Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard's FrontRow

Leopard's FrontRow
Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2006, 05:54 PM

IIRC Jobs mentioned the inclusion of FrontRow & Photobooth in OS X 10.5. So I'm thinking Apple will offer Apple-branded IR sensors for G3 (if supported), G4, G5 & Mac Pro owners when Leopard rear's its head.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 07:07 PM

Doubtful. It'll probably just not work on those older machines. Hey, it's a great way to try and get people to upgrade to new Intel machines, right?

Of course, I'm sure it'll also be possible to enable using something like Frontrow Enabler today. Just don't count on any physical product out of Apple that will help.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

MM-o4
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 07:19 PM

hey the Mac Pro desn't have IR either.

What you'll have to do is buy an iTV.
Thats the next ish

MM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Doubtful. It'll probably just not work on those older machines. Hey, it's a great way to try and get people to upgrade to new Intel machines, right?

Of course, I'm sure it'll also be possible to enable using something like Frontrow Enabler today. Just don't count on any physical product out of Apple that will help.
It makes no sense to say Front Row and Photo Booth will be included in the OS rather than used as features for specific models if Apple didn't plan to provide the hardware to use them. Unless you think the iSight is being discontinued, I'm guessing there will be a remote for sale.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2006, 09:41 PM

You don't need an Apple Remote or any other special hardware for Front Row. You can activate and control it with your main keyboard.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 12:10 AM

That kinds defeats the purpose though, doesn't it?
Linkinus is king.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 12:13 AM

I could see Apple either building in IR sensors into the Mac Pro or the next bout of cinema displays, or a separate reciever. That said I don't think we'll see the receiver. Odds are photobooth will then also work with camcorders and what not.
That said Front Row probably won't work on any G3 Macs, it took forever to pull up on my old PowerBook at 1Ghz.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 12:23 AM

Couldn't you theoretically just use your phone as a remote, or some actual third-party remote to map the FrontRow keys on the keyboard to the remote and use it that way? (Command-ESC to invoke FrontRow, up, down, left, right, and enter?) Or, better yet, a wireless keyboard, if you have some entertainment center setup.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 02:30 AM

Salling Clicker will allow you to use your cellphone as a remote. Pretty cool.
Linkinus is king.

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Couldn't you theoretically just use your phone as a remote, or some actual third-party remote to map the FrontRow keys on the keyboard to the remote and use it that way? (Command-ESC to invoke FrontRow, up, down, left, right, and enter?) Or, better yet, a wireless keyboard, if you have some entertainment center setup.
I have Front Row installed on my iBook, and use Salling Clicker to control it via my Palm handheld and Windows Mobile phone. It works pretty well, honestly. I would definitely use it if I wanted to hook my iBook up to a TV. I have never done that, however, so the Salling Clicker purchase was just so I could ooh and ahh for a few minutes. You can find Salling Clicker on MacUpdate.com. It supports lots of phone models, not just the handheld computer type.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

dice
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 05:38 AM

I use my Sony Ericsson k750i to contol front row via bluetooth. I downloaded a profile to make the screen look like the buttons on the official apple IR remote.

I prefer controlling iTunes via Salling Cliker though. It is very very cool. I can browse my iTunes library from my phone and control iTunes. It displays album art etc on the screen of my phone. Course bluetooth sucks up power from the phones battery... I can change the system volume and put the machine to sleep/shutdown all from across the room
sheesh, that took 8 hours for me to be asked to change my sig...

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dice
I use my Sony Ericsson k750i to contol front row via bluetooth. I downloaded a profile to make the screen look like the buttons on the official apple IR remote.

I prefer controlling iTunes via Salling Cliker though. It is very very cool. I can browse my iTunes library from my phone and control iTunes. It displays album art etc on the screen of my phone. Course bluetooth sucks up power from the phones battery... I can change the system volume and put the machine to sleep/shutdown all from across the room
The iPod dock has an IR receiver. It should be possible to use the remote with that to control Front Row surely.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 09:23 AM

I just hope they make Leopard's FrontRow less stupid. It has some serious usability issues, which are strictly due to its software implementation.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 22, 2006 at 10:56 AM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
It makes no sense to say Front Row and Photo Booth will be included in the OS rather than used as features for specific models if Apple didn't plan to provide the hardware to use them. Unless you think the iSight is being discontinued, I'm guessing there will be a remote for sale.
Apple isn't obligated to support older systems with new technologies. I'm guessing that they will offer a bluetooth remote, but I could be wrong. I think that would make the most sense.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 10:37 AM

Um, guys. The Apple iPod dock has an IR port. You do have an iPod, right ? In any case, the dock is about �25, which is not a whole lot more than they'd sell an IR receiver for

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Um, guys. The Apple iPod dock has an IR port. You do have an iPod, right ? In any case, the dock is about �25, which is not a whole lot more than they'd sell an IR receiver for
a) more like $40.

b) the remote is another $30.

c) the cable from the Dock to the computer is another $20.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2006, 12:56 PM

Can someone confirm this works? I didn't know the iPod dock IR sensor did anything on a computer.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by qnxde
Can someone confirm this works? I didn't know the iPod dock IR sensor did anything on a computer.
It did at Apple Store with 10.4.6, but I think 4.7 changed it.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 10:35 PM

The iPod IR sensor can not control Front Row.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
BUT, if Apple put out software to use it that way it would work.
Signature depreciated.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2006, 04:26 AM

ONLY if Apple actually built the iPod Dock hardware to pass through the IR sensor information to the computer when hooked up to it via the USB cable.

Which I very much doubt.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
ONLY if Apple actually built the iPod Dock hardware to pass through the IR sensor information to the computer when hooked up to it via the USB cable.

Which I very much doubt.
What about FireWire? Of coarse you would not be able to dock a video/nano to the dock but it could work? Right?
Signature depreciated.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2006, 05:25 AM

Why would it work?

Why should functionality that probably isn't built into the Dock be more likely to work when connected to a computer via a protocol that isn't even supported any more by the hardware the Dock *IS* supposed to work with - the iPods?

What does Firewire have to do with anything?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 05:27 AM

Why would it work?
I'd hope you would answer that.
Signature depreciated.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2006, 11:03 PM

Why would it work?

Why should functionality that probably isn't built into the Dock be more likely to work when connected to a computer via a protocol that isn't even supported any more by the hardware the Dock *IS* supposed to work with - the iPods?

What does Firewire have to do with anything?
Because it basically works like Keyspan remotes, which are USB and can control Front Row.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 03:19 AM

Except Keyspan remotes are built to remote-control your computer.

iPod Docks are built as iPOD ACCESSORIES.

And thus, it is more likely that they would be able to remote-control your computer if hooked up through FIREWIRE rather than USB? Hello?

I suggest reading the three posts above yours again.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
And that means that Apple could not make that happen if it wished to? We are talking about a feature of 10.5 many things could change if Apple chooses.

Surely it would be one way around the lack of an IR sensor on Mac Pros.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 04:16 PM

I hope Apple seriously improves Front Row. It's just terrible at its current iteration on Tiger. For example, I wish the names of files would scroll when they are too long to be viewed at once. Also, if you have a very long list of artists, I wish scrolling would accelerate even more than it does now. How about being able to go to a letter like X instead of scrolling all the way down. Another annoying thing about Front Row is that you can't customize the menus. Any video files you have that you DIDNT purchase from iTunes automatically are put in Movies, and then TV Shows, Video podcasts and the rest are dependent on iTunes to categorize them as such.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 19, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I hope Apple seriously improves Front Row. It's just terrible at its current iteration on Tiger. For example, I wish the names of files would scroll when they are too long to be viewed at once. Also, if you have a very long list of artists, I wish scrolling would accelerate even more than it does now. How about being able to go to a letter like X instead of scrolling all the way down. Another annoying thing about Front Row is that you can't customize the menus. Any video files you have that you DIDNT purchase from iTunes automatically are put in Movies, and then TV Shows, Video podcasts and the rest are dependent on iTunes to categorize them as such.
You can change the type of video so it shows up in the right category.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
You can change the type of video so it shows up in the right category.

Ok I have a Simpsons episode as an .avi file encoded in mpeg4. It plays beautifully in quicktime player. How do I make it show up in the TV Shows category in front row?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 19, 2006, 05:16 PM

In iTunes:

Command-I --> Video --> Video Kind --> TV Show

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 05:22 PM

Woah it has totally changed since iTunes 6!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2006, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
And that means that Apple could not make that happen if it wished to? We are talking about a feature of 10.5 many things could change if Apple chooses.

Surely it would be one way around the lack of an IR sensor on Mac Pros.
ONLY if the function is ALREADY implemented, i.e. the Dock already passes its remote signal out through the Dock connector port's USB cable.

Otherwise, there is no way it can possibly happen with an iPod Dock.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
ONLY if the function is ALREADY implemented, i.e. the Dock already passes its remote signal out through the Dock connector port's USB cable.

Otherwise, there is no way it can possibly happen with an iPod Dock.
Apple could update the dock after Leopards release. Of course any docks sold before Leopard release wouldn't be able to use this feature.
Signature depreciated.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2006, 06:21 PM

They will. Its codename is "iTV", and it will cost $299.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
They will. Its codename is "iTV", and it will cost $299.
I thought we were talking about controlling Front Row on a MP or other IR censorless (PPC) Mac. Not hooking your videos/photos/music into your TV.
Signature depreciated.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 05:07 AM

We were. I'm just busy pointing out what an absurd notion that is. The last non-IR consumer desktop was sold 9 months ago.

Apple is pushing massively in exactly the direction you want them to go, and they're selling like crazy.

Why on earth should they expend energy to modify an existing peripheral that has nothing to do with Macs to add a capability that is selling new machines like crazy to a defunct line of computers?

Get a Bluetooth adapter and Salling Clicker and do it from your mobile.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 05:11 AM

Ok.
Signature depreciated.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I could see Apple either building in IR sensors into the Mac Pro or the next bout of cinema displays, or a separate reciever. That said I don't think we'll see the receiver. Odds are photobooth will then also work with camcorders and what not.
That said Front Row probably won't work on any G3 Macs, it took forever to pull up on my old PowerBook at 1Ghz.
Skip all that and just make it a blu-tooth remote, that way it works with just about every mac in the past while.

If sony can sell a HUGE blu-tooth remote for the PS3 for $30 so can apple.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules