Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 20 Questions (Not The Game, Just About 20 Of Them)

20 Questions (Not The Game, Just About 20 Of Them)
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 02:13 PM

Heres my story. Over the past couple weeks or so, I've racked up quite a few questions that I should have just asked right away but haven't. Many of them probably belong in the Mac OS X section or the Gaming section or the iPod section, but as I didn't want to make threads for all of those, I'm gonna post them all in one here.
You can think I'm retarded and not answer me, or answer them all, or whichever ones you know. All help is appreciated, though most of the questions are just to satisfy my curiosity.

1) Occasionally on my iPod touch, the volume changer that appears in the middle of the screen on a Mac when you change the volume with the keyboard will appear on my touch. Any idea how this is happening? I don't have the newer iPod touch with the volume controls on the outside, so thats not it.

2) I thought of a simple, fun feature that I might be of some use for Safari. Just let me know what you think of it. When you go to drag a tab out in to a new window, and its still in that small, transparent thumbnail view, it would be nice if you could keep dragging that tab to the dock to minimize it.

3) With the notification system for the iPhone/iTouch, that hopefully will someday finally make an appearance, do you think bookmarking an RSS feed in mobile Safari, either in your bookmarks or on the homescreen, will produce an auto-updating icon, with a 1,2,3, etc... pin on it for how many new feeds there are? I was a little bummed this didn't work in the first place.

4) Laugh as much as you want, and I'll still admit it. I play RuneScape. Because of my crappy satellite Internet, any other MMORPG was out of the question, but I've really grown to like it. Well, they released a graphical update a few months back that was pretty significant, one of the options being running the game in full-screen at any resolution you want/need. I can do this, but there appears to be a glitch with Mac's when using fullscreen. Clicking anywhere near the top of the game, where the system bar would be on your desktop, makes you click right through the game and hit the button on the bar. This exits fullscreen and is very annoying. I was hoping someone knew of a way to maybe fix this? Maybe like an AppleScript that would hide the system bar when Java went to fullscreen?

5) iCal seems to be nerfed a little for me.
One- the shaking/ringing alarm clock no longer appears on pop-up reminders. Just a black box...

Two- The alarms, when brought by the dock, will go over the dock itself but under the icons. This might be normal to everyone, I don't know...

6) I recently watched the DVD of The Number 23. Well, on the DVD there was a DMG file, so I opened it up and it was described as an interactive program for watching the movie. Surprised something was on a disc for Mac's, I installed it, and found it to be pretty average. It opened a fullscreen application with part of the screen dedicated to the movie, part dedicate to the script of the movie, as it played, and part to extra pics, videos, etc... relating to that particular scene. Nothing too great, but it was cool, and the best part was that it actually ran on a Mac.

7) Found this odd picture on the web...

You can clearly see the dock on the bottom, then the Vista gadgets and start/task bar at the side and top, respectively. Is this possible? Or is it just a photoshop job? Oh, it came up from a Mirror's Edge search, explaining the background.

I'm sure with the amount I've typed, I won't get many responses, but at least I can delete my Stickies of questions now, hehe
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 02:15 PM

20 questions? There's not even 20 question marks in this thread. [/total dick]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 02:21 PM

You can dock emulating software for windows. I don't know what it's called, but it's out there.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
When you go to drag a tab out in to a new window, and its still in that small, transparent thumbnail view
I didn't actually know you could do that. Thanks Dave.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I didn't actually know you could do that. Thanks Dave.
No problem. You lost me with the Dave though.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 17, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
You can dock emulating software for windows. I don't know what it's called, but it's out there.
It looks like this is possibly the case. I haven't touched Parallels in a while but I know it had a feature that would let you put the Windows taskbar on your Mac desktop.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
No problem. You lost me with the Dave though.
It's official "call everyone Dave week", Dave.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 06:42 PM

fusion lets me put windows apps in the doc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules