Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Mini/Photo/Shuffle....which did u get & why?

iPod Mini/Photo/Shuffle....which did u get & why? (Page 2)
iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 03:07 PM

I own a shuffle and love it to death (I also own a 3rd gen 20GB), but in terms of $ per GB the shuffle is the worst value. $200 per GB for the 512MB model and $150 per GB for the 1GB model, that's not the reason I bought this though, and if they had priced it as the same price as the 4GB mini, I'd still choose the shuffle. This thing truly rocks, pun intended.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 06:37 PM

...... I wish there was a way to use the new photo import link to transfer images from a Digital Camera to an iPod mini (just to transfer it, obviously not to view photos).

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Mar 20, 2005, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by ///Milien:
I started out with a 20GB iPod and soon found out that the drive wasn't big enough to hold all my music. My progression of iPods went from 20-, 30-, 40- and now it's a 60GB iPod photo, which I love. The color screen is great especially to display album art, and the photo viewing option is great for me since photography is a hobby for me.

I was elated when Apple released the shuffle since I was not too keen on running with my 60GB. So now I have both, the 60GB for travel, etc. and the shuffle for running/exercising.
I do the same thing.

apollo11
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2005, 11:03 AM

1 gig Shuffle is great for capacity small foot print and battery life,. I do not have a great deal of music and I only listen to a handful of tunes at any one time, but loading music in is painfully slow.

Next one should have a 3 line display and firewire, I'd pay another �35.67 for those features.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2005, 12:51 PM

After 4 years of wanting an iPod, I finally got one.

I have been waiting for a color screen and Photo abilities. But when the Photo version came out, it was a bit too steep for my wallet.

When they releases the 30g $349 Photo version it was still a bit steep, but I talked myself into it.

It was worth every penny, and the only complaint I have is, the screen does get scratched easily. That is why I am buying a case.

I got the scratch out by using some "Mothers" plastic polish and some elbow grease. Worked like a charm.

I also like the color calendar better than the b/w one.

I guess I just like eye candy. I added CD art to ALL my music. Just 3,000 or so songs. A lot already had artwork before.

Plus, chicks dig it.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
It was worth every penny, and the only complaint I have is, the screen does get scratched easily. That is why I am buying a case.
Get some PDA covers and cut out a shape for the iPod screen.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Get some PDA covers and cut out a shape for the iPod screen.
Yeah I heard about that. But I think I want a case.

ibugv4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2005, 03:03 AM

I scoffed at iPod when it came out, because I barely had 1.1GB of music. By the time the 3G came out, I had about 3-4GB, and decided I wanted one with my new eMac. A year later, Mini came out and I "upgraded" to a Mini. At first all the songs fit, it wasn't long until that was not the case. I liked Mini, I had a pink one. I liked the clickwheel a LOT more than the very sensitive buttons of my 10GB 3G iPod. When Shuffle was announced, I almost blacked out. It was what I had wanted for a long, long time: a simple MP3 player that carried a days' worth of music. It works with all my Macs (cause they all have at least USB 1.1 on them, even if it's a PCI card install), and it acts as a flash drive.

I tend to keep 30-60 songs, at any given time, on the shuffle. I didn't skip a beat to sell my mini to get my shuffle. Unlike everyone else, I got the $99 512MB shuffle... I don't see a need for the 1GB unit just yet .....

I have never lost an iPod, but it's harder to do when you wear it around your neck ...big selling feature to me, as my Mini pretty much lived in my beetle.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 09:41 AM

In the past, I had the first generation 5 GB and a third generation 10 GB. I now have a 40 GB iPod photo and a pair of 512 MB shuffles (one for the wife and one for myself). The shuffles were an impulse buy because we saw dozens of 'em sitting there taunting us on a display at Best Buy. Anyhow, since getting the shuffle a couple weeks ago, I literally have not touched my iPod photo. It seems so big and such a pain in the ass now. For the way I listen (45 minutes at a time maybe), the shuffle is perfect. The feature trade-offs are non-starters and I don't even miss the screen.

I'm having a hard time justifying that expensive paperweight now sitting on the corner of my desk. The idea of having *all* my music with me everywhere I go is cool. Having every picture ever taken of my son with me every day is great. But I don't use those features enough to put down my shuffle. In fact, I found myself leaving my (now) old iPod at home, b/c it was a pain to carry along with a mobile phone and all the other stuff you tote every day. Not so with the stick-of-gum-sized shuffle.

Signed,
-The Dork With the Lanyard-bound shuffle Around His Neck in Public
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2005, 10:18 AM

I've bought an iPod photo 60 GB and I must say I love it. It holds all of my music, a tone of notes and all kinds of stuff I'd otherwise use an external FW HD for.

I have 17 GB of music and still a lot of CDs I'm planning on buying, so I guess this iPod is just perfect. I can't imagine buying a 20 GB or an iPod mini actually. The mini might look cute, but it's much too small for my collection. I find it somewhat lost between the 'big' iPods and the shuffle; it's too bulky to always carry around compared to the shuffle, but offers by far not enough space to compete with the larger iPods.

I'm buying my g/f and myself two shuffles for jogging. For everything else the photo is perfect.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 21, 2005, 05:14 PM

Update:

I ended up getting exactly what I said I was going to get: 4GB green iPod mini. It's awesome and I'm so glad I went with it over an iPod shuffle. The price difference was small enough between the two to easily justify 4X more space and a screen.

I know a lot of people here don't care about a screen, but it's so nice to be able to see those details. Me and a freind exchanged iPod mini's for awhile and were able to see what songs we liked. With an iPod shuffle, it would have been a guessing game.

Anyways, the new colours are definitely an improvement, and the 18hr battery life makes the deal even sweeter. Overall, I have no regrets with my new mini. I love it and use it so much more than my old iPod.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 07:37 PM

I have a 3G for myself and a 1G shuffle for my sig other. I've been able to borrow it a few times from her and it's definitely a neat thing not having to worry about being delicate with it.

My battery life has definitely decreased since when I first bought my 3G back in summer of 2003, especially when skipping around songs. The battery level will drop to about half before bouncing back up once the drive stops.

Guess I'll be in the market for a replacment battery before the end of the year. At $29, I think it'll be well worth it.

www.ipodbattery.com

Originally posted by typoon:
About the Batteries. They last around 18-24 months depending on how you use your iPod. you don't have to chuck it and buy another. many places sell replacements or you can take it to Apple and they will put a new one in for you for a "nominal fee" of 99 dollars. Who knows after 18 months they might have new iPods and you might just want one of those. Give the old one to a friend and let them replace the battery.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

sixhoursago
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 03:39 AM

I got a 20GB 4G last November because of the price. My music collection is much larger than any capacity iPod will hold, so no matter which model I bought I would have to be selective of what I put on there (as opposed to dumping the entirety of a small collection on the iPod.) So I went for the median of 20GB and used my educational discount.

I go to college in a small town. Campus is bigger than the rest of the village. Wherever I may be walking to, I don't need too many songs. A walk to class allows for enough time to listen to no more than three songs. So I want to get a shuffle, I think that it would be perfect. I would keep my 4G, of course, because I am an Apple junky.

I actually bought a shuffle last month when I bought my new iMac, it was kindof an impulse purchase (ohh... i can upgrade RAM to 1 gig, AND get a 1 gig shuffle, for ONLY three hundred more dollars!) yea I spent too much in the Apple store that night, then needed some of the money back a few days later after getting financially raped by Verizon Wireless, so I sold the shuffle to my housemate. I was supposed to buy another shuffle this week (for keeps this time), but ended up on eBay and before I knew it, I had just bought an iBook... ****. and oh well, at least now I have an iBook, I suppose.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 05:09 PM

I've been thru most every type of iPod, so far.
Bought a 5GB when they first came out - ordered it about 10 minutes after the keynote, still have it and battery life is still around 7-8 hours.
Got a 15GB rev3 so I could have a few more songs - that and the physical wheel kept turning on the backlight when I hit bumps in the road.
Picked up a Silver mini at CompUSA when they came out, modified it too much and broke it. Went back to CUSA and picked up a blue mini, glad they got a very large initial order. Still have both, the broken one will be fixed soon and is all black now.
Sold the 15, got a 4G 40GB, then 3 weeks later Steve debuts the PhotoPod. Sold the month old 40GB and drove down to Cherry Creek to get a new 60GB for 600 bucks.
Monochrome iPods look so dated now.
Picked up a 512MB Shuffle and love it. It lives in my vest pocket, used mostly when I drive my Jeep - I hate commercials almost as much as I hate ClearChannel and NewsFactor.

Z

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2005, 04:17 PM

i got a 4G 20gb iPod to replace my 1G 5gb iPod - i got it because i needed more space and my 1G was too outdated for me. i also got my wife a 1gb shuffle for v-day

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2005, 05:03 PM

went with a 512mb shuffle myself. Right now, the only place i use it is at the gym, so I didn't feel the need to shell out for a mini or full sized iPod. I may buy a mini at some point if I have the need for it, but between XM at my desk at work and in the car, as well as having an MP3 CD player in the car there's really no need for me to have anything more elaborate than the shuffle right now.
Regards,
Dave

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2005, 06:41 PM

I just got a standard 20gig...I have too much music to fit on a mini, and the next biggest was 40 so it was worthless to buy that when I don't even quite fill my 20. Basically a balance of price and capacity for me, and I don't think there were even photo's released yet, though I haven't paid too much attention to them so I could be wrong, but I had no use for a color screen either..
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Mar 27, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by HazelGirl:
I am just wondering...which one did you get and why one over the other?
I did not get any of them, because I own a 1st gen since the very first days it came out. It does not have the greatest hd but its ok and it shows that I have been one of the first users.

Avantgarde, not follower !

dmxplosive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 10:48 AM

i got the 1 gb ipod shuffle. i got it b/c it was cheaper than the other ipods, and b/c i run all the time (on the cross-country and track team) and i had an iriver mp3 player, but it only would hold like 55 songs or so, and it just wasn't enough. and itunes works very good with the ipod also

Applefreak01
Senior User
Mar 28, 2005, 08:17 PM

I'm thinking of getting a mini. I don't have a lot of songs, just the few I've heard and wanted to buy. My girlfriend was in the market for a portable music player. At first I was so close for her wanting an iPod. Then she tried the Napster to Go trail and liked it so I ended up getting her a Dell Pocket DJ. As for me I don't like Napster. I'm a Apple man and will always be an Apple man. I should have my new mini by the end of the week.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules