Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mac address

mac address
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2004, 10:54 PM

If I know some ones mac address what program do you need to get there ip address.
Also what other programs are there to get some ones ip. I know with xp when I connect with some one such as aim I do netstat I understand it easy but with terminal its very confusing. xp I connect several times I see which ip it is. I do it in terminal don't get it. its for a book i might be helping a guy out with.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2004, 11:22 PM

In most cases i don't believe there is a program to get their IP address, but you can send packets to the specific Mac address using certain programs, but i don't believe it will divulge their IP Address. Perhaps if you had a packet sniffer of some sort you could capture both the IP and the Mac to which the packet is destined for.

The netstat command for XP and the netstat command for OS X are almost identical, where do you think Microsoft got their base netstat program to begin with? I think there are some minor differences, but they are just that, minor.

Many a malicious thing could be done if one could get a Mac Address. I think Dslreports has a couple of tools you can use by entering in a MAC address. Not sure though. I question the motives of anyone who asks for mac addresses or ways to sniff out IP addresses for that matter, but thats just me.

- Telusman

If I know some ones mac address what program do you need to get there ip address.
Also what other programs are there to get some ones ip. I know with xp when I connect with some one such as aim I do netstat I understand it easy but with terminal its very confusing. xp I connect several times I see which ip it is. I do it in terminal don't get it. its for a book i might be helping a guy out with.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 11:54 PM

ignore that first guy.

I suggest you both read about the TCP/IP stack

And read about ARP
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2004, 01:56 AM

I just want the job lol. The only way I will get it is if I can hack a mac for the book purposes to educate the public on security. Im just mad becuase mac's are harder to crack than windows lol. I mean the book im sure u have herd of. Steal this computer book is the name theres 3 out there and now I have to do the apple edition. Well help and gather sources. I figured the best way to take controll of someones mac is go to there house pop in the cd change there pw out file volt on and work from there. But if that is the case I have no book lol.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 09:45 AM

Download and compile NMAP and Ethereal (install Apple's X windows)
Ethereal will not only give you the MAC of the destination machine, it will tell you who manufactured the NIC!

VPNs and Firewalls complicate the matter, however.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2004, 03:32 PM

k downloaded the first one. I will play around with it.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 04:27 PM

Also, OS X comes with tcpdump. That works great in conjunction with ethereal. Those two are what you really want.
nmap is another thing in my toolbox of network related stuff but doesn't really help the original question.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
Also, OS X comes with tcpdump. That works great in conjunction with ethereal. Those two are what you really want.
nmap is another thing in my toolbox of network related stuff but doesn't really help the original question.
what is tcp dump. Can you explain. I will download Ethereal right now. I will play around with it.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Apr 15, 2004, 12:08 AM

MAC = media access control - (a unique identifier of machines on a network)
Mac = Macintosh - a type of computer
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
what is tcp dump. Can you explain. I will download Ethereal right now. I will play around with it.
For someone who's covering a book, this comes of a surprise to me as you usually have to do a lot of reading (official/primary references) before just asking around. Sorry if this comes off as harsh or offensive, but the answer to your question can be found out very easily.

If you're attempting to break into a Mac remotely, be it by sniffing a password, exploting a vulnerability of a particular service, or what not, I wish you the best of luck. Not that its impossible, but its just downright difficult what with the restrictions in place by several ISPs these days.

Oh, you do know that hacking into someone else's system without their consent is illegal, right? So unless you're doing this to your own machines, you'd better be sure not to be caught.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 03:38 AM

of corse. I got a dummy comp down stairs mac and a windows box. Like i siad pop in the cd change there pw and u can do any thing. I dont read sites a lot cuaes its jut like not direct. Like the dump thing. I looked it up read about it but still iffy on the subject. I like actuall people tellin me. For some reason its easlier.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
MAC = media access control - (a unique identifier of machines on a network)
Mac = Macintosh - a type of computer
So does that mean since every one has a mac address every one is a mac user?!?!?

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 11:56 AM

Mind if I ask what exactly you plan to help the guy writing a book with?

Writing books that sell isn't something you can do just like that, research is a major part of it. Asking questions about what tcpdump is makes you come of like a lazy script-kiddie. If you're really serious, read a book on computer security and/or use google. You might also try to improve your spelling and grammar a bit.

Educate yourself.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 03:17 PM

of corse. I got a dummy comp down stairs mac and a windows box. Like i siad pop in the cd change there pw and u can do any thing. I dont read sites a lot cuaes its jut like not direct. Like the dump thing. I looked it up read about it but still iffy on the subject. I like actuall people tellin me. For some reason its easlier.
Yeah, it's usually easier when other people think for you. Maybe you should learn how to think for yourself?

Phil

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 05:30 PM

I'm beginning to think this whole thread is a joke. Sorry for having participated in it.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 05:57 PM

Im just doing the research. Iv been looking around but the more opinions I get the better. I got few pages on topics the guy can write about. Thanks for your input. I will keep on searching.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 12:30 PM

I wasn't even going to read this thread, until I saw who started it.
Seriously, do a search and check out some of his other posts... Priceless stuff. You just can't fake this.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 11:36 AM

I just want the job lol. The only way I will get it is if I can hack a mac for the book purposes to educate the public on security. Im just mad becuase mac's are harder to crack than windows lol. I mean the book im sure u have herd of. Steal this computer book is the name theres 3 out there and now I have to do the apple edition. Well help and gather sources. I figured the best way to take controll of someones mac is go to there house pop in the cd change there pw out file volt on and work from there. But if that is the case I have no book lol.
Already been done, and done quite well, I might add. Written by the guys that wrote Mac OS X Unleashed.

Mac OS X: Maximum Security

The book is very thorough, and well written... hasn't been updated for Panther yet, but they should be doing that soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules