Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 ??'s 533 DP and RAM

2 ??'s 533 DP and RAM
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2001, 12:02 PM

Hi,

My first question is: I am looking for a new 533 DP and am having trouble finding places that sell it. It is usually the SP 533. I did find it at powermax but would like to shop around more. Does anyone have any helpfull sources to check it out/buy online?

2nd: I want to get 2 - 256 MB SDRAM for it and have heard that there are different types, like 2,2,2 or 3,2,2. Can someone fill me in on what this means and what I should ask for when buying RAM?

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2001, 12:17 PM

The DP 533 is a BUILD TO ORDER option ONLY. You can only get it at the Apple Store Online (unless some place out there ordered it BTO... which RARELY happens.

Can't help you with the RAM question, however.

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2001, 12:29 PM

Are there 3 or 4 total RAM slots on the new G4?

RobertL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2001, 01:10 PM

I just received a DPG4 533 from Apple. I can confirm that it has "THREE" RAM slots.

Rob

JJ-unreg
Feb 19, 2001, 01:13 PM

The 533 MP ships with a 128MB module in one DIMM slot, which leaves three free,

You should get PC133 2-2-2 RAM. Do *not* buy it from the Apple Store, as their prices are 3 to four times what you would pay elsewhere. I've had good luck (but am not affliliated) with these people:
http://eshop.macsales.com/

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2001, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info.

What is "2-2-2" memory and what are its advantages?

Thanks,

fishguy

RobertL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2001, 03:41 PM

JJ is correct in regards to the type of memory but is incorrect in the number of RAM slots. Like I said in my post above the Dual Processor 533 G4 has only "Three" ram slots. I took the standard 128MB DIMM out and replaced it with three 512MB PC133 2-2-2 DIMM's. Below is a text I copied from http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html concerning the 533 G4 memory configuration.

Rob

-------------------------------

Memory
128MB or 256MB of PC133 SDRAM
Three DIMM slots support up to 1.5GB of PC133 SDRAM using the following (1):
�32MB, 64MB or 128MB DIMMs (64-bit-wide, 64Mbit technology)
�128MB or 256MB DIMMs (64-bit-wide, 128Mbit technology)
�512MB DIMMs (64-bit-wide, 256Mbit technology)

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2001, 03:42 PM

Actually, there are only three RAM slots... It will leave two RAM slots free. See, the Digital Audio Power Macintosh G4 motherboards ALL have only three RAM slots that support up to 1/2 a gigabyte per slot of PC133MHz SDRAM.

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

JJ-unreg
Feb 19, 2001, 04:10 PM

Mea culpa, fishguy - I'm surprised that Apple eliminated one of the sockets - thanks to the others for setting me straight.

Re: 2-2-2 RAM, the short answer is that it's faster. If you want a techincal discussion, search the forum for the word 'latency' and you'll find several threads that will address the issue in detail. When I got my 500 DP, it came from Apple with a stick of 3-2-2 RAM (thanks Apple), and I bought 512MB of 2-2-2 RAM. When I tested RAM performance using a utility called 'Stream,' I found that RAM performance dropped about 8% when the 3-2-2 stick was present (if you mix 3-2-2 and 2-2-2 RAM everything slows to 3-2-2 to accomodate the slower stick). Whether the difference is a big deal or not is open to question, but hey, I forked out to get a 500 DP and I wanted my extra 8%! Hope this helps.

ariella
Feb 19, 2001, 07:21 PM

here are some faq's on memory: http://support.crucial.com/scripts/crucial.exe/faq

(don't mind the shipping questions...)

CL2 parts process data a little quicker than CL3 parts in that you have to wait one less clock cycle for the initial data. However, after the first piece of data is processed, the rest of the data is processed at equal speeds. Latency only affects the initial burst of data. Once data starts flowing, there is no effect. Bear in mind, a clock cycle for a PC100 module is 10 nanoseconds so you probably won't notice a significant performance difference. Most systems will accept either latency part. However, there are some systems that require either CL2 or CL3 parts.

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2001, 01:06 AM

I got my 533DP from PowerMax which you already know about - I highly recommend them. You can also get a Dual from Small Dog and avoid paying sales tax unlike the Apple Store.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2001, 03:13 AM

The difference between 2-2-2 and 3-2-2:

CL2 (2-2-2) parts process data a little quicker than CL3 (3-2-2) parts in that you have to wait one less clock cycle for the initial data. However, after the first piece of data is processed, the rest of the data is processed at equal speeds. Latency only affects the initial burst of data. Once data starts flowing, there is no effect. Bear in mind, a clock cycle for a PC100 module is 10 nanoseconds so you probably won't notice a significant performance difference. Most systems will accept either latency part. However, there are some systems that require either CL2 or CL3 parts.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2001, 04:56 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all the great info. Now, where can I find a good, reliable 512 MB PC133 2-2-2 Ram? Crucial has one but it is over $600. Other sites do not clearly specify if their memory is cl2 or cl3. Data memory systems seems to be reccomended and has 512 for $189, but at that price I would suspect that it is cl3. Can anyone steer me to a good site? I like the idea of ramseeker, but they don't categorize the output, everything is lumped together.

Thanks,

fishguy

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2001, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by fishguy:
Can anyone steer me to a good site? I like the idea of ramseeker, but they don't categorize the output, everything is lumped together.
Try Transintl. They are a very good company and have CL2 at good prices (512Mb, CL2 for $199).
Not sure where you live, but they're in California so if you live here like me you'll have to pay sales tax.

Forum Links
Forum Rules