Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Two Cube Questions...help?

Two Cube Questions...help?
jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 07:33 PM

I'm pretty much set on getting a cube with the cd r/w... questions...

first, is there a big difference between 400 and 500 mhz models (mainly surf, iMovie, a LITTLE photoshop, and iTunes to CD)

Also, what is the best video card for what I do? I'm not a gamer so is the 128 ok or would I be best served with the Gforce2 or Radeon. Honestly, the idea of the fan in the radeon doesn't sit well with me but curious all the same.

thanks for your help!!!!!

cygnusx1
Feb 22, 2001, 07:42 PM

based on your usage, i wouldn't go with the 500, since it's really not 25% faster like math would tell you.

as for the graphics, i think xlr8yourmac.com had a comparison which showed that normal users (non-gamers) would do well with the 128 pro (that's what i have on my 8600 and i don't feel like i'm swimming in molasses). someone else will probably add exact links to the reviews -- it's a hot topic of discussion.

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 07:45 PM

yeah... there is quite a difference in a 400 vs a 500 cube.... but if you dont do photoshop, or imovie, or play hard core games the 400 would be ok. itunes to cd will be as fast on either model...

as for the graphics card, if you dont do anything graphics heavy... the rage 128 will be ok, but i would say go with the radion if you can afford it (and tolerate the fan)

There's someone in my head but its not me...

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 08:12 PM

I suggest that you buy the 400MHz model with the ATI 128 card, all based on what you plan to use it for. Perhaps you can use some of the money you save on some ram (being that it is so cheap right now) and be set for a long, long time.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 08:38 PM

don't be mistaken: the difference is really only 50 MHz ... the slower Cube is @ 450 MHz. And the ATI 128 Pro is fine if you're not a hardcore gamer. All the 3D games I've used are playable enough.

jmatero  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 09:46 PM

Great advice guys.... but this brings up another question... I was leaning towards the cd r/w vs the std. dvd and getting an external because the "burn" software that works with the internal CD r/w seems so great... just drag and drop. Do you think the "burn" software will ever work with external drives? Maybe OSX? From what you all are saying, the best bet would just be to spend the $1299 and get the stripped model and load it with RAM bt the CDr/w built in sure seems cool. If I do go that route, can anyone suggest a fast firewire drive? I have an Iomega ZipCD650 USB which is SLOW and doesn't work well with toast.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 10:15 PM

I've got the 500 MHZ Cube with the DVD-Rom and I love it. However, in addition to the 50MHZ of speed you only get bragging rights with the 500 MHZ G4 and that will end at the next Macworld when there are faster chips. BUt don't get me wrong I love my 500 MHZ Cube and I don't regret getting it. It's been a real gem.

Now as far as the DVD-Rom drive, well....

DVD-Rom was really intended for Software to be released in the DVD format for the greater storage room. But publishers have not switched and you'll find very little software released in the DVD format. I have watched a movie or two on my Cube and they looked marvelous, but I've got a DVD player hooked to a 32 inch Sony WEGA TV with 100 watt surround sound stereo system, why would I want to watch a DVD on my Cube? I have a Que CD-RW drive hooked to my Cube and I use that all the time!!!! I use it to back up my Cube, transport software, I even make music CD's for my car. If my Cube had a CD-RW instead of the DVD I would not have noticed the difference.

In Retrospect I would have BTO'd a 500 MHZ Cube with Min. memory and HD but with the CD-RW then, when I got it I would have added my own 60 Gig 7200 RPM Hard Drive and put in two 256 MB Chips because memory is so chip(unless you get it from Apple.)
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

jmatero  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 10:52 PM

Really... good point John.... what video card of the three would you go for? the 128pro, the Radeon or the G-force? I'm worried about going for the Radeon because 1: it has a fan and 2: Apple seems to be abandoning ATI. Yet, I've heard the 128Pro has just as good (if not better) 2D graphics capabilities over the G-force 2 MX. What would you do? Of course, if you buy from the applestore, you have to pay tax (a nice chunk right there). any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Logicdaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 11:49 PM

I am faced with a smilar problem, I want the Cube for digital Audio, don't care for 3d graphics, so I need a CDR, considering that you get a 60 Gb 7400 drive and 256 with the top model I think I would go for that, or shall I just get the low end one and buy the extras..... I think the top one is worth it

ariella
Feb 23, 2001, 12:03 AM

if you are referring to itunes as the "burning software" take a look here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/compatibility/

and it only burns audio cd's, no?

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2001, 12:09 AM

If I were to buy a video card for my Cube today I would buy the Geforce 2 because it's better than the ATI card and not as expensive as the Radeon and it supports my 15" LCD Apple Studio Display. BUT......

If I were buying a Cube BTO from the Apple Store today, I would, hands down, choose the Radeon! It's a much better card then the ATI 128 and better than the Geforce 2 and doesn't cost much more.

The fan is not much of an issue to me. The Cube is very quiet, and the teeny tiny fan on the Radeon card is not a big deal. Unless your trying to hold Apple "literally" to the quietest computer claim.
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2001, 12:16 AM

In your case I think the 450MHz with the Rage 128 would be fine for you, just get extra RAM and make sure you don't get the RAM from the Apple Store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules