Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > anyone using icommune?

anyone using icommune?
a-poria
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 03:42 PM

i gave it a try but it did not work. probably missing something in the configuration, though i did follow the instructions for set up to the letter. if someone has managed to get icommune to work, could you please share how you did it!

thanks!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 05:06 PM

I can see my music in a browser, but the program itself crashes when I try to add my own url to it...

ideas!?

I would love to trade url's too - pm me.

Calli46
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 06:32 PM

I manage to get iCommune working and play the tunes from icommune website with my iTunes.

All one has to do is :
1) start iCommune <- this one is easy, really

2) in the Shared Music Folder box, enter your music folder path. I had to change the default folder; my folder path is something like /Users/.../Music/iTunes/[MP3]

3) Click the Fix Permissions button (not sure if this one is necessary)

4) click the Start Sharing button

5) click the + button of iCommune window

6) enter a fellow iCommune user's URL in the Location box of Collection Settings window. I tried the URL in the example.

7) Check in iTunes and you should see a new playlist by the name you gave to the collection in the name box of the Collection Settings window.

8) Relax and Enjoy!!!
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 07:54 PM

I could not get it working at all - not even the example URL

suthercd
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 11:49 AM

After reading this thread, I was prepared for problems. Installed on a PB TI 500, 10.2.5. It worked as advertised. The example worked, and iCommune re-connected to that site when I re-started the app. Also iTunes retains the Playlist and data for setting up the link for that site when iCommune is closed.

I clicked on Sahred Settings in the iCommune widow and then click on the Start button to enable music sharing. The path to my iTunes music was already identified and entered.

Now it's just getting the address of friends with collections- and so many have set up subnets with either OS X, IPNetRouter or hardware that I need to figure out what ports need to be opened up and mapped.

Craig

malemutekid
Apr 16, 2003, 12:47 PM

iCommune is working for me.
( Last edited by malemutekid; Apr 17, 2003 at 01:40 AM. )
Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules