Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Twilight

Twilight
Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 08:35 AM

Are there any Twilight fans here?

Yesterday was the movie premiere here in Dominican Republic (after 2+ months of waiting). For me it was an excellent representation for everything that happened on the book. They didn't create or altered parts of the story to make it fit.

The movie theater was packed with people from all ages. I don't think I've seen that with ohter movies!

So, what are your thoughts of Twilight (movie or book)?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 11:49 AM

Since I am not a 13-year-old girl, I think it's pretty stupid.

The anti-Twilight argument on this page pretty much sums it up:
http://tinyurl.com/6pxsgg

All glory to the hypnotoad.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2009, 01:50 PM

It's a story written about vampires...

That aren't vampires. WTF, they can go out in the sun and they get sparkly? It's NOT about overt sexuality and primal lust? Well then WHY USE VAMPIRES?!?!?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 02:19 PM

Virgin vampires that don't suck blood, do not want to seduce women, and don't die in the sunlight...

What's the point? Dawson's Creek with fangs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 02:43 PM

Sorry, I'm going to have to join the haters.

The movie was better than the book, which was just painful. I think it's because Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart and Catherine Hardwicke are actually more talented than the original author. The worst parts were the ones that got changed the least from the book ("And then the lion fell in love with the lamb…").

I'm told the later books are much better, but I'll never know, because if I have to read the phrase "Edward grinned" again I will claw my eyeballs out. And this is coming from somebody whose entertainment motto is, "If you don't feel guilty, it isn't really a pleasure."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2009, 02:46 PM

I never heard of Twilight, therefore it must suck or be for young children.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Both, actually.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post

That aren't vampires. WTF, they can go out in the sun and they get sparkly? It's NOT about overt sexuality and primal lust? Well then WHY USE VAMPIRES?!?!?

The reason why the existence and description of vampires is a myth is because no one knows for sure how they are, so if the author of Twilight wants vampires that get sparkly in the sun and fall in love with a human it is HER CHOICE. When you meet a vampire and prove that they cannot go out in the sun and reject lust please tell me, and I'll approve your comment.

And even if it was true, Peter Parker is human and no one complains about his getting powers with the bite of a radioactive spider. Wonder Woman drives an invisible airplane that obviously no one can see, but somehow she manages to see it, and drive it! These are famous stories that most people love, and there's no chance they could happen.

People love difference, things out of the ordinary, thats the reason why Stephenie Meyer used a different version of what we consider vampires.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 08:44 PM

The only people that I know that enjoy the books are between 12-17, and they are female.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2009, 08:57 PM

It's a little long... but I thought this was rather funny...

If 'Twilight' Was 10 Times Shorter And 100 Times More Honest

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mabelusk View Post
The reason why the existence and description of vampires is a myth is because no one knows for sure how they are, so if the author of Twilight wants vampires that get sparkly in the sun and fall in love with a human it is HER CHOICE. When you meet a vampire and prove that they cannot go out in the sun and reject lust please tell me, and I'll approve your comment.

And even if it was true, Peter Parker is human and no one complains about his getting powers with the bite of a radioactive spider. Wonder Woman drives an invisible airplane that obviously no one can see, but somehow she manages to see it, and drive it! These are famous stories that most people love, and there's no chance they could happen.

People love difference, things out of the ordinary, thats the reason why Stephenie Meyer used a different version of what we consider vampires.
Oh come on, at least use your real account if you want to say that you actually believe in vampires. This is mocking material for the next century. Vampires are a myth generated quite a long time ago and then were used by Christians to scare people off from being sexually promiscuous. The author was not using this legend, so why would she use the name that was linked with it? Why not come up with her own creature that goes bump in the night who can fall in love with humans? I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer managed to use something that quite well resembles the original vampire myth to tell a story about human/vampire love without completely tossing all the lore attached to it out. She is attempting to ignore a good bit of mythological history for her own gain rather than being creative herself.

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post

That article is soo funny!

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post

Saturday Night Life gone wrong. Funny

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 11:18 PM

Oh come on, at least use your real account if you want to say that you actually believe in vampires. This is mocking material for the next century. Vampires are a myth generated quite a long time ago and then were used by Christians to scare people off from being sexually promiscuous. The author was not using this legend, so why would she use the name that was linked with it? Why not come up with her own creature that goes bump in the night who can fall in love with humans? I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer managed to use something that quite well resembles the original vampire myth to tell a story about human/vampire love without completely tossing all the lore attached to it out. She is attempting to ignore a good bit of mythological history for her own gain rather than being creative herself.
I'm actually a new user, and registered after I saw your comment because I had to reply it. Who do you think I am? No, I don't believe in vampires, and if you really read my post you would have seen where I wrote that vampires were a MYTH.

She might be "ignoring mythological history for her own gain", but this still applies to other stories, like Spider Man and Wonder Woman -as I mentioned earlier-, who are human, and whose authors aren't denying some mythological history, but our own. I trust you don't watch/read those 'creativity scarce' stories.

If you hate Twilight so much, just don't read it and write a book with your own new mythical character.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 11:30 PM

Here in DR Twilight is kind of popular regardless of age and sex. Yesterday in the movies there was a group of 40-year-old women screaming even more than the teens there. That was hilarious. Also, I know more guys beside myself that have read Twilight -- they have even read the four books. Yes, Twilight has a very female perspective, but I've heard that the others do not.

After the seven Harry Potter books, Twilight is a nice change.

kenya18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 11:34 PM

i mean. jaja. you are both right on this one. they aren't vampires, no. but she's still not the first one to alter a myth to get an edge.

anyways, it's not the vampires that make the book bad, it's everything else. it's just too predictable, repetitive, emo, and just the same old stuff we are all used to reading from other places.
she just got lucky that it was released and people happened to love it, but there is nothing that special to it.

yet the movie is great, just because it differs from the book. it was definitely more exciting, and robert pattinson as edward was great. XD

abeato6
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2009, 11:38 PM

ok, so I read this and I have to come clean. At first with all the Twilight buzz I just laughed at all the girls drooling over Edward. But eventually I fell into it and read the saga, all four books, and I have to admit it was a great saga, for a new author like Stephenie Meyer this was a great piece of work.

Mabelusk actually has a point, there are no 'default' parameters for the features of vampires so the author is free to twist it all she wants, that's what writing FICTION is all about, speaking your thoughts huh?.

Anyway, if you don't like Twilight don't come here to give the OP a hard time people, for some things in life you actually need an open mind.

Twilight FTW!
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 11:41 PM

Sadly I'm going to agree with you. The author's approach to the mythical aspect of the story is not the best, but it doesn't mean this makes Twilight a mocking material for the next century.

BTW, there is an actual medical condition where people need red blood cells found in human blood (I'm hating myself for not remembering the name). So technically, vampires do exist.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by abeato6 View Post
ok, so I read this and I have to come clean. At first with all the Twilight buzz I just laughed at all the girls drooling over Edward. But eventually I fell into it and read the saga, all four books, and I have to admit it was a great saga, for a new author like Stephenie Meyer this was a great piece of work.

Mabelusk actually has a point, there are no 'default' parameters for the features of vampires so the author is free to twist it all she wants, that's what writing FICTION is all about, speaking your thoughts huh?.

Anyway, if you don't like Twilight don't come here to give the OP a hard time people, for some things in life you actually need an open mind.

Twilight FTW!
Beautifully said.

I was in your same position with all the girls, but in the end they conviced me on reading the book. I haven't finished the saga, but I'm on it.

I really don't understand why these books get so much oposition from guys. I bet that half of you have secretly read the book and are too afraid to come clean about it.

abeato6
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Beautifully said.

I was in your same position with all the girls, but in the end they conviced me on reading the book. I haven't finished the saga, but I'm on it.

I really don't understand why these books get so much oposition from guys. I bet that half of you have secretly read the book and are too afraid to come clean about it.
Agree. And I also think that the book is not a chick flick at all, it has action, drama, mystery and romance all together. I'd recommend it to anyone, regardless of age or sex.
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 11:57 PM

KRISTEN STEWART

So if you're immortal, how old are you anyway?

ROBERT PATTINSON

Over a hundred, but to be fair I've spent most of that time working on my hair.
Nice twist to the 1918 version. Haha.

Carla V.
Jan 3, 2009, 12:01 AM

If you hadn't heard of it its you who's a young sucking child... now headsup dude: IT ROCKS!!
And for those of you who were expecting blood and bites... I shall say I loved how they took vampires and showed ppl a new, more interesting side of them... it's called originality now senselessness!

kenya18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 12:03 AM

KRISTEN STEWART

ROBERT PATTINSON

that whole thing is incredibly funny. did you see the end. i mean. loved it. laughed so hard at it. jaja!

Carla V.
Jan 3, 2009, 12:07 AM

Definitely hilarious

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 12:08 AM

KRISTEN STEWART

ROBERT PATTINSON

That should be perfomed. It would be hilarious!

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 12:11 AM

That should be perfomed. It would be hilarious!
School play!

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 12:14 AM

A friend of mine from the States just refused to click on a link because it said Twilight on it. What is up with you people?!

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 12:15 AM

KRISTEN STEWART
Oh. Well, as long as you're here I guess we could have sex.
ROBERT PATTINSON
No, I can't have sex with you! I'd be unable to control myself! I'd bite you and turn you into a vampire! Also I ejaculate boiling venom, so I'd need to wear like fifty condoms.
This is the best I've read in a while. It's hilarious, especially if you've read Twilight. Thanks Atheist.

Carla V.
Jan 3, 2009, 12:43 AM

Rod Hilton ur a genius!
Don't get me wrong I did love the books and the movie but this... this is some art!

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 12:44 AM

This is the best I've read in a while. It's hilarious, especially if you've read Twilight. Thanks Atheist.
And then the lion was thanked by the lamb.

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2009, 12:49 AM

Thats just really a very stupid thing to say!!! you havent read or even heard of twilight and yet u say it sucks! ...moving on

I have to agree the books are not very well written (the content lacks of something I still can't figure what it is), but the way it was written makes it so interesting plus Edward is like every girl's fantasy boy so thats probably why so many girls read it lol

I loved the movie, it was funny and romantic they missed some very important parts, but they took the essence of the book, thats a good thing. I think the movie was very chopy, like they moved from one scene to the other very ....erm abruptly ? lol, like one minute they are in forks and PAM(sound effect ;D) they are in phoenix, but you wouldn't know they are in phoenix unless you've already read the book.

I hated the effects on Edward's skin, I mean they had a very low budget so yeah, and that stupid close up to his chest and then I dunno it was awkward (:

I loved the scene where they play eyes on fire <3 sorry had to say
stop anti-twilightism make love ;D

Carla V.
Jan 3, 2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by lyanma View Post
Thats just really a very stupid thing to say!!! you havent read or even heard of twilight and yet u say it sucks! ...moving on

Edward is like every girl's fantasy boy so thats probably why so many girls read it lol
I think the main cause boys don't like twilight is that it has the dream guy for girls who is as perfect as they'll NEVER be, and it lacks the super hot chick who's almost nude most commercial movies have

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Carla V. View Post
I think the main cause boys don't like twilight is that it has the dream guy for girls who is as perfect as they'll NEVER be, and it lacks the super hot chick who's almost nude most commercial movies have
Only for guys with self-confidence.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2009, 01:03 AM

Jeez did the MacNN thread link end up on a Twilight fan board or something?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2009, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Carla V. View Post
hahahaha I couldn't agree more, i was thinking the other day that Harry Potter is full of action, mystery...blah you name it but it doesn't have that much romance, still theres some romance in the book, so its very well accepted by both genders. But twilight is more of a girl book, full of that what- a-girl-always-want-romance, still it is so very well written that everyone reads it, maybe thats why boys dont embrace it that much.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2009, 01:08 AM

Ahhhhahahaha, and suddenly there's an influx of 13-year-old girls talking up Twilight.

Haters in this thread: totally vindicated.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Carla V.
Jan 3, 2009, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
If you don't like it there's something called sessions dude... you can go talk about cars or computers if that's what u'd prefer XD

Carla V.
Jan 3, 2009, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Ahhhhahahaha, and suddenly there's an influx of 13-year-old girls talking up Twilight.

greg
BTW... if anyone's near 13 here... it'd be you under cover

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2009, 01:11 AM

OK! Ididn't know there couldn't be mac lovers that actually adore twilight!,

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 01:11 AM

You can love Macs and Twilight at the same time. I believe it is not ilegal.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 01:13 AM

greg
When are you turning 14?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2009, 01:16 AM

Ohhhh snap! They got you good, greg.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 01:19 AM

greg
I suppose, Twilight is not of your liking?

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 01:27 AM

I suppose, Twilight is not of your liking?
Nor any other original fiction book... Banal. *sigh*

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2009, 01:34 AM

Ohhhh snap! They got you good, greg.
oh snappity snap, they got u good too spacemonkey, sorry i had to

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What's the point? Dawson's Creek with fangs.
that sums it up perfectly. ugh.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
that sums it up perfectly. ugh.
Have you read the book?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 3, 2009, 03:32 AM

This is a terrible thread. I'm speechless.

Mabelusk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
This is a terrible thread. I'm speechless.
Then go to another thread. As simple as it gets.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 3, 2009, 04:09 AM

Then go to another thread. As simple as it gets.
Or how about everyone that joined just to defend what appears to be some lame, substance-free, tween fluff series leave and go to another board?

Forum Links
Forum Rules