Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > panther clean install

panther clean install
rishio
Oct 21, 2003, 02:07 PM

To do a clean install - do you just have to pop in the CD and select an option for clean install? Or Are you supposed to format the hard disk before you install the program? If so - how would you go about formatting the hard disk?

In addition, before you format your hard disk, do you have to deauthorize your itunes music and then authorize it again after the clean panther install? Or can I just copy all the music files on my computer to a couple of cds.. and then copy them back onto my clean panther?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by rishio:
To do a clean install - do you just have to pop in the CD and select an option for clean install? Or Are you supposed to format the hard disk before you install the program? If so - how would you go about formatting the hard disk?

In addition, before you format your hard disk, do you have to deauthorize your itunes music and then authorize it again after the clean panther install? Or can I just copy all the music files on my computer to a couple of cds.. and then copy them back onto my clean panther?
Definitely de-authorize the computer first.

One of the install options is "erase and install" -- you can do that, and then pick "OS X Extended (Journaled)" as the FS type. It will format, verify (for about 15 minutes...) and then install.

Note the default is NOT a clean install... it's an upgrade install.

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Note the default is NOT a clean install... it's an upgrade install.
That's the one I'll be doing. Just like with 10.2 before.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 07:50 AM

So my question becomes...what's better? Doing a clean install or an upgrade install. Are there any real MAJOR benefits from doing a clean install, or would i be fine with just upgrading like i've been doing with all of my other OS X updates? Thanks for the input!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 07:58 AM

Yeah... I'm just as curious. I have not done a "Clean Install" on this machine since 10.1 and it was a MAJOR Pain getting all my apps reinstalled and setting all my prefs, and getting my mailboxes back... and it took almost a WEEK to get everything back to the way it "was" before the reformat.

I really can't take the time to reinstall all my applications again... I've just got way-too-many of them. What does the "Archive & Install" do...? Will it re-use my "User" folder...? I am looking for the mid-way-balance between a clean install and just updating.

If I had to choose one right now, I'd just update.

---

Heck, I just looked at my DragThing tabs and I EASILLY have at least 3-dozen legitimate, large-install apps... a few of them would require me to install prior versions and run upgrades on them to get up-to-date. Thats at LEAST a couple-days worth of work.

Ugh...!!!

Any suggestions...? (keep it clean)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
Yeah... I'm just as curious. I have not done a "Clean Install" on this machine since 10.1 and it was a MAJOR Pain getting all my apps reinstalled and setting all my prefs, and getting my mailboxes back... and it took almost a WEEK to get everything back to the way it "was" before the reformat.

I really can't take the time to reinstall all my applications again... I've just got way-too-many of them. What does the "Archive & Install" do...? Will it re-use my "User" folder...? I am looking for the mid-way-balance between a clean install and just updating.

If I had to choose one right now, I'd just update.

---

Heck, I just looked at my DragThing tabs and I EASILLY have at least 3-dozen legitimate, large-install apps... a few of them would require me to install prior versions and run upgrades on them to get up-to-date. Thats at LEAST a couple-days worth of work.

Ugh...!!!

Any suggestions...? (keep it clean)
Do the Archive/Install option....that way you'll get a clean, new System Folder; however, it won't touch your User Folder and Network settings nor anything else (like Applications) for example....and best of all, it just placed your "old" System Folder into a "Previous System Folder" folder in case you wanted to access and move stuff over....

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 09:17 AM

Okay... one-more stupid question then;

Will it be "obvious" how to do this type of install...? I remember the previous updates just doing their thing with minimal questions asked of me. My guess is that I will tell it to do some type of "Custom" install and that option will be there...?

Sorry for such novice questions.

Thnx...

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 09:41 AM

I have more specific question regarding this, namely:

I have a HD which has several partitions, one intended to be the Panther partition. The HD is formatted as HFS+ and there is data on the other partitions.

If I do a "clean install" of Mac OS X 10.3 on the Panther partition, will I keep the data on the other partitions, or will it erase them all?

I suspect it will only wipe the partition it will install on, but I want to be certain.

Does anyone know?

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Do the Archive/Install option....that way you'll get a clean, new System Folder; however, it won't touch your User Folder and Network settings nor anything else (like Applications) for example....and best of all, it just placed your "old" System Folder into a "Previous System Folder" folder in case you wanted to access and move stuff over....
I thought that with Archive and Install only the Apps within one's Home folder will be imported into the new OS?? Please answer if u can.

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:13 PM

I did an "Archive and Install" with 10.2, so I've got the Previous System Folder on my hard drive. Should I delete this before I do an "Archive and Install" with 10.3, and if not what happens? Will it automatically delete the 10.1 stuff and fill the folder up with 10.2 stuff, or will I end up with two Previous System folders?

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by laurenr:
I thought that with Archive and Install only the Apps within one's Home folder will be imported into the new OS?? Please answer if u can.
No applications are removed. Only the Apple applications are updated.

The archiving simply moves the /System and /Library folders into a "/Previous Systems" directory, and then copies essential network preferences to the new /Library directory later.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:35 PM

Why should one set it to be "Journaledl"?

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
Why should one set it to be "Journaledl"?
A follow-up question to this one: If you do want to used Journaled HFS+, but aren't planning to erase the target drive, can it be enabled later? Or only while doing a completely clean install on a reformatted drive.

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by beverson:
A follow-up question to this one: If you do want to used Journaled HFS+, but aren't planning to erase the target drive, can it be enabled later? Or only while doing a completely clean install on a reformatted drive.
You can set it later. You can set it even if you do an upgrade install. In fact, I did an upgrade of one of my machines, and found that it had been set on by default afterwards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules