Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The best way to fit memory

The best way to fit memory
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 08:46 AM

Could anyone tell me the best sequence to add memory chips in my mac. For example, I currently have 512mb installed in my G4/350 in the following manner

Slot 1: 64mb (3-2-2) that came preinstalled
Slot 2: 64mb (2-2-2)
Slot 3: 128mb (2-2-2)
Slot 4: 256mb (2-2-2)

Would I notice any speed/performance benefits from arranging them in a different order, for example:

Slot 1: 256mb (2-2-2)
Slot 2: 128mb (2-2-2)
Slot 3: 64mb (2-2-2)
Slot 4: 64mb (3-2-2) that came preinstalled

Any comments :-)

Cheers,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 20, 2001, 07:23 PM

In a G4 AGP it makes no difference. Below is quoted from Apple Dev site.

The main logic board has four RAM expansion slots for SDRAM DIMMs. At least one of the RAM expansion slots contains a factory installed SDRAM�DIMM.

The SDRAM DIMMs can be installed one or more at a time. The system supports linear memory organization; no performance gains are seen when two DIMMs of the same size are installed. Any supported size DIMM can be installed in any DIMM slot, and the combined memory of all of the DIMMs installed is configured as a contiguous array of memory.

The maximum memory size supported by Mac OS 9 is 1.5�GB.

ariella
Mar 20, 2001, 07:46 PM

for the best performance, use your second configuration. you always want the largest one first.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2001, 10:45 PM

Not only do you want the largest first, you should remove the 3-2-2 module so you are not slowing down your 2-2-2 modules. Memory will run at the highest latency on the bus, this case 3-2-2 so it would benefit you to remove it, afterall 64MB isn't that much anymore plus you could get a larger 2-2-2 real cheap now.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2001, 03:21 AM

I respectfully disagree with the last post. Not only does the order not matter (per the Apple Dev. site), but the effect of the 3-2-2 RAM is so negligible that I seriously doubt you would notice any difference (it's a matter of nanoseconds - see the FAQ at crucial.com). I'd rather have the extra RAM. I don't think you should worry about replacing it unless you need more.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2001, 03:45 AM

I'd have to agree with zigzag. Just because it sounds faster doesn't mean it is. Until I read any proof of this otherwise, I will remain stubborn

muttfree
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2001, 07:45 AM

it's NANOSECONDS folks, thats all the difference there is between 3-2-2 and 2-2-2 timing speeds. Not much unless you are doing VERY, VERY, VERY CPU-intensive calculations. The normal everday user is not going to notice any difference.

However, the statement about having the largest chip in the first slot is correct.

HTH
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 10:48 AM

I've actually heard it suggested that mixing 3-2-2 and 2-2-2 RAM can, in some cases, result in system instability.

Forum Links
Forum Rules