Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Civilization 3

Civilization 3
djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 09:10 PM

I know this is probably a no brainer, but does anyone know if the Play the World is coming to OS X anytime soon?

Sosa
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 04:58 PM

Nope, and it doesn't look like it will. My only hope is that multiplayer is included in upcoming Civ4 so that it gets ported to the Mac. I will not buy another strategy game that does not include multiplayer.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 05:26 PM

Ahh so they will have a Civilization 4? Just as long as I can play someone else who has a PC...

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2004, 07:40 PM

I cannot, for the life of me, beat this game, even on the easiest setting. I can't figure it out. You guys have any hints for a strategy newbie?

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 08:44 PM

Civ 4 is in the *very* early stages of development - probably another two-three years at least.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 10:17 PM

Hey xylon,

It is a difficult game, and takes some getting used to.

Check out the following link for a whole range of strategies for new player that should make your like easier.

I have a mate who is a civ 2 master and he struggles in xiv3.

I havent been able to win cov 3 yet, but ive finished second on the prince difficulty level once so Im getting there.

Check out:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/31518.html

Good luck and ask me any questions here or by pm if you wish!
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

P
Feb 9, 2004, 11:07 AM

PTW is included in the next expansion, Conquests, though, and there is a chance that Conquests will come to Mac eventually. In any case, PTW was hardly worth the cash.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Chimpmaster:
Check out:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/31518.html

Good luck and ask me any questions here or by pm if you wish!

Awesome man!! Thanks a ton. I really shouldn't be playing though...way too much work.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2004, 11:57 PM

I almost always trounce the computer at the Regent level, but if I move to the next level (Monarch) I usually get my ass handed to me early in the game. There needs to be a level in between.

Sosa
Senior User
Feb 12, 2004, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I almost always trounce the computer at the Regent level, but if I move to the next level (Monarch) I usually get my ass handed to me early in the game. There needs to be a level in between.
Yeah there is a significant difference between Regent and Monarch. After countless Monarch games, I'm finally about to beat one by domination. But honestly though I feel like I may have gotten lucky, so I'm going to play another game at Monarch and see what happens.

BTW the best advice to get better? Read the manual.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

P
Feb 12, 2004, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I was like that for a long time, but now I win all the time at Monarch and now and then on Emperor. The one spot where there really is a gap is between Emperor and Deity, but I don't think that the game works very well that high anyway. On Regent you're even with the computer in stats - on Monarch he has 10% on you in almost everything. You will be behind on tech, at least early on, and he has +10% in production as well. In total, he will beat you to most early wonders.

In my case, the difference was that I had to be more agressive early on and not just wait for the Tank for one big WWII-style war. Swordsmen are actually very powerful attackers in this game, and you can get very far on a combination of Longbowmen and Pikemen (move a bunch of Longbowmen as a group protected by one or two Pikemen). Use these combinations as well as any early unique units to grab the one of your competitors that has the best wonders. Particularly keep an eye out for whoever has Pyramids, they're a nice bonus.

You will also learn that there are almost no useless units in this game. Musketmen are a bit expensive for their punch, and Helicopters/Marines/Paratroopers are all fairly pointless units compared to Bombers and Tanks, but generally you should keep a mixed force. Send some defenders along your invasion force - they're cheap and they spare those expensive attackers. Artillery units make the difference before you get to tanks, and are very useful after that as well. Having offensive uunits standing around deters attacks - defensive units don't, even if they have a decent attack value. This is why the AIs suggestion to always build Infantry instead of Caovalry suck, because while the Infantry can win wars, Cavalry can avoid them.

Also try negotiating around with the other Civs. If you get to a tech first, you can sell it to everyone and get something like 4 other techs in return. Beware that some techs are valued very high by the AI. Particularly techs that give a new goverment type and a powerful wonder are expensive. And never, ever break a treaty where you give golds-per-turn or a resource for a tech or a sum of gold. They will never deal with you again after that.

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 11:29 PM

Nice strategy! I like playing on the easy level where you dominate and have +50% over everyone else! No seriously, I like playing at the same level as the computer. I am playing Conquer the World on a pc, well was before the hd crashed It is fun but can get REALLY hard. I dont even think the higher levels are even possible to beat!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules