Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Worth it?: 1.25 dual G4 to Mac mini?

Worth it?: 1.25 dual G4 to Mac mini?
air
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 11:04 AM

Right now I'm in college and I really hate having to move this huge dual 1.25 mdd g4 tower back and forth between my home and my dorm every vacation break.

I already have a really nice new samsung widescreen, and I think its about time I jump in and get a new intel mac.

How much faster is the mac mini going to be?
I will mostly use it for photoshop, illustrator, torrents, web browsing, and music

thanks for any input

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2007, 11:20 AM

Will you upgrade ps and ill to universal versions? If not, then potentially not very much faster.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 11:43 AM

What I would do would be to get a Macbook. It's more powerful than the mini, it's portable, and you can still hook it up to that external monitor when you're at home.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 11:53 AM

the macbook isn't that much 'more powerful' than the mini (seeing that the top end mini is the same as the low end macbook), although i do agree with its portability being a big plus
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2007, 12:31 PM

Sounds like a good solution - it looks like it's the portability, not the speed, that you really want anyway.

air  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 12:49 PM

I already have a PowerBook G4 12" 1.5ghz, but I know its hd is going to fail me soon. I like having a desktop and a portable.

I would upgrade the adobe apps to their universal versions.

I just figure I can sell the powermac for around 400-500 and exchange it for a faster mac mini? Will I be disappointed by mac mini performance though? I heard the hard drive is not very fast.

nate_02
Senior User
Aug 30, 2007, 01:13 PM

I personally wouldn't use either the Mac Mini or MacBook for graphics work since the graphics cards use shared memory. Maybe they would be fine, but the older Mac Mini I use isn't great on the graphics. The newer ones could be better though.
-nate

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2007, 01:54 PM

Are you a long way from an Apple Store? Go play with one.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 04:11 PM

if you have a powerbook for mobile use, the mac mini is a no brainer unless you could spring for an imac and ditch your monitor or get a mac pro and keep the monitor.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

air  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 07:53 PM

I really love the monitor, and I as much as I love the new iMacs, I don't think I can spring the extra cash right now.

I guess I'll go with the mac mini

thank you everyone for your input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules