Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Defacing a Cube

Defacing a Cube
fobside
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2001, 05:28 PM

i am in the UCLA student store right now and i heard some girls talking about the Cube. you can kinda tell where apple's market is going with the new cute iMacs and Cube.

anyway these girls were talking and i heard them said "this is the one i want to get. its cute." her friend replied, "yah and you can probably get some stickers and stick them on. that would make it so cute!"

you cant deface a cube like that! part of its beauty is in its simplicity! i just wanted to slap these girls around and tell them what a mistake it was for them to even mention this. *sigh*

------------------
I used to use a PC.

BeneathHisFeet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2001, 05:31 PM

If plastering a Cube with stickers sells a Mac, I say let 'em do it.

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2001, 05:56 PM

i guess thats true. its not like i have to look at their cube. but still...it pains me to think about it happen.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2001, 08:01 PM

well, seems like apple is already onto these girls.

Just look at the "Flower Power" - those 'cute' stickers are already on them!

Ugh. When I had my cube, I polished it and dusted it almost every day. I freaked out when people touched it. I would NEVER EVER stick a sticker on there!

I bet these girls have stickers of pochacco and badtz-maru everywhere all over their riced out civic too. Whats it with asians and stickers? (man I hate being asian sometimes. :-D )
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2001, 08:09 PM

How thoughtful of Apple. The new iMacs come pre-defaced, saving their new owners countless hours of sticker slapping.

------------------
[email protected] 450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
Coming MWNY: Flower Power G3 Potpourri Scented iCubes!
------------------

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2001, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by fobside:
anyway these girls were talking and i heard them said "this is the one i want to get. its cute." her friend replied, "yah and you can probably get some stickers and stick them on. that would make it so cute!"
Just how cute are the girls? They may be trying to compensate...

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2001, 10:04 PM

the girls were not cute at all. they were definitely making their computers cute cuz they sure werent... jk

but still...i wonder why apple seems to be looking towards impressing people with the exterior so much when the hardware inside is so good.

When I had my cube, I polished it and dusted it almost every day. I freaked out when people touched it. I would NEVER EVER stick a sticker on there!
kertong, youre a compulsive guy arent you? maybe a little plebian-esque eh? heheh =P

------------------
I used to use a PC.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2001, 10:31 PM

Apple Is doing this to get the one sector of the computer buyers to buy one of their machines, with pretty colors and simplicity, they want to seem freindly to people nont just beige. I am fine with the new I macs just as long as I don't see a flower power or any other gay styles in the line of G4s they are respectiable and should never be changeds looks wise for more bussiness

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Daishi
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2001, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by fobside:

but still...i wonder why apple seems to be looking towards impressing people with the exterior so much when the hardware inside is so good.
That's easy. Apple knows what style is and no other computer company has really figured it out. It just seems so extreme 'cause nobody else has a clue what to do.
Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deusaderit

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Daishi:
That's easy. Apple knows what style is and no other computer company has really figured it out. It just seems so extreme 'cause nobody else has a clue what to do.
i agree. but when its people buying just for an exterior? you get a whole community of mac users that are...well, a bunch of morons. i guess apple doesnt care what kind of community they have as long as they sell?

------------------
I used to use a PC.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2001, 10:43 AM

Some would say, "So, what's new?"

Apple is selling fashion and that's cool... Although I'd like to see the same type of creative design applied to their business products -- G4, TiPB, and so on. Talk about shaking up the business world!

barry_black
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2001, 02:30 PM

Stickers aren't such a bad idea. You can use them to cover up the crakcs..... I mean mold lines.

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2001, 03:29 PM

How old were these girls? Pre-pubescent? 15ish? Early 20s?
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2001, 10:01 PM

Danbrew are you saying that the G4 and the Ti book arn't stylish if you are you are frickin' crazy!

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

malson
Senior User
Feb 27, 2001, 11:46 PM

Maybe these girls could get together with Ca$h. I've read down in the Lounge that he enjoys coloring on his iMac.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

machappy
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2001, 12:27 AM

ive read that a sheet of paper slides in between the case and the inserted system, allowing you to make skins for your cube.
just print up some cool designs and slide'em in.

This is tip #26 from my book how to get laid with the cube.

give it a go..works everytime.

Stinkfist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2001, 04:27 AM

you cant deface a cube like that! part of its beauty is in its simplicity!
Wow you sound like such an arrogant snob! I suppose it's people like you who comprise that tiny niche that Apple is going after with the Sharper Image Cube. Get a life and quit worrying about what other people want to do with their Cubes!

Forget the dock, TaskMenuBar is real GUI innovation:
http://home.netcom.com/~kawahara/taskmenubar.html

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2001, 05:01 AM

Apple should make Pokemon iMacs. Then conumers will have a about a million different styles to choose from.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2001, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by Stinkfist:
Wow you sound like such an arrogant snob! I suppose it's people like you who comprise that tiny niche that Apple is going after with the Sharper Image Cube. Get a life and quit worrying about what other people want to do with their Cubes!
everyones entitled to do whatever they want with their mac. i just dont like it personally. you telling me to get a life doesnt really say anything about how i feel the cube should look like now does it? telling me to get a life is the same thing youre accusing me of...you get a life and stop worrying about what i worry about k?

------------------
I used to use a PC.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Stinkfist:

What's wrong with what he said? I know fobside is a bit slow and all, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said. I mean, he likes the cube for its beauty and simplicity, and when people mess that up, he feels bad about it.

Its the same when I see a honda civic with a huge spoiler, exhaust, and stickers all over the place. Its a simple car meant to be kept simple, no? I cringe everytime I see one go by.

I don't see fobside here as a snob in any way. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm ok with that. But yeah.. calm down stinkfist, I thought it was an entertaining post.

And I think the pokemon imac is a cool idea. I wouldn't personally buy one, but it'd sell like a plague to those little pokemon-crazed kids. (my roomate too).

[This message has been edited by kertong (edited 02-28-2001).]
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2001, 05:29 PM

Better yet, sell the Snow iMac (or possibly an solid color) with your choice of stickers - Pokemon, Batman Beyond, Mickey Mouse, Barbie, Star Wars, etc and allow the user to sticker up their iMac.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2001, 09:11 PM

they shouldnt sell them with stickers. they should get those plastic things you can put on and remove so depending on your mood you can remove them and put them back on at will.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2001, 09:19 PM

It is sad that the only thing that people care about are looks they don't care whats inside. Some people are so shallow!

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

ariella
Feb 28, 2001, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:

Apple should make Pokemon iMacs. Then conumers will have a about a million different styles to choose from.

http://www.theapplecollection.com/iMac/Pika.html

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2001, 11:34 PM

That's gay.

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2001, 01:57 AM

you should see the rest of the pictures of it. it looks pretty good from the back...the paint job and all. still, i wouldnt want a computer to look like its looking back at me.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules