Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > President Donald J. Trump: Year Two - Eclectic Gigalo

President Donald J. Trump: Year Two - Eclectic Gigalo (Page 4)
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2018, 04:35 PM

The US Postal Service operates independently from the federal government to a point. It's operations are not supported by the tax payers. But the rates it charges are set by the US Congress. Our good friends on the right love to make a punching bag out of the US Postal Service and ridicule how it is constantly losing money. Conveniently leaving out the fact that the GOP controlled Congress refuses to allow the US Postal Service to charge what it actually needs to in order to sustain its operations financially. Because they fear the voters will blame them when the price of a stamp increases.

OAW

reader50
Administrator
May 18, 2018, 05:23 PM

My last several Amazon orders have shipped through UPS, though they'd mostly used the post office in the past. Maybe it's just coincidence.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Our good friends on the right love to make a punching bag out of the US Postal Service and ridicule how it is constantly losing money. Conveniently leaving out the fact that the GOP controlled Congress refuses to allow the US Postal Service to charge what it actually needs to in order to sustain its operations financially.
IIRC, that's not actually the problem. The problem is our regulation-hating friends on the right passed legislation mandating the post-office pre-fund its benefits for retirees. I'd like to see how they'd react if that was proposed for all of American business.

Thorzdad
May 18, 2018, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
My last several Amazon orders have shipped through UPS, though they'd mostly used the post office in the past. Maybe it's just coincidence.
I had a delivery arrive this week via USPS (2 cans of coffee) I’ve never been able to discern a pattern for why Amazon ships one thing via USPS and another via UPS. Size, maybe? Heck, I’ve tracked packages that started out UPS, and was broght to my home USPS.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It occurs to me that after his media firestorm the past two weeks Guliani is conspicuously absent.
I jumped the gun by 24 hours, apparently.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...cnn-interview/
As President Donald Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani has repeatedly argued that a sitting president does not have to comply with a subpoena, asserting that if one were to be issued in the special counsel’s Russia investigation, Trump has the authority to resist it.

“He’s the president of the United States,” the former mayor of New York City said earlier this month. “We can assert the same privileges other presidents have.”

But during a live interview with CNN’s Chris Cuomo Friday, Giuliani was forced to confront remarks he made in 1998 that appear to undercut that very assertion. “You’ve got to do it,” Giuliani told Charlie Rose when asked about a presidential subpoena in 1998. “I mean, you don’t have a choice. There is a procedure for handling that.”

“That’s extremely unfair what you’re doing right now,” Giuliani complained as the clip played on a split screen. “This is the reason people don’t come on this show.” He later called the network “disgusting.”
Playing a video displaying a person's hypocrisy is unfair, I guess.

For reference: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0859d11d03279
“You gotta do it,” he said. “I’m mean, you don’t have a choice.”

Rose then asked what would happen if the president refused.

Giuliani replied:

“Then there is a procedure for handling that. You go before a judge and a judge decides whether or not he has a recognizable exemption or privilege from testifying. And if a judge decides that he doesn’t, you have to testify. You don’t have a choice about it.”

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2018, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
IIRC, that's not actually the problem. The problem is our regulation-hating friends on the right passed legislation mandating the post-office pre-fund its benefits for retirees. I'd like to see how they'd react if that was proposed for all of American business.
Indeed you are correct. If this weren’t the case the postal service would be making a profit. And the crazy thing is no private sector does this.

OAW

andi*pandi
May 18, 2018, 08:50 PM

Trump is just trying to stick it to Bezos.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2018, 08:00 PM

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...56454590193665
I hereby demand, and will do so officially tomorrow, that the Department of Justice look into whether or not the FBI/DOJ infiltrated or surveilled the Trump Campaign for Political Purposes - and if any such demands or requests were made by people within the Obama Administration!
This is horseshit and the DOJ is already rolling over.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
So, it turns out that Trump suddenly became deeply concerned for Chinese jobs just after China committed $500 million to a theme park project in Indonesia which coincidentally includes a Trump-branded golf course and hotels.
https://twitter.com/sdonnan/status/998198378084347906
Mnuchin declares that the trade war is on hold for now... Trump administration suspending application of tariffs while China talks continue... Insists that structural changes in China are part of the deal...

So there’s another thing for markets to track this summer!
I'm glad to avoid a trade war, but calling it off after the above revelation looks damn suspicious.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2018, 11:02 AM

After all but hanging up on Trump when he went off-script last month Fox & Friends went pre-recorded with their Presidential interview this month.

Shucks, that's a good way to prevent him from making more gaffes

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 27, 2018, 04:34 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.e397a195e225
Giuliani said he was concerned that the president would become a target or that the interview would be a perjury trap, because the “truth is relative.” The president’s legal team continues to try to set limitations on an interview, including the duration and questions posed, he said.

“They may have a different version of the truth than we do,” Giuliani said.
Ah, moving on from being framed to being misunderstood. Usually I'd expect it to go in the opposite order.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...r-donald-trump
Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani said on Sunday that his repeated imputations of a supposed scandal at the heart of the Robert Mueller investigation – which Donald Trump calls “Spygate” – amounted to a tactic to sway public opinion and limit the risk of the president being impeached.

“Of course we have to do it to defend the president,” Trump’s lawyer told CNN State of the Union host Dana Bash, who accused him of being part of a campaign to undermine the Mueller investigation. Trump has repeatedly called the special counsel’s work a “witch hunt”, despite its producing five guilty pleas, including by three former Trump aides, and evidence of Russian tampering in US elections.

It is for public opinion,” Giuliani said of his public campaign of dissimulation. “Because eventually the decision here is going to be impeach or not impeach. Members of Congress, Democrats and Republicans, are going to be informed a lot by their constituents. And so our jury – and it should be – is the American people.
Please keep this guy on tv as much as possible.

Thorzdad
May 31, 2018, 01:44 PM

Trump just Tweeted he's going to pardon Dinesh D’Souza.
He's also considering commuting former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s prison sentence and pardoning Martha Stewart.

reader50
Administrator
May 31, 2018, 02:41 PM

Next up, a pardon for Charles Keating (posthumous). Per the two-tier justice system, real penalties should only apply to commoners. Important people get phony punishments, and/or pardons.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Trump just Tweeted he's going to pardon Dinesh D’Souza.
This was mostly to own libs.

andi*pandi
May 31, 2018, 03:57 PM

Does Martha really need a pardon? She's doing just fine.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Does Martha really need a pardon? She's doing just fine.
She's a rich person who was convicted on obstruction charges. You figure out his interest.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2018, 05:17 PM

Seems to me Trump is sending a very loud and clear message that A) he'll take care of anyone ensnared in the Mueller investigation that remains loyal to him. As well as B) throwing a bone to his base so they continue to support him politically as he continues to do A.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2018, 09:33 PM

No wonder he's deathly afraid of a 'perjury trap.' Jesus H. Christ.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2018, 07:09 PM

Thorzdad
Jun 8, 2018, 10:19 AM

As he departs for the G7 summit in Canada, Trump calls for Russia to be readmitted to the group. But, y'know, there's no collusion.

Nations with larger economies than Russia include China, India, and Brazil, none of which are members of the group.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2018, 06:24 PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-system-635164
Armed with rolls of clear Scotch tape, Lartey and his colleagues would sift through large piles of shredded paper and put them back together, he said, “like a jigsaw puzzle.” Sometimes the papers would just be split down the middle, but other times they would be torn into pieces so small they looked like confetti.

It was a painstaking process that was the result of a clash between legal requirements to preserve White House records and President Donald Trump’s odd and enduring habit of ripping up papers when he’s done with them — what some people described as his unofficial “filing system.”

Under the Presidential Records Act, the White House must preserve all memos, letters, emails and papers that the president touches, sending them to the National Archives for safekeeping as historical records.

But White House aides realized early on that they were unable to stop Trump from ripping up paper after he was done with it and throwing it in the trash or on the floor, according to people familiar with the practice. Instead, they chose to clean it up for him, in order to make sure that the president wasn’t violating the law.

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2018, 08:49 PM

Why not, say, print two copies of the memo and preserve one of them?

sorry, reasonable thoughts just pop into my head.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2018, 10:09 PM

I imagine the law probably requires preservation of the original. And there's no way you're not giving the president the original.

Thorzdad
Jun 15, 2018, 09:12 AM

Trump on Fox & Friends today speaking about Kim...
"Hey, he's the head of a country, and he's the strong head -- he speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same."

There are more clips regarding other subjects on that Twitter link, so I thought it more appropriate to post here, instead of the NK thread.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2018, 09:20 AM

His admiration for dictatorial societies is such a red flag and that the GOP and prominent conservatives won't say anything is galling on a daily basis.

Particularly if you remember the Emperor Obama snark.

Thorzdad
Jun 15, 2018, 04:10 PM

Thorzdad
Jun 20, 2018, 05:09 PM

andi*pandi
Jun 20, 2018, 05:34 PM

Did he sign that refugee children EO right before, or after?!?! Great smokescreen either way.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2018, 07:12 PM

Do we really need to drill the Great Lakes? Really?

Thorzdad
Jun 21, 2018, 09:07 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 24, 2018, 02:02 PM

Because he's a normal person with good brain, Trump signed the pictures of the 'victims' of illegal immigration.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2018, 04:25 PM

I really wish someone would shoot him in the crotch with a flaming napalm arrow.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2018, 10:17 PM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/comedia...-bob-menendez/
At one point in the alleged conversation, the president congratulates Sen. Menendez on his recent acquittal on corruption charges, saying, "You went through a tough, tough situation and I don't think a very fair situation but congratulations."

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2018, 05:21 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Jul 5, 2018, 05:34 PM

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2018, 05:59 PM

Of course.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2018, 10:04 PM

Thorzdad
Jul 6, 2018, 07:23 AM

Begun, the trade wars have.

Thorzdad
Jul 6, 2018, 05:05 PM

Trump, still fixated on Elizabeth Warren, suggests throwing a DNA test kit at her during the debates.

”I'm gonna get one of those little kits, and in the middle of the debate, when she proclaims that she's from Indian heritage, because her mother says she has high cheekbones...that's her only evidence, that her mother said she had high cheekbones. We will take that little kit and say — but we have to do it gently, because we're in the #MeToo generation, so we have to be very gentle, and we will very gently take that kit, and we will slowly toss it, hoping it doesn't hit her and injure her arm, even though it only weighs probably two ounces."

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2018, 05:14 PM

👹...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2018, 06:48 PM

Don't forget the dig at #metoo. I'm sure he says lovely things about that movement in private.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2018, 06:53 PM

I didn’t hear his delivery, but as text, he’s got far more venom towards #metoo than he does towards Warren.

As an aside, she should have picked Betsy instead of Liz.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I didn’t hear his delivery, but as text, he’s got far more venom towards #metoo than he does towards Warren.
Yes. His attacks on Warren are old hat, but I can't remember him mentioning me too before.

andi*pandi
Jul 6, 2018, 07:33 PM

he knows its something his MRA followers hate.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2018, 07:43 PM

Disagree. It's a sincere opinion based on his rich male privilege. How dare they let him move on them like a bitch and grab them by the pussy and later complain they didn't like it!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2018, 09:02 PM

Giuliani has been absent from tv again.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/06/u...interview.html
The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, needs to prove before Mr. Trump would agree to an interview that he has evidence that Mr. Trump committed a crime and that his testimony is essential to completing the investigation, said Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s lead lawyer in the case.
This is a ****ing hilarious as it is sad.

Thorzdad
Jul 10, 2018, 05:52 PM

So, Trump has pardoned arsonists Dwight and Steven Hammond. They set fire to federal land to cover up their poaching activities.

FWIW, the Hammond prosecution was one of the events that inspired the Bundys to occupy the Malheur refuge in 2016.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Jul 10, 2018 at 06:03 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2018, 06:02 PM

It's a nice nod to those nationalist militias

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2018, 01:08 PM

The master of projection is at it today (vaguebooking NATO comments because phone)

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2018, 03:05 PM

I know this one. Germany is under Russian sway, because of a pipeline. Merkel was not amused.

Forum Links
Forum Rules