Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPods everywhere

iPods everywhere
MacsGalor
Senior User
Feb 14, 2004, 07:45 PM

So I had was on a flight today and got to my seat and sat down, a little while later someone sat next to me and I saw the white earphones so I watched sure enough she had an iPod too. Then when we took off and they told us we could use portable electronics I took mine out, then she took hers out and the guy to her left took his out. So there we were 3 iPods in a line. I thought it was kind of cool. Anyway hows your day

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 08:08 PM

Here in La I see almost nobody with one. But walking around London it's shocking to see how many people have iPods. I'm talking everywhere.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 08:53 PM

Seen quite a few iPods out here in Vancouver, BC too

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Here in La I see almost nobody with one. But walking around London it's shocking to see how many people have iPods. I'm talking everywhere.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2004, 09:17 PM

I counted only 5 in New York, but I'm sure I'll see a million more this summer.

cal4ever
Feb 14, 2004, 09:22 PM

I see them everywhere on campus (UC Berkeley). I don't know, maybe they are more common on university campuses? There are around 30k students here, and it seems that I run to at least 10 to 15 people with white earphones a day. This isn't counting those folks, like myself, who use non-white earphones.

Maybe students just don't like talking to each other anymore. Who knows?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2004, 11:45 PM

kinda cool!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

RGB
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 11:52 PM

They're EVERYWHERE here at the University of Kansas (KU). I'm a recent addition to the bunch, I got sick of seeing them around me and not having one, though I had wanted one for such a long time.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by cal4ever:
I see them everywhere on campus (UC Berkeley). I don't know, maybe they are more common on university campuses? There are around 30k students here, and it seems that I run to at least 10 to 15 people with white earphones a day. This isn't counting those folks, like myself, who use non-white earphones.

Maybe students just don't like talking to each other anymore. Who knows?
William Hung got one too?

In my college (Central Washington University), I saw a couple students with an iPod. Last time, I was listening to my iPod with the white earbud. One dude was looking at me, he was using an iMac in the cafe. I can tell the white earbud is the symbol of the iPod. My RA wants one too.

Too bad.. the weather here is cold (in the high 20s) and the cable of the headphone turns "hard". Does the new in-ear heaphone or those in the iPod 3G headphone made with the same material as mine? 10GB iPod touchwheel here.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Only 5? I see 43523462345 every day here. It's crazy.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 05:29 PM

That's the funny thing. People with white earbuds staring at each other. Maybe we should create a secret handshake in the shape of an Apple.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2004, 06:25 PM

People don't handshake when they have iPods then simply plug each others earbuds into their iPods and listen for 30 seconds. Its called iPod jacking or pod jacking i think, its one of those ipod only crazy's.

In Blackpool at our art college in the UK, i always see them in the Library with students all the time. Even the college prospectus has an ipodprinted on the inside cover with it streched out so that bullet points describing how good the college is can fit inside the ipod's streched screen.

Actualy they have a clamshell iBook and iMac in there as well but with the logo's removed.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

acm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 06:39 PM

I was recently in London and Paris and saw them everywhere walking down the streets. I felt like I was part of some secret club.

Also makes for great conversation starters if you're looking to meet new people. "Oh, you have one, too..."

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2004, 06:50 PM

i have not seen too many people here (clearwater, florida). someone once stopped me and asked me i had an ipod due to the earbuds, but that won't happen anymore since i do not use the ipod earbuds anymore.

i saw one person at my college with the earbuds and the remote, last week.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2004, 07:00 PM

there's more iPods in NY than there are cases of crabs in Texas

and in NY they are vain ennough to carry it out to bling poor mofos too.

(i keep mine in my pocket )

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 07:49 PM

i just want to see one in my hand
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 08:03 PM

What is this "iPod" you speak of?
I, ASIMO.

Veronica
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2004, 08:22 PM

Acctually, I had a dream last week, and in that dream I was at the train station and everybody there had iPods. And I felt kinda sad because I apparently didn't want EVERYBODY to have one. And childishly enough, I felt the same way when I woke up

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
What is this "iPod" you speak of?
Open the iPod bay doors, HAL.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 08:50 PM

I definitely think you'll see a higher concentration of iPods on university campuses. Here at CMU, it's insane. White earbuds everywhere. At least two people have one in every single class I'm enrolled in (myself not included).

Of course, my school is known as one of the more antisocial ones, so it explains why a lot of people here pop in their earbuds and stare at the ground as they walk to class. I don't like to be deprived of my sense of hearing when I'm walking about, but when it's study time in the library, my iPod is the only refuge I have from the constant ringing of cellphones. Those punks.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

acm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 08:55 PM

Too bad.. the weather here is cold (in the high 20s) and the cable of the headphone turns "hard". Does the new in-ear heaphone or those in the iPod 3G headphone made with the same material as mine? 10GB iPod touchwheel here.
I have no idea about the material used, but I went boarding this past Thursday and brought my iPod with me for the first time. I believe it got up to 9� that day and I had no problem using my 3G.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 08:56 PM

Every day in Toronto on my way to and from work I will see at LEAST 3-5 people with an iPod.

"If it's broke, you choke."

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 12:20 AM

Many iPods in UW-madison campus too!
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 12:35 AM

::woops::
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
YEAH! Go Madison ;p I am from very close to there. In Chicago now for school.. I still am a huge Badger fan(and Packer). Watch Badger basketball all the time though!

EVERYONE here(Chicago) almost has an iPod. Really not that big of a deal to see them. Pretty much everyone with headphones on have iPods.

Used to be a big deal for me to see Apple stuff... things have changed my friends
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
Yeah, like mine!

Are you a member of the WiscMUG? If not, you should join.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Seen quite a few iPods out here in Vancouver, BC too
Have you really? See, I haven't at all, at least in Richmond and Burnaby. Are you talking Kits or downtown?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 05:19 PM

I don't like music that much, so I don't need an iPod.

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2004, 05:43 PM

I see quite a few at the gym on a regular basis. Also see the guy that refuses to replace his big CD player.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
There's at least 5 in any given 10ft. radius on the street.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by acm:
I was recently in London and Paris and saw them everywhere walking down the streets. I felt like I was part of some secret club.

Also makes for great conversation starters if you're looking to meet new people. "Oh, you have one, too..."
Cool image: iPods walking down the streets of Paris. Tourist iPods maybe?

Anyway, I do see them more and more people with them in the m�tro, and that silent moment of recognition is always there. I really can't think of an equivalent for another product - except of course the 17" PowerBook.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 03:25 PM

An interesting article at the NY Times (free registration required)

The World at Ears' Length

Some snippets (slightly edited):

"Idea for a sci-fi horror flick: New York is invaded by zombielike robots. They ghost along the sidewalks, oblivious of pedestrians, and have frequent near misses with taxis and cyclists, causing chaos. They carry a secret weapon � no bigger than a deck of cards � that can render humans invisible. The only sign they are not quite human themselves: two white wires that run from their ears into their clothes, just below the neckline, as distinctive as the bolts in the Frankenstein monster's neck."

"But not a few New Yorkers also notice that, corked off from reality by their ear buds, iPod users are gumming up the works of the city. They stand in line at Starbucks and at banks, unaware that the person at the counter is yelling "Next!" No matter how loudly you shuffle your feet on the sidewalk behind them � making the scrunchy sole-on-cement sound that New Yorkers instinctively understand as "Move!" � they won't step aside."

"[Michael Bull, a lecturer in media and culture at the University of Sussex in England and the world's leading � perhaps only � expert on the social impact of personal stereo devices] has studied both the Walkman and the iPod, and says the iPod is changing urban life."

"Asking actual iPod users about this subject is no easy matter, since it means invading the cocoon they have spent $300 or more to construct. To get their attention on Wednesday at rush hour in Midtown, I made a sign saying, "I'm an NY Times reporter � CAN I INTERVIEW YOU ABOUT YOUR iPOD?" which I held in front of anyone wearing those telltale white wires to see if I could make mental radio contact."

And so on. An entertaining read. Although referring to people who use any high-capacity mp3 player, the article centers on the iPod.

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 03:39 PM

Hey I may have been one of those guys in Paris with the white earbuds. That said, even though I live here, I bought mine back in NYC last year and I've only seen/noticed another one ONCE. That guy was VERY well dressed, so he was either a visiting foreigner/businessman/tourist or a rather well to do Parisian. iPods still seem a bit trop cher for the locals, I've noticed. But that's just because people here don't seem to spend like the Americans (or the Japanese for that matter). Go figure.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 08:01 AM

I take the RER A out to La D�fense everyday, and I usually spot one or two iPod users on that train. But I've never noticed any particular "type" of user. Men, women, young, not-so-young. Honestly, I don't like to take mine out while on public transport as I'm afaid of pod-snatchers (as opposed to body-snatching pods, of course)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Dubya's Dealer:
iPods still seem a bit trop cher for the locals, I've noticed. But that's just because people here don't seem to spend like the Americans (or the Japanese for that matter). Go figure.
But the European price IS insane.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 09:12 AM

I hardly see any in the UK... a few in London, but apart form that, next to nothing.

I think it does have to do with the stupid price on them over here...

willed
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I hardly see any in the UK... a few in London, but apart form that, next to nothing.

I think it does have to do with the stupid price on them over here...
Err, I see them everywhere here in Oxford. I guess you notice it more when you have one yourself. It's kind of annoying, as it was nice to be a member of a very exclusive set for a while, but now everyone has one! I think the UK has the highest number of iPods per person anywhere in the world - certainly the unit sales were second only to America (which has 3-4 times the population), so I don't think the 'stupid price' has been putting that many people off.

kenazo
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 09:52 AM

Placid Casual - Look around some more! I'm in Sheffield which is not the trendiest place around and see at least 2 each day just on the tram.

Forum Links
Forum Rules