Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MB, MBP or MacPro ?

MB, MBP or MacPro ?
urzsite
Aug 31, 2006, 03:48 PM

Hi all !

I have searched through most of the forum, and now I feel like im left with a couple of questions unanswered.

Im going to buy a new Mac soon, and I have to decide either between MacBook, MacBook Pro or Mac Pro.

Im gonna use it to an external 23" ACD, when working with the Adobe Package (mostly PS and Illustrator), some smaller webdesign with the Macromedia Package. Also I would like to have some fun editing video content in Motion/After effects, FCP/iMovie etc.

Im not gonna use the computer for any proffessional use, just for my own hobby.

I have been thinking 3 thoughts:

1) Standard Mac Pro with X1900XT for future safety (upgradeabilty)

2) MacBook 2GHz, 2GB RAM and some large Harddisk + External HD etc.

3) MacBook Pro with whatever they are bringing with the Meron processor. (means waiting a bit longer, but thats ok). The price is quite high on MBP´s, so im almost jumping to Mac Pro´s when I look at MBP´s prices.

What do you think ? Macbook sufficient, Macbook pro overkill or just right ? or do I need to move to desktop with Mac Pro for all those adds to be "fun" to play with even for an extreme hobbiest like me ;-)

I hope to get some advice on what you think.

- Martin
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 04:00 PM

I'd at least rule out the Macbook. Whether you decide on the MBP or Mac Pro though depends on your need for portabililty and /or your desire for upgrades.

mikochu
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 04:41 PM

I have an iBook, DC 2.3ghz G5, and recently purchased 15" MacBook Pro. I bought the MBP to replace my iBook (which I just sold/shipped out). The MacBook Pro could easily replace my G5 setup, but I don't have any plans to get rid of my G5 anytime soon. Also, I have 2x20" widescreen LCDs on my G5 work great for working in Final Cut Pro.

I'm not completely happy with my MBP purchase, because of the lack of universal support from Adobe, but I'm content... Photoshop is decent, but slow. I haven't fired up Illustrator, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

As Zeeb said, I'd rule out the MacBook. The MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are beasts, but one is easier to travel with than other. You really can't lose with either MBP or MP.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 04:45 PM

The MB won't do to well with FCP. The MBP should do all of what you are asking very well. The Mac Pro may not see huge gains over the MBP unless you are doing heavy multitasking. The Mac Pro is quite a bit more futureproof, however, as the CPU and graphics can be upgraded by the user. It also has greater expandibility in the HDD department (4 drives). It also has an empty optical drive slot, so if you want to start making HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray discs at a later dates, you won't have to use an external.

In short, don't get a MB. If you value portability over expandibility/upgradibility then get the MBP. If you want the expandibility, go for the Mac Pro.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
...don't get a MB. If you value portability over expandibility/upgradibility then get the MBP. If you want the expandibility, go for the Mac Pro.
I agree. And for sure first wait to see what comes out of the Merom announcements in September.

-Allen Wicks

urzsite  (op)
Sep 1, 2006, 01:53 AM

Thanks a lot for the great reply´s!

I can see that it is a must these days to somehow future proof yourself, which will save me in the long end moneywise.

It also seems that I don´t really need the muster of a MacPro, and im not very much into iMac, so im left with the MBP. Do I "need" portability ? No. Would I like the freedom ? Very much so!

I will wait for a Meron MBP to be announced, and if it´s all that, then im on the portable wagon. If not, it seems you left me with 1 wise choice, the Mac Pro.

Also another extremely important factor for me is that the system is "wisper" silent. I know everything can blow up heat when used with FCP / Motion etc, but I am scared of windtunnels and airplanes, therefore if you have any clues on how much noise the MBP does under stress I would love to hear about it.

Again, thanks for your reply´s! They helped me a great deal :-)

(PS: forget my sig ^^^, its nearly 2 years old)

Forum Links
Forum Rules