Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Creating HDR Photos (with a cool sample photo)

Creating HDR Photos (with a cool sample photo)
alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2008, 03:48 PM

I'm interested in creating an HDR photo, but I don't know how. I see some links from Google pointing to various programs, but I'd like a recommendation from someone who has done this before.

Can anyone provide a tutorial for us?

Here is a sample of a real photograph, after HDR processing. It was taken from Amazing Hdr Photo Of A Crane

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2008, 04:40 PM

there's this really great company out there called google. i just used one of their search services and they sent me this. incredible.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography in Photoshop CS2

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 10:50 AM

Please see my original post. I've googled it already, but buying a program just for this is risky without advice from someone who has done it before. I'd have to buy CS2. Thus, I was hoping for advice here first.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by air View Post
there's this really great company out there called google. i just used one of their search services and they sent me this. incredible.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography in Photoshop CS2
Arse! Read the post before you mouth off.

alligator, I'm very interested in this as well. I just got CS3 and will be trying it on an upcoming project. If anyone has played around with this, please let us know.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 21, 2008, 07:32 PM

I have been highly interested in this also. I found a program and need to look it up (I'm working) but here is a great guide me and my friend found.

Vanilla Days : HDR Tutorial: How to create ‘High Dynamic Range’ images using Photomatix

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 09:20 PM

I've heard of Photomatrix, but I also hear it gives halos around objects that are unwanted. Hopefully someone has experience with this before I try purchasing some software and realize I made a mistake.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2008, 08:47 AM

I've been using Photomatix Pro occasionally, it's quite nice. Requires a bit of care with the source images, but you don't necessarily get halos, at least I don't. There's a trial version available, should be good enough to decide whether it's worth the $99 to you.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 23, 2008, 10:24 AM

Can this be done with Pixelmator or PSE?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2008, 05:00 AM

Photomatix and Photoshop both, can produce pretty and ugly HDR images.

Photomatix is simpler though.

There's a million HDR images out there and most are made with one of those two programs. Nothing risky about it.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules