Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > President Donald J. Trump: Year Two - Eclectic Gigalo

President Donald J. Trump: Year Two - Eclectic Gigalo (Page 5)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2018, 09:39 AM

Fintan O'Toole wrote this yesterday in The Irish Times:

“To grasp what is going on in the world right now, we need to reflect on two things. One is that we are in a phase of trial runs. The other is that what is being trialled is fascism – a word that should be used carefully but not shirked when it is so clearly on the horizon. Forget “post-fascist” – what we are living with is pre-fascism.
It is easy to dismiss Donald Trump as an ignoramus, not least because he is. But he has an acute understanding of one thing: test marketing. He created himself in the gossip pages of the New York tabloids, where celebrity is manufactured by planting outrageous stories that you can later confirm or deny depending on how they go down. And he recreated himself in reality TV where the storylines can be adjusted according to the ratings. Put something out there, pull it back, adjust, go again.

Fascism doesn’t arise suddenly in an existing democracy. It is not easy to get people to give up their ideas of freedom and civility. You have to do trial runs that, if they are done well, serve two purposes. They get people used to something they may initially recoil from; and they allow you to refine and calibrate. This is what is happening now and we would be fools not to see it.
One of the basic tools of fascism is the rigging of elections – we’ve seen that trialled in the election of Trump, in the Brexit referendum and (less successfully) in the French presidential elections. Another is the generation of tribal identities, the division of society into mutually exclusive polarities.

Fascism does not need a majority – it typically comes to power with about forty percent support and then uses control and intimidation to consolidate that power. So it doesn’t matter if most people hate you, as long as your forty percent is fanatically committed. That’s been tested out too.

And fascism of course needs a propaganda machine so effective that it creates for its followers a universe of “alternative facts” impervious to unwanted realities. Again, the testing for this is very far advanced.
But when you’ve done all this, there is a crucial next step, usually the trickiest of all. You have to undermine moral boundaries, inure people to the acceptance of acts of extreme cruelty. Like hounds, people have to be blooded. They have to be given the taste for savagery.

Fascism does this by building up the sense of threat from a despised out-group. This allows the members of that group to be dehumanised. Once that has been achieved, you can gradually up the ante, working through the stages from breaking windows to extermination.

People have to be given the taste for savagery. Fascism does this by building up the sense of threat from a despised out-group.

It is this next step that is being test-marketed now. It is being done in Italy by the far-right leader and minister for the interior Matteo Salvini. How would it go down if we turn away boatloads of refugees? Let’s do a screening of the rough-cut of registering all the Roma and see what buttons the audience will press. And it has been trialled by Trump: let’s see how my fans feel about crying babies in cages. I wonder how it will go down with Rupert Murdoch.

To see, as most commentary has done, the deliberate traumatisation of migrant children as a “mistake” by Trump is culpable naivety. It is a trial run – and the trial has been a huge success. Trump’s claim last week that immigrants “infest” the US is a test-marketing of whether his fans are ready for the next step-up in language, which is of course “vermin”.

And the generation of images of toddlers being dragged from their parents is a test of whether those words can be turned into sounds and pictures. It was always an experiment – it ended (but only in part) because the results were in.

And the results are quite satisfactory. There is good news on two fronts. First, Rupert Murdoch is happy with it – his Fox News mouthpieces outdid themselves in barbaric crassness: making animal noises at the mention of a Down syndrome child, describing crying children as actors. They went the whole swinish hog: even the brown babies are liars. Those sobs of anguish are typical of the manipulative behaviour of the strangers coming to infest us – should we not fear a race whose very infants can be so devious?

Second, the hardcore fans loved it: Fifty-eight percent of Republicans are in favour of this brutality. Trump’s overall approval ratings are up to 42.5 per cent.
This is greatly encouraging for the pre-fascist agenda. The blooding process has begun within the democratic world. The muscles that the propaganda machines need for defending the indefensible are being toned up. Millions and millions of Europeans and Americans are learning to think the unthinkable.

So what if those black people drown in the sea? So what if those brown toddlers are scarred for life? They have already, in their minds, crossed the boundaries of morality. They are, like Macbeth, “yet but young in deed”. But the tests will be refined, the results analysed, the methods perfected, the messages sharpened. And then the deeds can follow."

Let us protect our freedom with all our democratic power, and continue to be brave with everything we must face.”

***JUST TO BE CLEAR, I DID NOT WRITE THIS PIECE. A WRITER NAMED FINTAN O'TOOLE WROTE IT IN THE IRISH TIMES (LINK BELOW). THANK YOU! ***
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2018, 11:45 AM

wow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2018, 12:48 PM

Is it me or does the phrasing make it sound like he considers the EU the largest foe of the three?

Thorzdad
Jul 15, 2018, 09:11 PM

The guy really can speak out of both sides of his mouth, can’t he?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 16, 2018, 12:02 PM

Trump just unequivocally sided with Putins denials over the determinations of our intelligence community on election interference.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 16, 2018, 12:25 PM

He's certainly acting guilty, isn't he?

andi*pandi
Jul 16, 2018, 12:46 PM

and putin smirks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2018, 12:33 AM

I think someone might be overcompensating for something that happened recently.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 01:38 AM

Mystery solved.

bk stopped posting here because he’s got a sweet new gig as FOREIGN AFFAIRS ADVISOR TO THE PRESIDENT.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 03:10 AM

What I like about this is Trump obviously didn’t write it. He doesn’t go for the bullshit pseudo-poetry, and anyone who’s ever read my posts knows I’m an expert when it comes to bullshit pseudo-poetry.

Yet, all the author needed to do was scream, and it suddenly fits his boss like a glove.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 11:22 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What I like about this is Trump obviously didn’t write it. He doesn’t go for the bullshit pseudo-poetry, and anyone who’s ever read my posts knows I’m an expert when it comes to bullshit pseudo-poetry.

Yet, all the author needed to do was scream, and it suddenly fits his boss like a glove.
I'm going to hope you're wrong because the idea Scavino has the authority to threaten war without checking with Trump seems crazier.

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2018, 12:19 PM

It's not inconceivable that he's a figurehead put in place so those around him can book policy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm going to hope you're wrong because the idea Scavino has the authority to threaten war without checking with Trump seems crazier.
Trump didn’t write it.

I presume he read it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2018, 07:00 PM

Are we certain that Melania isn't Trump's FSB handler? Putin was in charge when she met & married him.....
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2018, 07:07 PM

Trump didn’t write it.

I presume he read it.
I very much doubt Scavino is bothering Trump at 10 at night, let alone at all. Which is why I think it's authentic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 07:53 PM

I’ll rephrase.

TRUMP: Tell Rouhani he can go **** himself with a plunger. I’ll be at McDonald’s.
SCAVINO: SURE THING, TIGER!
TRUMP: What a country!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2018, 09:13 PM

That scenario makes more sense, but I think we're at completely different perspectives as to Scavino's role here.

I think Scavino has access to Trump's account to push policy and narrative.
I think Trump still has a phone to tweet on because he enjoys it and in many cases finds it cathartic.

If Scavino tweeted this for Trump, he loses the catharsis.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2018, 10:38 PM

I go back to my original claim. “T[he likes of which few throughout history have suffered before]” just ain’t how the guy writes.

Besides. Rouhani isn’t in the NFL.

Thorzdad
Jul 24, 2018, 04:07 PM

Looks like the Ag Dept. is going to spend $12 billion to prop-up farmers hurt by Trump’s trade war.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Looks like the Ag Dept. is going to spend $12 billion to prop-up farmers hurt by Trump’s trade war.
I mean, if you're going to start a trade war, the least you could do is not murder the industry while doing it.

But yes, this is more about votes than genuine concern about the impacts of the tariffs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2018, 08:46 PM

Is Trump removing security clearances for outspoken critics not political retaliation or even an attack on their exercising their speech?

Thorzdad
Jul 24, 2018, 09:09 PM

I believe the company line is that the offenders were “politicising” their clearances.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2018, 10:00 PM

I believe the company line is that the offenders were “politicising” their clearances.
How so? If they were leaking intel on air they'd be charging them. Having an opinion is not against the law.

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2018, 08:05 AM

I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just repeating what Sarah Sanders said. I'm pretty sure by "politicizing" they mean "basing your opinions on knowledge gleaned from hard intel and years of experience."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2018, 09:12 AM

I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just repeating what Sarah Sanders said. I'm pretty sure by "politicizing" they mean "basing your opinions on knowledge gleaned from hard intel and years of experience."
Oh, since I was asking a question I thought that was your answer to it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2018, 09:47 PM

Another banner day for Rudy Giuliani.

( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jul 30, 2018 at 09:58 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jul 30, 2018, 11:52 PM

I'm starting to wonder if Michael Cohen will get re-hired in a few more days.

Could Guiliani be secretly out to sink the Trump ship? Twice in a row now, he's making all the wrong headlines.

Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining. And I increasingly think the Trump campaign is guilty. But -- this is really weird. Your lawyer isn't supposed to smoke weed before interviews.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2018, 12:04 AM

Remember, Rudy is working for free. Trump is so cheap (or deluded, or both) that he's fine with these performances.

It's also likely Rudy talks a good game to Trump.

Also, everyone involved is incredibly old doesn't realize they're senile.

Thorzdad
Aug 10, 2018, 06:41 PM

So, the Hitler Youth rally in DC is this weekend. Anyone half-expect 45 to tweet something nice about it? Some “Good Americans exercising their freedom of speech” kind of thing?

OreoCookie
Aug 11, 2018, 10:14 PM

Remember, Rudy is working for free. Trump is so cheap (or deluded, or both) that he's fine with these performances.
That's one of the things I can't fathom: why is Guiliani doing this? What's in it for him?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2018, 10:21 PM

TV gig.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That's one of the things I can't fathom: why is Guiliani doing this? What's in it for him?
TV gig.
I think it's more that he's a media hound. He loves the attention and the relevance. Basically, he's another narcissist like Trump. Which is why, I think, he keeps making these media appearances which I wouldn't say have been improving Trump's position or even making it look consistent.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2018, 07:58 AM

Trump to Fox: "It's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal ... they go from 10 years to they're a national hero. They have a statue erected in their honor. It's not a fair thing."
Flipping... almost ought to be illegal.

More Trump on impeachment: “If I ever got impeached, I think the market would crash. I think everybody would be very poor. Because without this thinking [points to head] you would see, you would see numbers that you wouldn’t believe in reverse.”
Ah yes, the old dictator "I'm the only thing holding this country together" thinking.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2018, 08:11 PM

Trump Meets QAnon Kook Who Believes Democrats Run Pedophile Cult

All four White House officials the Beast did speak with about about how Trump, the leader of the free world, ended up in a smiling photo op at the Resolute Desk with a prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist, pleaded ignorance about when this occurred, and why. Two of these West Wing officials audibly could not contain their laughter.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 24, 2018, 10:31 PM

I'm thinking fake pic. Posed complete with an open box of cigars. With the logo facing the camera, the box is otherwise out of reach of all three participants. If it is faked, they did a good job on the reflections.

I was going to comment on the absence of the red Hot Line phone. Unfortunately, there is no such thing. The real Hot Line was a teleprinter, later fax machines, later email systems. And it ran to the Pentagon, not directly to the White House. Dang.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2018, 12:15 PM

Fake pic? Qanon says Trump is a hero. Of course he's going to invite them over to suck his dick in person.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2018, 07:52 PM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inspect...ters-decision/
https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status...84878610886657
Some folks say they're confused, here's a summary:

Congress asks if she spoke with POTUS

she says she spoke with FBI

in reality she spoke with FBI AND POTUS

IG says her response = literally true BUT misleadingly incomplete

GSA tells media IG found her statement was true

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2018, 12:10 PM

One of his lawyers must have managed to communicate to Trump that his Lester Hilt interview might get used against him, because after a year he is now claiming it was deceptively edited.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2018, 07:48 PM

Nothing to see here, just the President saying the Attorney General should have considered party and timing before the Justice Department indicted two congressmen.

Law & Order prez

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2018, 11:50 PM

Trump, still fixated on Elizabeth Warren, suggests throwing a DNA test kit at her during the debates.
Look who's got the last laugh.

Fakahontas is less Native American than the average white person in America.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Oct 16, 2018, 12:22 AM

What is the average for white persons in America?

The test results suggest she has between 1/32 and 1/1024 Native American blood (ancestor approximately 6-10 generations back).

Also, Trump offered $1 million to a charity of Elizabeth's choice if she took the test and had a NA ancestor.
Trump July 5, 2018: "I will give you a million dollars to your favourite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian."

Trump October 15, 2018: “Who cares?” he said. Asked about his offer to pay $1m to charity, he claimed: “I didn’t say that. You’d better read it again.”

Later on Monday, Trump said he will only pay the $1 million “if I can test her personally. Okay? That will not be something I enjoy doing, either.”
As Trump is not a recognized DNA analyst, I'm not sure what he means by testing her personally.

OreoCookie
Oct 16, 2018, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Also, Trump offered $1 million to a charity of Elizabeth's choice if she took the test and had a NA ancestor.

As Trump is not a recognized DNA analyst, I'm not sure what he means by testing her personally.
Trump is just winging his way out of this predicament, knowing full well that to his base it doesn't matter what he has said in the past. That's probably the most difficult aspect of having to deal with him: Trump is held to a completely different standard when it comes to telling even the simple truths.

I'm not sure if it was smart on Warren's part to acquiesce to Trump's stupid mind games here, although probably it was a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Trump even brought Obama to publishing his birth certificate, because the crazy idea that Obama wasn't a natural born citizen somehow took hold in significant parts of the GOP (including the present resident of the White House).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Oct 16, 2018, 08:21 AM

I would love to see a two-pronged response of both "Trump never pays his bills" and "Trump doesn't have a million dollars" and see which he screams about most.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Look who's got the last laugh.

Fakahontas is less Native American than the average white person in America.

-t
I still can't believe you're christian

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2018, 07:52 PM

Trump called the porn star he banged a 'horseface' on twitter.

andi*pandi
Oct 16, 2018, 08:50 PM

reminder he once compared her to ivanka.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2018, 09:54 PM

Oh and the Saudis are innocent until proven guilty. Because they denied it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2018, 05:07 AM

Oh and the Saudis are innocent until proven guilty. Because they denied it.
To be fair he did say their denial was "really really strong"
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Dec 24, 2018, 04:56 PM

In case anyone was wondering. Trump is in the White House, presiding over his holiday Shutdown.

• Stock markets are tanking.
• Trump is railing against his own Fed Reserve Chairman for raising interest rates.
• His Fed attacks are causing further market drops.
• He's also railing against those Democrats for causing the shutdown.
• Lots of federal workers home without pay. Plus some working without pay.

Near as I can tell, Dems will not give money for the Wall. Public polls support this position. Dems are willing to give more money for border security in general, but Trump is unwilling to compromise. Or wants a fight to please his supporters.

It's rather unclear. White House staffers have given different tips on what Trump would accept to end the shutdown. So it could continue into January, perhaps until the new House is sworn in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules