Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: iMac 17" G5 $100

FS: iMac 17" G5 $100
justmetoo
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2010, 09:17 AM

Hello,

17" iMac G5, 1.25 GB RAM, with recently replaced power supply (itself over $100) is for sale at $100 or best offer. Will also pass along the core of the original PS (which needs new capacitors).

After many years of good service, this iMac has succumbed to the known capacitor issue (no blown caps though), but too late to be considered for the replacement program outside of California (tried whining over the phone to a senior Apple tech advisor, but the techies at my MD Apple Store held firm).

This computer can be fixed! I investigated the DIY capacitor kits and instructs (links below), and if I had more experience with a soldering iron I wouldn't hesitate, but then bought a mini on "Cyber" Monday for my wife. I do not want to see this otherwise good computer tossed into the junk/recycling heap...

MOBO instructs
Apple iMac G5 Motherboards DIY Repairs Bad Caps Fix How to Guide | According to Jim

29 caps:
Apple 29 Capacitors Kit Apple iMac G5 Motherboard Capacitors Kit PPC iMacs - J West Sales Repair Parts Capacitors iMac G5 PSU MOB

Power Supply caps A or B or C or D or E?:
Apple iMac G5 Power Supplies Capacitors G5 PSU Bad Caps Repairs | According to Jim

Jlwolfer
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2010, 07:53 PM

So this is a working iMac? Your post is a little confusing to me. If indeed its working I'll take it. Also what size hdd does it have?
1.83 C2D Mini, 12" PB 867mhz. Now iPhone enabled!!!!

justmetoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2010, 01:48 PM

Apologies, I figured this part of the post was obvious...
Originally Posted by justmetoo View Post
This computer can be fixed! I investigated the DIY capacitor kits and instructs (links below), and if I had more experience with a soldering iron I wouldn't hesitate...
It starts up and runs well for a time, but then the display gets garbled by vertical blocks and lines, an understood symptom of the bad capacitors. The capacitors need to be replaced, see links.

If still interested, send a PM. I'm in Northern Maryland, so you aren't far away. As mentioned, the power supply is worth over $100 by itself and has only 6 months or so of use.

So maybe I should offer a solid iMac G5 power supply for $100, and I'll throw in the iMac while I'm at it

reader50
Administrator
Dec 7, 2010, 02:50 PM

That sounds more to me like an overheating GPU. That it runs fine until something warms up.

Perhaps remove the heat sink on the GPU, clean the surfaces, and apply fresh heatsink glue ... for $100, it's not a bad gamble.

Forum Links
Forum Rules