Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Improvements on the G4, and how to make it better

Improvements on the G4, and how to make it better
BuckarooBanzai9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 10:49 AM

We've all been hearing about the controversy around a lot of Apple's new products, but here is something I haven't seen mentioned thus far: Apple now include the BTO option for a Zip 250 instead of a Zip 100. I haven't been checking on this regualarly, so I don't know how recent that is, but I know it's been a long time in the coming.

Now, onto dissapointments. The pricing on the Cubes and iMacs went up; the iMac by $100 (and goofy designs that won't appeal to schools) and the Cube by way of lost features (thereby lowering the price/performance ratio).

WOW! The Mac has a CD-RW option now! narf, who cares? What I want to see is a full BTO option list for the following:
1-CD-ROM
2-CD-RW
3-DVD player/CD-RW (Toshiba SD-R1002 is a good start, slow but good)
4-"Super Drive"

**OR**
Don't use option 3, and instead have the option for adding something in the second 5.25" bay.

These are all simple options and I hope Apple (meaning Steve Jobs) will get it's (his) head out of the sand, before Appple is just another sand in time.

------------------

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 01:50 PM

g4's dont have a second 5.25 inch bay, the second bay is 3 inches and can only fit zipdrives and ide hardrives

[This message has been edited by Jsnuff1 (edited 02-23-2001).]

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2001, 02:35 PM

I think apple goofed when they forgot to include the standard audion in port.

Since they left that out, they should have at least included a cheap USB mic to ship with these expensive towers.
spam, this means nothing

BeneathHisFeet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 02:39 PM

The lack on analog audio in is a frustration. As a musician, it's not easy to record audio on a mutlitrack audio recorder and then make an mp3 to post online without analog audio in.

scott brown
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 02:46 PM

as a musician, why would you want to use the noisey analog > digital conversion inside the machine? things like the internal fan add a lot of noise to a signal coming in

you'd be better off getting a separate card with analog (or better yet digital) ins that have their *own* electronics
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE
17in PB 1.33/1GB/80(5400rpm)

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2001, 02:53 PM

I agree with Scott Brown. But, what BeneathHisFeet means with "without an analog in"? Isn't the mic in, analog?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

BeneathHisFeet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 02:56 PM

A card is a better solution than built-in line in, sure. It's also more expensive. For quick and dirty demos, or streaming media the built in analog port was fine.

mic in = analog in = line in. Whatever you call it, it won't be found on the Power Macintosh G4 (Digital Audio). It's not a deal-braker though. I ordered a 733. ;-)

ariella
Feb 23, 2001, 04:32 PM

sure they don't have a second 5.25 bay. but they should. if this is their largest, most upgradable, machine then they should have room for at least two 5.25 drives. to me, that is one of their largest mistakes.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2001, 04:53 PM

Who cares? Hook up an external device if you're so worried. I'm pretty sure you can pick up IDE/SCSI -> USB or IDE/SCSI -> FireWire for $30. So it isn't internal, big flippin' deal.

What would having an additional 5.25 bay do? So you can stick a CD-ROM inside your tower instead of on top or next to it? You save a whopping 2".
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 05:00 PM

You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

External drives cost much more than internal ones.

You are trying to make an argument about why G4s shouldn't have an extra bay, yet you don't seem to have any other reason than "Apple designed it, therefore it's fine."

ariella
Feb 23, 2001, 05:58 PM

heh, DoctorGonzo.

and ole Pigeon, i care. do i really want to be plugging components in everywhere? nope. i'd rather have two internal drives. my preference. sure external drives are an idea but not something i would want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules