we talk about car suggestions for Tubamuffins, eh? I think the Mazda3 is swell, how about anybody else?

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 12:20 AM

Your mommy bought it, right?

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2005, 12:30 AM

I corrected the spelling for you.
What spelling?
-\
-/

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2005, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Your mommy bought it, right?
Get over it.
-\
-/

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 27, 2005, 12:36 AM

What spelling?
Are you really an idiot or do you just play on on the 'NN?

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2005, 12:43 AM

Are you really an idiot or do you just play on on the 'NN?
Incorrect answer.

What spelling?
-\
-/

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 01:08 AM

Incorrect answer.

What spelling?
Wow, you're just being a regular jackass. I think I'll get on the [ignore] bandwagon as well.

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 01:22 AM

If I were you, I'd get a VW Jetta, they are great!!

(oh, what was with all the name calling up there? )

waky waky!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by i_rooster:
If I were you, I'd get a VW Jetta, they are great!!

(oh, what was with all the name calling up there? )
Haven't the Jettas been gettingr really poor marks in reliability? Like, on the order of Chrysler type reliability? Consumer Reports doesn't give them very good marks from the mid 90's on for crash test safety either.

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
I hope I end up getting it.
if you do, you might want to check out here - a lot of good info. in fact you might want to ask the 4th gen folks what to look for in a used '97, if there's any issues to be aware of.

skalie
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:04 AM

Try and locate a '70's muscle car, preferably a Plymouth Roadrunner.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 01:09 PM

if you do, you might want to check out here - a lot of good info. in fact you might want to ask the 4th gen folks what to look for in a used '97, if there's any issues to be aware of.
Thanks ! I have been doing some research and that site will definitely help.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 01:11 PM

buy the mazda rotary engine car rx-8.

http://www.mazdarx8.co.uk/rotary/default.asp

nerd
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 01:50 PM

I'm getting a Mini S myself. I have a CBR954 for when I need to get some serious speed. If you want to get in the 300hp range (maybe higher I think?) then go for one of the turbo cars listed above. I like the GTIs but also like the AWD of the WRX.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 02:07 PM

Mazdas are very good cars indeed.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 02:23 PM

click below to see the rotary engine in action

http://www.mazdarx8.co.uk/sycomax/up...ngine_300k.mov

also read this

http://slate.msn.com/id/2087172/

"Call it the Mac OS X of engines."
( Last edited by amsalpemkcus; Feb 27, 2005 at 02:34 PM. )

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 27, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Wow, you're just being a regular jackass. I think I'll get on the [ignore] bandwagon as well.
I myself am tempted as well.

If only to keep the flow of most threads. sugar-coated's contributions just seem to ruin the flow around here.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by nerd:
I'm getting a Mini S myself. I have a CBR954 for when I need to get some serious speed. If you want to get in the 300hp range (maybe higher I think?) then go for one of the turbo cars listed above. I like the GTIs but also like the AWD of the WRX.
I love my MINI. you will be very happy with it.

Patrick

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 08:05 PM

Yessssssss !!!! Deal is going down tomorrow Here's my new rig as of tomorrow evening. All of the road test I've read about it from when it was new state:
Easily sub 7 0-60 times (with the stick .. which I'm getting)
140+ on the top end (I'll be surprised if I ever really see triple digits in it)

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 09:47 PM

I have a 90 Lumina AND an 86 Bronco - total cost $1000, I recommend those.
I also have a 00 Blazer, that was more though
All have been very reliable.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 5, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Haven't the Jettas been gettingr really poor marks in reliability? Like, on the order of Chrysler type reliability? Consumer Reports doesn't give them very good marks from the mid 90's on for crash test safety either.
Uh no, Chrysler is above the VW in reliability.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 5, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by AppleCello:
I love my MINI. you will be very happy with it.

Patrick
But it has a Chrysler engine!!11 OMG~11

Forum Links
Forum Rules