Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > os x prints bad photos?

os x prints bad photos?
hornsofglass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 09:18 PM

okay, so i have managed to get 4x6 prints using the HP software (latest version just downloaded).

BUT, the print quality is inferior to the prints made in XP.

here is the set up:
i've used the same printer, an HP 1350v on both of my systems and the XP machines pictures are a MUCH better quality.

both machines are printing the SAME photo on the SAME hp photo paper.

the XP machine is set for "maximum dpi" (the highest setting it has) and the panther (10.3.3) iBook is set for "high resolution" (os x's highest setting).

HP support has me running in circles. claiming first that i must understand this is an entry level printer and that i can't expect great prints from it. after explaining (again) that i AM getting great prints from it in XP, they say that i can't compare the two, as windows and mac are like apples and oranges. I'm not comparing windows and macs, i'm comparing two printed photographs that i'm holding in my hand.

then, i'm told that the problem is with OS X, as what is printed out is just what the computer is telling the printer to do, and it's a problem with the way OS X sees the colors.

is this true?
can anyone help me out here. i'd love to stick with just my iBook, and store away the PC, but this is a fairly big problem for me.

thanks,

rick

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 10:08 PM

Let's assume there is a problem with the way your Mac is telling the printer to print. That would still be HP's problem because they wrote the driver!

Are you absolutely certain you are using the correct driver? My HP driver has a setting titles "Maximum DPI" and it prints beautifully.

Chris

hornsofglass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Let's assume there is a problem with the way your Mac is telling the printer to print. That would still be HP's problem because they wrote the driver!

Are you absolutely certain you are using the correct driver? My HP driver has a setting titles "Maximum DPI" and it prints beautifully.

Chris
that is exactly what i thought. they were very careful not to admit to anything.

i even specifically asked if there was a problem with their support of the printer on the OS X system. but it should make a difference.

the driver that i'm using is: 1300_634_EN.hqx (for psc 1300 series printers) downloaded directly from their site, as directed to by the customer support.

this is really irking me. i love this new iBook, and REALLY love iPhoto. Now if i could just get decent prints out of it.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 10:52 PM

Check your settings for ColorSync and make a print with everything turned off.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 11:14 PM

also check every setting. At times my computer likes to jump to generic.

hornsofglass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 11:33 PM

what exactly am i looking for to check the profiles and such?

right now my default profiles are generic cmyk, rgb, and gray.
preferred CMM is set to automatic

what else do i need to set/check?

thanks,
rick

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 12, 2004, 12:14 AM

HP's software is crap. Just print from iPhoto or Photoshop or whatever and manually set the print settings. You'll get nice prints that way. HP's software loves to monkey with your settings -- not a good thing.

tooki

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by hornsofglass:
You need to make sure everything is properly calibrated. It sounds as though you're still using the defaults, but Apple's default profiles are actually pretty good for most purposes. However, it's possible that the HP software isn't obeying those settings; it does that on occasion. You may want to try printing from a different program.

While you're at it, you may want to calibrate your monitor anyway. It's amazing the difference a properly-calibrated monitor can make. It takes about ten minutes, but it is worth it. I didn't used to think it made much difference, but then I finally got it right; I've sworn by it ever since. To do this, go into System Preferences, then Displays, then Color; once there, click the "Calibrate" button; it will walk you through the remaining steps.

A tip for calibrating: If you wear glasses or contact lenses, remove them for the color stuff. It's actually easier to calibrate a monitor if your vision is blurred.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by hornsofglass:
Look into the print dialog (command-P) and see if it has a Colour Management section. If so, turn off ColorSync (or any other colour management) there.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Look into the print dialog (command-P) and see if it has a Colour Management section. If so, turn off ColorSync (or any other colour management) there.
Yah, if that doesn't work, take it back. I've never run in to a situation where a supported printer didn't work well on my Mac. Then again, I usually buy making sure they do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules