Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Newbie wants to create a dynamic site

Newbie wants to create a dynamic site
MDiddy
Apr 22, 2004, 01:20 AM

Hello all....I want to setup a personal site for myself that easily updated-hopefully on a daily basis with standard table or css layout. I don't know enough about blogs..so I don't know if thats what should be looking for. I'm willing to learn php/sql to get thise done. It's actually one of the main reasons that i want to do it. Just something for myself-I may setup a forum, but I don't expect much traffic to it. Anyone have suggections on which way to go with this? I'm pretty well versed in HTML, and I have DW 2004. I'm asking more on the development side. How should I begin this to make it as modular and dynamic as possible.

Thanks
"Litter is my most treacherous foe. I would like to eat its children."
-Drederick Tatum

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2004, 05:16 AM

I want to setup a personal site for myself that easily updated-hopefully on a daily basis with standard table or css layout
You should look at some blogging and/or CMS packages.
dynamic
I use WordPress for my purposes, however you may also want to take look at Drupal.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2004, 03:23 PM

I'm only a few steps ahead of you, but I think I might be able to give you some insight I've picked up along the way.

PHP and MySQL are a great mix for people getting started in dynamic web development in my opinion. Getting a good book is a great way to start. I have one (I forgot the title and it's sitting at home). Also, finding tutorials and bits of code online will help you clean up your own code and give you a grasp of standard logic structures or whatever. I did things a little backward and started reading tutorials before I bought a book. I think if I had started with the book, I'd be a lot more efficient coder right now.

As for the forum you were talking about, look into getting some already developed web applications, such as phpBB. Putting together a forum takes a lot of work and knowhow. Getting something like phpBB will help you understand what's happening, how the PHP scripts are setup, how they interact with one another, how PHP calls on MySQL, etc.

There are also packages for Blogs, but since I'm not a big fan of blogs, I haven't looked at them much.

Also, a big thing that I'm just beginning to do is planning out my website. Know which pages will connect to which pages and when (ie when a user has the right authentication level). From what it sounds like what you want to do, you'd need a publicly accessable index page that would display the latest information you've added. You'd also need a private (ie password protected) section where you could log in to insert new data into a MySQL database, edit old entries, and delete old entries. Something to that degree.

Best of luck my man. It's a lot of fun (at least for me).

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Forum Links
Forum Rules