Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can you have 2 OS X systems, separate partitions??

Can you have 2 OS X systems, separate partitions??
whalebird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2002, 01:59 PM

I have 4 partitions on a Summer 2000 iMac DV. One has been used for OS X (currently 10.1.3), one for Classic apps, and two others for versions of OS 9.

I decided to get rid of 9.1 and replace it with another copy of OS X. I figued it would be helpful to have a working version of 10.1.x, and then try out 10.2 and beyond on a separate partition. I have an original OS 10.0 disk, an original 10.1 disk, and have saved all of the updates from Apple after 10.1.

I cleaned out the partition (2 gigs), including all invisible files that File Buddy showed. I installed 10.0.1, no problem. I updated to OS 10.1, no problem. When I tried to do the 10.1.3 combo update, I got an error message saying I needed the Installer Update. I have that saved (v1.0), and I tried to install it, but none of the drives were indicated as available for updating (all were greyed out). I then tried the 10.1.1 update, but same result--no drives not greyed out. I then tried the online Software Update Preference option, but I either get an error message, or it says I am up to date (even though I am back in last fall's OS 10.1). There is still 900 megs available on the partition.

Any ideas as to the problem? Is is not possible to have two versions of OS X on the same drive, even if it is partitioned?

Thanks....

gaffa
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2002, 02:39 PM

I have had a number of machines with more than one OS X partition on them. So it's not that, it must be something else.

Cheers

Gaffa.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2002, 04:08 PM

Just wanted to second with a success story...I have OS X and OS X Server on different partitions on my quicksilver, and it's always worked fine.

whalebird  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2002, 05:07 PM

OK, I did a bit more research, and found a Knowledge Base article that referred to the Security Update, posted last October (not the Network Security one released recently). Necessary to install it before procedding to further updates. Forgot I had done that last Ocotber.

I downloaded it, and it installed fine. Then I did the Installer Update (also last fall), no problems. Then 10.1.1, no problems. Would not take the Installer Update before the Security Update, however; the latter had to be done 1st.

It appears I solved the problem...

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules