Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The Cube is dead! Long live the Cube!

The Cube is dead! Long live the Cube!
Arlo
Jun 21, 2001, 01:42 PM

The obituary: http://www.macuser.co.uk/MacSurfer/p...e.php3?id=1159

So much for my visions of a 3x3 cluster of Cubes pounding out RC-5...

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2001, 02:08 PM

Well not really. There were very few sold as the article points out. Meaning that there will be little if any reason to make add on products specifically for the Cube. So long life the Cube????? Maybe and maybe not. Though there are graphics cards other than the original Rage Pro available, and of course memory there probably will not be any future options open to the Cube itself. Unless you consider firewire and usb as options. Though the Cube itself might be able to maintain some intrinsic value of some kind in the future, I doubt it will though as most people seem to opting for cheaper systems than the Cube ever was. As for what will replace it, who knows?????? But, it will obviously be between the IMac and the Towers, which will not make it all that cheap. If it has an LCD screen to it, then the $1300.00 price some have indicated might be possible and then again maybe not. If it were to have a G4 in it, there goes the the price again. As it will put whatever the new machine is right back up there, and it probably will not sell as well as one might think. So, I suspect yes to an LCD type IMAC but, without a G4 and most likely it will end up in reality being priced just above the now highest end IMac. Wish there might be another way to do it but, I sure don't see it. Too bad the Cube came along in such a bad ecconomy as we have now, actually it might have had better sales if certain things had been done differently in the first place. But, alas they were not!!!!!

WTWolfe
Jun 21, 2001, 02:14 PM

This article leaves me feeling excited and encouraged!!! Maybe my iCube will be born!!! G3 processor and Cube form factor!!! I already have a G4 but maybe it will be time for a new addittion to the family. My wife needs a Macintosh to call her own!!! The G4 and iBook SE FW are MINE!!! PLEASE BE AN iCUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

Phorte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2001, 02:23 PM

Kill the king, the king is dead, long live the king. I...am...the KING!

-Megadeth

Hehe sorry, just love Megadeth. Anyhoo I'm hoping they make it a low end G4, like a G4-466.

Macintosh_Kyle
Jun 23, 2001, 09:06 AM

The Cube will live, Apple are just busy trying to build a 'G5'.
Kyle F

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 11:00 AM

Ok, the Cube was expensive (very expensive) when it was first released. We all agree on that, right? What I don't understand is why Apple didn't really advertise the "REV 2" Cube when they updated to the CD-RW and started including an iMac like software package. When I was looking for a new Mac back in April, my one main requirement was to purchase a computer that was at least 500Mhz and of course fit into my budget. At that time I had the option of the 533Mhz tower or the 500Mhz Cube. To make a long story short (I know, to late) I went with a BTO Cube, 500Mhz and Nvidia card. I didn't upgrade the memory knowing that I could get better pricing on memory myself. I did take into consideration the whole expansion issue and considering in my old machine all I added was an ethernet card,an ATI graphics card and of course memory, PCI slots in my case were not a huge issue. Plus with USB and FireWire I don't see the Cube as limited. Apple really dropped the ball on this one. They had a "supercomputer" that could sit on a desktop. I hope it doesn't go, but then again I already have mine.

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 11:01 AM

Ok, the Cube was expensive (very expensive) when it was first released. We all agree on that, right? What I don't understand is why Apple didn't really advertise the "REV 2" Cube when they updated to the CD-RW and started including an iMac like software package. When I was looking for a new Mac back in April, my one main requirement was to purchase a computer that was at least 500Mhz and of course fit into my budget. At that time I had the option of the 533Mhz tower or the 500Mhz Cube. To make a long story short (I know, to late) I went with a BTO Cube, 500Mhz and Nvidia card. I didn't upgrade the memory knowing that I could get better pricing on memory myself. I did take into consideration the whole expansion issue and considering in my old machine all I added was an ethernet card,an ATI graphics card and of course memory, PCI slots in my case were not a huge issue. Plus with USB and FireWire I don't see the Cube as limited. Apple really dropped the ball on this one. They had a "supercomputer" that could sit on a desktop. I hope it doesn't go, but then again I already have mine.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2001, 01:43 PM

Consolidating the three active "R.I.P. Cube" threads into this one: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=12&t=003063

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules