Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GT4... anyone have it yet?

GT4... anyone have it yet?
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 07:06 PM

So, has anyone gone out and bought Gran Turismo 4 yet? I've got a copy on preorder from Amazon... should be here on Thursday. I can't wait. 600+ cars, new tracks, B-Spec mode, 1080i HDTV support...

GameSpot and IGN reviews should be up later today.

"I start fires!"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 07:09 PM

It's supposedly released on March 9.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 07:10 PM

Whats the B-spec mode all about? I loved GT3!

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 07:11 PM

took 'em long enough.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 07:13 PM

Comes out today in the States. B-Spec mode lets you 'manage' an AI driver and basically tell it how to race and when to pit and stuff. I don't know all the detials, but it sounds intriguing.

And yeah, it's been delayed way too many times.

edit:

Roundup of current reviews

"I start fires!"

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 09:26 PM

IGN has their review up. They seem to see it as more of a perfected GT3 than a whole new game, but they still like it a lot. 9.5/10.

"I start fires!"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 09:30 PM

As an owner of the first three, I will definitily pick up GT4 sometime this week. This game looks awesome.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 11:36 PM

supposed to be this Thursday.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 11:49 PM

I got it around 4pm today but I worked till 7. I've been playing a lot since 7pm though

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
I got it around 4pm today but I worked till 7. I've been playing a lot since 7pm though
any first impressions? I can't wait >_<

"I start fires!"

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
any first impressions? I can't wait >_<
It feels much better than GT3. The cars slide around a lot more if you enter a corner way too fast and they don't correct as easily as GT3. I like it.

Unfortunately the license tests are still way too easy and you can transfer over your A and B licenses as well as 100k of credits from your GT3 account.

HDTV upscaling didn't work for me. I wonder if there is a component cable that I need.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 12:25 AM

Unfortunately the license tests are still way too easy and you can transfer over your A and B licenses as well as 100k of credits from your GT3 account.

HDTV upscaling didn't work for me. I wonder if there is a component cable that I need.
You need component video cables for 480p or 1080i.

I heard about the license/credit transfer in the Gamespot review. Does that hurt the experience, since it sort of gives you an advantage in the beginning? is getting the S license easier or harder than in GT3?

"I start fires!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 12:29 AM

Picked it up earlier but didn't play it much. The TV's occupied and I had a bit of things to do around the house today. Looks damn good. I haven't played GT in years so I have to relearn it all. I like that you can import GT3 data.

Oh, and it supports 1080i!!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 12:32 AM

I've had it since the release in Japan last December...

Without a doubt, it's miles better than GT3 and much much larger. Between work, family, and GT4, I've only put in enough time to get about 15% of the game done...

Enjoy!
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 04:56 AM

I bought a new playstation, after having sold my old one a few months ago, just for this game. It better be good. But I know it will. It's coming out on march 9 but I'll probably get it a week later. I won't be rushing out to all the stores like a maniac geek.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 02:23 AM

The game looks infinitely better with the component cables

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 06:49 AM

We don't get it, here in the UK, until later in March. I haven't played Gran Turismo since the first one, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. I didn't really enjoy getting my license's on GT1 so I'm hoping that wont be too tedious this time around.

I'm thinking about buying a steering wheel to play GT4 with, I haven't done much research yet. I'm guessing a Logitech force feedback would be most peoples first choice?

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 09:48 AM

Working on my B license. It's a bitch so far. I have to re-learn how to play this game.

Mike

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 07:33 PM

I preordered it from toysrus through Amazon a couple of weeks ago. It came out on tuesday, of course, and since then Amazon has said that it's shipping within 24 hours through Toys R Us. Except it hasn't. I even sprung for the 2-day shipping, and it hasn't shipped yet 2 days later (and today was the estimated delivery date.)

No GT4 for me

"I start fires!"

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2005, 07:37 PM

I got it today. it's pretty. played just a little, bought a Buick GNX, pumped it up to 500+HP and proceeded to get whooped in a race.

So far, it's pretty.
ice

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:15 PM

Great graphics and game play. Been playing it in 1080i on my 26" Widescreen Samsung Gotta get me a real car here. This freebie VW you get is all I have so far after just finishing the license mode. Very impressive in HD1080i! The clearity is amazing and no slowdown. Not bad for an old dog. LOL Might have to replace my racing wheel that bit it during my move.

fhoubi
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 08:33 PM

1) Could anyone confirm you can can reconfigure shifting keys to R1 & R2? GT4 Proloque would not allow this, and auto-shift or L2 & R2 does not work for me...
2) Is the N�rnburgring at full length? Approx. 16 miles I think... Incredible if so and a must-have only for this alone...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:37 PM

Yup. Although there are many other absolutely must-haves including Suzuka,, Tsukuba, and Infineon...

Originally posted by fhoubi:
Is the N�rnburgring at full length? Approx. 16 miles I think... Incredible if so and a must-have only for this alone...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 10:20 PM

I'm waiting for the bundled pack.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 10:41 PM

I will be playing this tomorrow on a projector in the conference room at work.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 10:47 PM

i am highly considering to buy a ps2 just for this game and maybe GT3 too.
iamwhor3hay

69camaro
Feb 24, 2005, 10:59 PM

GT3 is a great game in itself. So far as far as playing goes, GT4 is great, but the arrangement of getting everything started as far as races goes i prefer GT3. Same with the Arcade mode, Time Trials were much more straightforward in GT3.

My first car was a used 98 Skyline GT-R quickly upped to 657 HP with basic mods... *if you count Brakes and Stage 4 Turbo + exhaust basic* I completed the beginners league in about an hour and i'm on the IA license test and then onto the S Test so the real racing can begin.

A must have game none the less.

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 12:13 AM

OK. So I noticed that online racing was nixed, but they tried to compensate by giving us LAN racing. Has anyone tried setting up a VPN and trying to play someone else over the internet?

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 12:54 AM

Just picked up my copy today. Haven't had time to play it though, and won't until tomorrow evening.

Ever since yesterday, the traffic at the forum I moderate, GTPlanet, has been insane. Normally we get 100-200 active users at a time, but now we're getting between 700�1100. We had to resort to forcing all GT4 threads to wait in a queue (ooh, just checked, and I've got 35 threads to check� damn).

Hopefully I don't get hit by the infamous "jitter" problem� apparently, for some people, the screen will bounce a little bit at the beginning of each race. Strange.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:03 AM

<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:20 AM

got it on friday, so much fun. Nice pics starman, i wish i could take some but GT4 doesn't recognize my USB card reader (should work as a storage device)

On a side note, where'd you win the DeLorean? I saw that it was in the game and immediately went to buy it, but it's not for sale

"I start fires!"

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 12:30 AM

ammmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing what they did using ps2!!!! cant imagine what will happen when cell comes out!!

waky waky!

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2005, 12:59 AM

To get the DMC you have to win 10 game missions.

To win 10 game missions you need your IB license..

...but then you need your A license first

...but then you need your B license before that.

So it took a LOT of work to get it.

Mike

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by starman:
To get the DMC you have to win 10 game missions.

To win 10 game missions you need your IB license..

...but then you need your A license first

...but then you need your B license before that.

So it took a LOT of work to get it.

Mike
I'll work on that next, then. I imported B from GT3, but got A, IB, and IA myself. they're actually not so bad, so far, although the last 2 tests for IA are... interesting. a full lap on N�rburgring with a pace car and a section of a track where you've got a ~130 degree turn after a 240mph straightaway. not looking forward to getting the S license... sixteen full lap time trials :X

"I start fires!"

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 01:23 AM

I'll work on that next, then. I imported B from GT3, but got A, IB, and IA myself. they're actually not so bad, so far, although the last 2 tests for IA are... interesting. a full lap on N�rburgring with a pace car and a section of a track where you've got a ~130 degree turn after a 240mph straightaway. not looking forward to getting the S license... sixteen full lap time trials :X
Yeah, I remember reading that the license tests were harder than in GT3 but I found them EASIER. It was pretty easy to get gold on the majority of them on my second try or so. The pace car ones are by far the easiest.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2005, 01:34 AM

A note about game mission 10:

The precision you need for that test is ridiculous. Out of sheer frustration, I decided to see what would happen if I bypassed the little jughandles (as we call them in NJ) and went straight. No penalties and I finished it with lots of time to spare. FYI.

Mike

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:36 AM

Any word on a PC version within a year? Or if there will be a PC version? I have 2 grand invested into my PC gaming system and I'll be damned if I have to drop another $300 to get a tuner card, PS2, and the game to suffer inferior graphics and clumsey controls.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Any word on a PC version within a year? Or if there will be a PC version? I have 2 grand invested into my PC gaming system and I'll be damned if I have to drop another $300 to get a tuner card, PS2, and the game to suffer inferior graphics and clumsey controls.
1080i and a good wheel is not clumsy.

Mike

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:44 AM

Sure but I don't have a PS2 compatable wheel nor a 1080i compatable television. Or any television, for that matter. Even 1080i can't compare to 1600x1200, 8xAnsio which is how I played Doom3. The PS2 just doesn't have the effects processing power of a modern GPU like a GF 6800 Ultra (which I have) or ATI X800 Pro (which is similar)...

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 02:23 AM

Sure but I don't have a PS2 compatable wheel nor a 1080i compatable television. Or any television, for that matter. Even 1080i can't compare to 1600x1200, 8xAnsio which is how I played Doom3. The PS2 just doesn't have the effects processing power of a modern GPU like a GF 6800 Ultra (which I have) or ATI X800 Pro (which is similar)...
1080i = 1920x1080.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 07:22 AM

Not to mention a PS2 won't cost you two grand!

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 07:43 AM

1080i = 1920x1080.

1080i has a few more pixels, but almost any PC resolution is gonna be at least 60Hz, probably closer to 80Hz, so ignoring the widescreen vs. standard issue, 1600x1200 is a bit better.

"I start fires!"

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 08:21 AM

Who wants to play a racing game where you can't even crash ? Where you can bounce of your opponents to get around the corners faster ?

These things were wrong with the original GT, and three revisions later they haven't been fixed. No thanks. I won't be dusting off my PS2 for this one.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 08:50 AM

Any word on a PC version within a year? Or if there will be a PC version?
The GT series is developed by Sony themselves, and is one of the 'killer Apps' for the PS series of consoles. I doubt there will ever be a PC version of any of the GT games, ever.

The reason for there being no damage (apart from the difficulties with licensing from the Auto makers) is that they would only do it if they could make it equaly as 'realistic' as the rest of the game, it's is almost impossible as all the different cars deform and crash is different ways, so they would have to create unique impact graphics and models of each car, this being impossible on the current PS2 HW. S rather than attempt a flawed version, they decided to no do it at all.
Although they have introduced a 'collision penalty' where you are stuck in first gear (at about 5mph) for a few seconds.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Feb 28, 2005 at 08:58 AM. )

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Although they have introduced a 'collision penalty' where you are stuck in first gear (at about 5mph) for a few seconds.
Yeah, collisions are much better in GT4 than in previous versions. The screen shakes and blurs when you get hit or hit something hard, and there is much more slowdown. It forces you to be a more accurate driver. All in all, I like the feel and the style of the game more than GT3.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 11:37 AM

Only got a 7/10 in EDGE.. Oh well, I'm still gonna get it (probably).

Too bad they didn't spice up the AI and included proper collision damage.. Oh well..

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 02:08 PM

while car damage would be cool, i can kind of see how it would detract from the game. They try to make everything as realistic as possible in this game, and if there was truly realistic car damage, the game just wouldn't be as fun. No matter how good a driver you are, there will be times when you brush up against another car, at the very least, which may not be a big deal in the game, but you'd probably total your car if you actually did that going 100mph.

"I start fires!"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Too bad they didn't spice up the AI and included proper collision damage.. Oh well..
Ya strange especially considering those are the 2 things everyone wanted.

I'd rather have that then taking riceboy pictures of my imaginary car.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 02:26 PM

while car damage would be cool, i can kind of see how it would detract from the game. They try to make everything as realistic as possible in this game, and if there was truly realistic car damage, the game just wouldn't be as fun. No matter how good a driver you are, there will be times when you brush up against another car, at the very least, which may not be a big deal in the game, but you'd probably total your car if you actually did that going 100mph.
Yes they would have to do it in a innovative way. It's already been confirmed for GT5 on Playstation 3 iirc

Forum Links
Forum Rules