Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > UBB or DCForum 6.1? Misha?

UBB or DCForum 6.1? Misha?
MMJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2001, 01:22 PM

I'm in the process of starting up a new web page with discussion forum and I have narrowed the software down to two:

UBB by www.infopop.com (what forums.macnn.com is obviously)

and

DCForum 6.1 by www.dcscripts.com (ie www.dcscripts.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=confDCF )

I've used UBB a lot for numerous forums, but then I checked out DCForums a bit and liked how threads could have tree view in UBB mode (see: www.dcscripts.com/dcforum/dcfSuggest/198.html ) and just how customizable it is (see: www.backcountryworld.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi for a comparison to the earlier site listed)

Going through what each can do, the only thing I see UBB doing that DCForum can't (that I'm aware of) is "search for all posts by user" and the ability of moderators to edit posts rather than outright deleting them.

So what do people have to say when comparing the two? Pros/cons? UBB will cost me $249 and DCForum would cost $69.

TIA

[This message has been edited by MMJ (edited 03-11-2001).]

ariella
Mar 11, 2001, 04:39 PM

i find that http://www.phpbb.com is the best bulletin board out there. it not only has all of the extras, and is faster than any cgi based board, it's also free. but you have to have php/mysql support for this.

i would go with whatever you find is the easiest to set up and maintain.

Cipher13
Mar 12, 2001, 03:08 AM

Other bulletin boards are www.ikonboard.com, UBB, vBulletinBoard, www.ub2k.com, and... there are a few others which I forgot

Cipher13

MMJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2001, 05:09 PM

Unfortunately I won't have php/mysql support for a few months and I've pretty well narrowed it down to DCForums 6.1 and UBB vers 5/6b. What I'd like to know is what people have to say about them pro/con who have Admind the them like Misha for example. It would be cool to learn how the decision was made to use UBB verses the other for MacNN too.

But I do appreciate the other suggestions and links you two brought up, thanks.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2001, 05:42 PM

I would not recommend using a mySQL based BBS. The problem is SQL connections. Most hosts limit the connections to prevent abuse, and a dedicated server is very limited, thus there are many stalls during high load, and could cause your host to suspend your account.

I would recommend ikon board as well as UBB, but not anything with mySQL (virtually all PHP based boards). They are nothing but trouble. They are also more processor intensive.

------------------
MacVillage.net Owner/Webmaster
http://www.macvillage.net
Macintosh Portal
Email, Free Tech Support, Web Space, Search, Directory, and MUCH MORE!

MMJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2001, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the tip macvillage, what about DCForum or WWWBoard when it comes to handling load. I DON'T want WWWBoard, but I need more ammo than "it sucks" to rule against it in this group effort that I'm in.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2001, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't use anything with mySQL. Since PHP is not good for DBM style boards, that rules out any PHP based systems.

I would stick with perl based systems since they are very efficient with DBM. MacNN has learned this the hard way it seems.

------------------
MacVillage.net Owner/Webmaster
http://www.macvillage.net
Macintosh Portal
Email, Free Tech Support, Web Space, Search, Directory, and MUCH MORE!

Forum Links
Forum Rules