Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I turn on my IR port?

How do I turn on my IR port?
niko
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2002, 10:51 AM

How do I turn on my IR port on my new Ti 667? (please refrain from the obvious jokes)

Is it always on? I am trying to synch my Palm with the Beta software and am having some trouble.

Any advice would be appreciated.

scarab
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2002, 11:05 AM

System Preferences -> Network should tell you that the OS has detected a new IR port and ask you to configure it. I'm sorry I can't help you with the configuration process as I disabled this port.

ibchen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2002, 01:44 AM

I know that this should go over to "PDA". but bare with me if you happen to open this topic.

Well, Niko, I may be wrong, but just tell you about my recent experience on Hotsync: BP IR port detected signal from Palm handheld when you activate Hotsync from your Palm handheld. At least, it was the case for my PB 667. I did not do anything on network setting (I use ethernet. and IR port is not selected in network setting.) .AlsoI think that when you enable Hotsync from the manu bar of Palm 4.0, BP IR port should be on (remember to enable your Hotsync under Hotsync control and choose IrDA as one of your Hotsync options).

I only suceeded once on Hotsync using IR port under Palm 4.0 beta. There has been a problem on establising a connection between my Palm and BP. I have given up using Palm 4.0 beta. Try to use a cradle. There are several successful cases reported in "PDA" discussion board. Good luck and let me know if you can Sync using IR port.
PB G4 667, 512RAM, 30 gig HD, DVD, OSX; Palm IIIxe

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 6, 2002, 05:34 PM

Hi,

On my 550 TiBook I selected the IrDA modem port in Network Prefs then enabled "Show IrDA status in menu bar". You can then turn the IrDA on and off there. It also shows you what is happening with the port.

Good Luck!

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 6, 2002, 05:35 PM

Hi,

On my 550 TiBook I selected the IrDA modem port in Network Prefs then enabled "Show IrDA status in menu bar". You can then turn the IrDA on and off there. It also shows you what is happening with the port.

Good Luck!

niko  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2002, 10:22 PM

All I had to do was reboot and I am synching with the IR port. No problems!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules