Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New imac G4, Does this mean G5?

New imac G4, Does this mean G5?
G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2002, 12:56 AM

Well what do you think?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>Well what do you think?</STRONG>
That is a very good Question.

I would like to see that. It would be awsome.
West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 01:01 AM

G5? probably not. heck we don't even know the speed in the LCD iMac. It could be a 733Mhz G4 or something.

Towers will stay G4 for a little while longer....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Telomar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 04:34 AM

The Time article states the following and I am assuming the reporter at least knew there wasn't going to be a processor switch for the PowerMacs.

the new iMac, which features a fast G4 chip, just like Apple's top-of-the-line machines.
Have to wait a little longer for the G5s.

scarab
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 05:31 AM

With G4s in the new iMacs, I would say that there is an increased possibility that we might actually see PowerMac G5s, even though it may not ship in 2 months or so.

Telomar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 05:32 AM

If they aren't going to release them for 2 months they will announce them at MW Tokyo. Either way the G5s are very close but I wouldn't expect them later today.

scarab
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 05:54 AM

True. I meant that Apple might give us some kind of sneak peek

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 09:28 AM

Though G5s are probably out of reach still, there is major implication of a G4-Superdrive iMac for $1800:

Apple has got to be simultaneously releasing a majorly revved up PowerMac

To be charging substantially more for the tower (without monitor vs. iMac w/monitor), they'e gotta have a processor/bus/etc ready to take another giant leap for MacKind! - certainly the iMac pix don't go (to my mind) "where no PC has gone before."

Let iMac have the visual appeal I'll take the performance appeal.

Now why did I throw away all those credit card offers?

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Love Calm Quiet ]
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

<CityGuy2003>
Jan 7, 2002, 10:41 AM

===too lazy to login===

I read the article on timecanada.com last night when i heard about it--and before they pulled it--and it implied that the PowerMacs will keep the G4 chip for now. The line was: the new iMac uses the G4 chip the same processor used in Apple's high-end PowerMac computers. Something like that...you get the idea.
But if you can now get an iMac with a G4 and SuperDrive then what is the incentive to buy a PowerMac?

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 10:49 AM

Considering that the G3 still exists today, the G5 probably won't be out for a while. However, what was the time span between the G3 chip and the G4 chip?
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

slipjack
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 11:13 AM

no.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

slipjack
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 11:14 AM

Not yet anyway... Not today that's for sure.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

raferx
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 03:18 PM

What a JOKE! A major coup blown again by MOTOROLA?!!? Why not even a mention of PMacs? Everything else was absolutely amazing, and mind-blowing...BUT where the f%$k are the PMacs? How can he make a major announcement to everything but what the majority of power uses have been waiting for? A DESKTOP THAT CAN COMPETE! Looks like my business will suffer even LONGER NOW THAT I HAVE TO WAIT TO UPGRADE MY PRO DESKTOPS! THANKS A LOT STEVE! "Beyond the rumour sites" It sure is, who the hell would have ever imagined a MWSF without 1 mention of desktops.
I'm really disappointed.
Cheers,
raferx

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 04:12 PM

People, the "beyond the rumor sites" was referring to what the rumor sites were predicting the iMac to look like as well as it's specs. Nothing more. This new iMac is WELL BEYOND anything that the rumor sites had speculated. That was the hype.

I do think this bodes well for the towers, very well. Now all towers should get at least combo drives, well over 1.0ghz and new case to match the new keyboard and mouse.

We just have to wait a month or two. I can, my wife wants an iMac so I can play on that till I can replace my G4 450 with a G5!!
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

<usr238>
Jan 7, 2002, 07:28 PM

Greetings, negative ones.

There is a lot of negativity floating around these forums of late, but personally, I don't think it is justified. The new iMac will be:

- difficult for other companies to knock off quickly.
- another iCatching design.
- an affordable way for consumers to get everything a Mac can offer.

As for the PowerMacs... I have a friend who works at a certain recording studio who told me several months ago that our old friend Jeff Goldblum was in to record the voiceover for the new G5 PowerMacs ads. I fully expected them to rear their fiery heads at MWSF as a result of this tid bit of info. Although they didn't materialize this time, I would venture to say that they aren't far off.

Anyway, cheer up everyone. Apple won't leave their precious PowerMacs at a performance level rivaled by their consumer systems for long. I predict they'll keep the G4 PowerMacs for a month or two more so that all the prosumers can say, "Hey, my iMac is as good as your PowerMac," for a while, and then they'll unleash the G5 in the pro line with speeds that will rock your frickin' socks off.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2002, 07:48 PM

This thread closed. Let's keep posts on how the iMac G4 may influence the next Power Mac G5 in one tidy thread so we don't have a bunch of duplicates: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=12&t=004492

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules