Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini G4 with external Monitor problems :(

Mac Mini G4 with external Monitor problems :(
dice
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2007, 06:02 AM

Hi

I have a G4 Mac Mini. I recently purchased a Samsung 205BW 20in widescreen LCD monitor.

I connected it via the DVI port on my mini with the DVI cable that came with the monitor and it seemed to work great but occasionally the screen will flick black as if there was nothing connected to it. It happens most noticeably when I go from a fullscreen quicktime video to the desktop or if I activate Expose. Also if the Mini goes to sleep and I try to wake it the screen stays black and I either have to reboot or change to using the VGA cable.

The monitor works perfectly if I use a DVI-VGA adaptor and connect to the VGA port on the monitor but I'd prefer to use DVI....... any ideas?

thanks
sheesh, that took 8 hours for me to be asked to change my sig...

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 05:42 PM

The problem sounds like the display, because when you switch to the other mode, it works fine, which tells me the Mini is fine. If its new, get a replacement and see if the problem goes away or see if you can take your Mac Mini somewhere, plug it in the way your having issues on your Samsung display and see if you have the same problem, if you don't, then its your Samsung...
I've updated my site, Drop On by the *New*
Macinfo.com

wkunee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 05:19 AM

Hi Dice,

I have the same problem with the same monitor connected with DVI to my mac mini G4.
The screen goes black when i minimze or use exposé.
When i connect via RGB there's no problem.
Have you already solved the problem???
I've read a possible solution at "http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/displays/topic3327.html"

dice  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 05:38 AM

No I haven't solved it yet, I'm waiting for my brother to bring his mac around to see if it happens to him. I read somewhere ages ago that Macs behave a bit differently to PCs when outputting over DVI something to do with if the mac doesn't detect a display it doesnt bother outputting anything which could result in the black screen... dunno why it wouldnt detect the display though...

Ah well done finding that macintouch link, i'll try the suggestions there...
sheesh, that took 8 hours for me to be asked to change my sig...

wkunee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 06:47 AM

Dice,

I've found an article with a how-to solution to this problem at Apple - Support - Discussions - New mac mini, new monitor, no DVI -- ...
I'm not at home so I can't try this now, maybe you could try the following? First you have to download SwitchResX

For being new to the Mac, you've done great so far, Amber. The EDID data was exactly what was needed to proceed. For the next steps, make sure you are running from DVI and do the following:

1. Open SwitchRes X and, if it is not already in Resolutions mode, click on the Resolutions icon along the top left of the window.
2. There is a bar that reads from left to right Display, Active, Usual VESA and Custom. Click on Custom.
3. On the right, click the New... button.
4. In the window that opens, make sure the check box that says "Use simplified settings:" is unchecked.
5. You will start filling in the boxes with data. Use the following:
Pixel clock: 127.68 MHz
Horizontal Active: 1680 pixels
Horizontal Front porch: 64 pixels
Horizontal Sync width: 128 pixels
Horizontal Back porch: 128 pixels
Vertical Active: 1050 lines
Vertical Front porch: 3 lines
Vertical Sync width: 6 lines
Vertical Back porch: 28 lines
The other boxes fill in automatically and should be 63.84 kHz for Horizontal scan rate and 60 Hz for Vertical scan rate. Make sure both boxes for positive sync are checked. Now click the OK button.
6. You should see your new timing added to the list and under Availability is should say After saving. Click the Apply button. Now the Availabilty status should change to After reboot.
7. After rebooting you should see the timing is available is now available under the Resolutions/Active settings for the SwitchRes window. If you see two resolutions with the same name, namely 1680 x 1050, double click on each one. You once you have confirmed which of the two is the one you just built by clicking on the Details button and confirming the values you just entered, I recommend clicking on the "Use custom resolution name" checkbox and then giving your resolution a unique name different from the other 1680 x 1050 resolution just so you can keep track of which is which.
8. You are now ready to test your resolution. Highlight it, hold your breath, and click on the Apply button. If all went well, you should have the native resolution you desire over the DVI output and hopefully it will now be stable. You need to click on the confirming message SwitchRes X will put up on the screen. If something went wrong, SwitchRes X will return you to the prevously used resolution in 15 seconds.

Good luck.

I hope it works!

wkunee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 02:52 PM

I've tested it and it works!!!

slick70+
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 05:43 PM

It's not the monitor - I have a 20" Formac screen that does this.

I'm going to dl SwitchResX and see if I can get it to stop.

Many thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules