Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OMG OMG OMG the real iphone is due out next week!!!

OMG OMG OMG the real iphone is due out next week!!! (Page 2)
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 05:25 PM

The fakest an ugliest so far:

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 3, 2006, 05:43 PM

Needs more blurry.

"Hello, what have we here?

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Looks like a high rez print out.
DING DING DING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYF3BpbFI9c

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
The iPhone will either be the 'iPod' of cell phones... revolutionary and wildly successful, or a total flop.

The problem is that the service providers have a total lock on the industry. Since they are the ones buying handsets, they say what technologies go into handsets, and what doesn't. They don't want wi-fi and VOIP since they sell service. They don't want it to be easy to drop a new MP3 from your iTunes into the ringtones folder, since they like charging $3 dollars for that.

For Apple to build a phone how Apple wants it, they'd have to basically go it on their own, 'cause the providers are used to getting their way.

With all of that said, Apple could totally flip the industry on its head by building a phone that everyone wants, that is totally awesome, and which sells like hotcakes -- outside of the service providers. If they can convince people that it's worth walking over to an Apple store and paying $400 for the Apple kick ass phone rather than getting a free razr, it will change the US cell phone industry.

But if Apple doesn't do it right, it'll be overpriced and underfeatured. It'll sell a few and then be gone, ala ROKR, or FLOPR as I like to call it.
I totally agree.

I think one thing Apple could do to help alleviate some of the hurdles and restrictions that the providers place on them would be to strike a big deal with some young hip service provider. I'm not talking about the Sprints/T-Mobile's/Cingular's of the world.. but one that is new and caters more to the younger demographic. This would be the type of provider who would welcome Apple and help them bring technologies to the market that the people demand, but the bigger providers don't like.

I'm very excited to see what Apple comes up with. I'm certain they will unveil something at WWDC. And anyone that knows Apple should be expecting something great.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Wow... It looks really light. I wonder how apple managed to put all the electronics inside that paper thin surface?

ImpulseResponse

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:22 PM

Why do people want Apple to make a phone? More importantly: why do you think it will be any good?

I love Apple, but it usually takes them a few revisions to make something truly "great."

Remember the lousy 3G iPod "buttons" that came before the marvelous 4G click-wheel?
Remember the Finder? 6 years later, and they still haven't FTFF!
Spotlight is ok, but without boolean search it's pretty lame.
Apple shipped Dashboard without any clear method of managing widgets.
Mighty Mouse? Not so mighty.

I have no faith that Apple can "re-invent" the phone.

People expect an iPod-like revolution. More likely, it'll be a Pippin- or Newton-style disaster.

I hope I'm wrong, but Apple has let us down too often.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:23 PM

Looks really, reallly fookin sh!t. They need to make it look cool, not based on the iPod. I'm thinking a slimmer V3.
A Jew with a view.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
I saw it the other day. Two hinges on a phone? That would get annoying really fast.
Not only annoying but easily breakable.

Why not one hinge with a swivel ability?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

version
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Not only annoying but easily breakable.

Why not one hinge with a swivel ability?
Apple needs to break from the, 'white, curved plastic' of the iPod. Phones are different in terms of how one handles them, adn Apple to adopt the shaping of the iPod is a big mistake, IMO.
A Jew with a view.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
The fakest an ugliest so far:

Yeah, that is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Just what every iPod needs is a keyboard. Just what every phone needs is to not fit in a briefcase.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by version
Apple needs to break from the, 'white, curved plastic' of the iPod. Phones are different in terms of how one handles them, adn Apple to adopt the shaping of the iPod is a big mistake, IMO.
I think that the two hinged video is the best so far, but still not happening.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I think that the two hinged video is the best so far, but still not happening.

yeah, i know what you mean, my friend. thing is; most of us are quite particular for designs. My g/f loves her nokia, but i liek my motorola; yet i know ohters who love the v3 and so on. ~GUess it's difficult to produce something that will satisfy most,
A Jew with a view.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I think one thing Apple could do to help alleviate some of the hurdles and restrictions that the providers place on them would be to strike a big deal with some young hip service provider. I'm not talking about the Sprints/T-Mobile's/Cingular's of the world.. but one that is new and caters more to the younger demographic. This would be the type of provider who would welcome Apple and help them bring technologies to the market that the people demand, but the bigger providers don't like.
You do realize that most/all of the "young, hip" service providers are marketing gimmicks by the big companies, right? Even the ones that aren't lease infrastructure from those same big companies. Even if Apple were to go its own way, it'd still have to contract with these telecomm giants to make it work... And that's if they choose to play.

Why do people want Apple to make a phone? More importantly: why do you think it will be any good?
Because it can't get much worse. There are compromises with most all devices claiming Mac compatibility. I want something that's as easy to use as an early-90s Sharp Wizard, as ever-present as my BlackBerry and which syncs to my Mac as effortlessly as only an Apple product could.

Seriously, I would pay real money for such a device and switch service providers, if necessary, too!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2006, 06:45 PM

If they made a phone the same size as the iPod nano (and made it look similar) I'd buy one. That'd be pretty sweet.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by version
~GUess it's difficult to produce something that will satisfy most,
No, it's not.

Fugly PCs have a market share of 95%. See, it's not that hard

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If they made a phone the same size as the iPod nano (and made it look similar) I'd buy one. That'd be pretty sweet.
LOL, yeah, why don't they add battery capacity, more buttons, more complex electronics w/o adding to weight and size. Can't be that hard

-t

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
LOL, yeah, why don't they add battery capacity, more buttons, more complex electronics w/o adding to weight and size. Can't be that hard

-t

It's called magic. Look it up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Mock it up.
Fixinated.

-t

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
You do realize that most/all of the "young, hip" service providers are marketing gimmicks by the big companies, right? Even the ones that aren't lease infrastructure from those same big companies. Even if Apple were to go its own way, it'd still have to contract with these telecomm giants to make it work... And that's if they choose to play.
They could (in theory) sell a 'network neutral' phone in Europe (does the Mobile market not work like that in the USA?). So you would be free to go and get a contract & sim with whichever provider you wanted. However this would be next to impossible to market as most people never 'see' the real price of a phone, as it's all bundled together in all sorts of deals and billing contracts. The Apple contract free phone would appear to be a massively expensive one off cost compared to something like this latest Sony k800 (with a 3.2 Megapixel cam) for around �30 per month.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 07:21 PM

Apple has a great sense of style, but a lot of Mac enthusiasts have none whatsoever. There have been some really idiotic Apple mockups in the past:

http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/a...tled-1%7E1.jpg
http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/a...%20Concept.jpg
I rest my case.

This is the only good iPhone concept which I've seen so far:
http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/a...podconcept.jpg
But even still, it looks more like a Zune than an iPod.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 07:31 PM

This is the only good iPhone concept which I've seen so far:
http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/a...podconcept.jpg
But even still, it looks more like a Zune than an iPod.
Hmm... Maybe if the click-wheel pulled all the way down to reveal a phone keypad.

Tom_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 07:41 PM

the i phone looks like it could easilly snap and also looks like a chocolate phone from verision.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2006, 10:27 PM

I hope that's not the real thing, because it's really ugly.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 10:58 PM

Remember the lousy 3G iPod "buttons" that came before the marvelous 4G
speak for yourself...3g ipod was a HUGE seller and i didnt mind the touch buttons at all. its the only ipod without movable buttons and the last of the all white ipods.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
speak for yourself...3g ipod was a HUGE seller and i didnt mind the touch buttons at all. its the only ipod without movable buttons and the last of the all white ipods.
Plus, the backlight was nice. And no accidental clicks.
I wouldn't say the click-wheel was THAT much of an improvement.

-t

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
Because of those stupid buttons I ended selling mine sooner than normal.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
That phone is ugly as hell.
I agree. It is pretty ugly.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
Meh...

The thing does look fragile; I think a phone would demand a slightly different design than traditional Apple designs. I hope it does well, though.

Personally, I'd rather have a Treo 650 ('cause the 700 uses that Windows Mobile crap) or an SE P910.
The 700w uses Windows Mobile. The 700p uses Palm OS.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
The 700w uses Windows Mobile. The 700p uses Palm OS.

Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2006, 01:32 PM

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 01:49 PM

"It's not a tuma!"

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 05:36 PM

I just saw for the first time all these Disney Mobile commercials where the parents could track their kids with built in GPS on the phones. There were also all sorts of other neat features. Do you think that there may be a connection??

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2006, 05:52 PM

Ok. What's your point ?

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 06:07 PM

It's a quote from that move Kindgarten Cop, where children state the obvious to one another.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck

-t
The front would look just like a Nano, then it'd slide up (like some phones) and have the phone part underneath. Or maybe have a fliptop.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
No they wouldn't. The GSM service providers will take anything that can take a SIM card. Apple makes phone that takes SIM card and sells it. Anyone who wants to use it on their existing GSM account jsut pops the card in it. If you don't already have a SIM card, then you can buy the SIM alone for about £1 in the UK, and I imagine you can in the US too.

If they do that and it takes off, networks would then step up and start offering it. If everyone wants the Apple phone, they'll offer it even if it does have wifi and VOIP. Besides, Nokia's E series phones are getting offered by networks, and they have both of those features; but before they were offered, they were available as SIM-free for around £350.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2006, 05:42 PM

Goddamed too expensive!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya
No they wouldn't.
Yes and no.

Apple could sell it w/o a contract to end customers, but the price would be so high that it would not sell well. Much better is if telcom providers offer the phones subsidized with a 1 or 2 yr contract. That makes the phones cheap or even free, and hence, will give it a much better chance of success.

-t

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2006, 08:31 PM

There seems like there will be enough to unveil at the WWDC this year, it just doesn't seem realistic enough to be this year...
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2006, 08:37 PM

What about that "insider" dude whose brother works at Apple, and who said that we should be ready for a "dizzying" amount of product releases? Right now, the rumor sites have only managed to pin down a single product, the Mac Pro. There has to be other stuff.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2006, 08:42 PM

Wait we're all sharing one now! Frick how am I supposed to ever get laid now!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn
Hey, that's pretty sweet.

I wonder how long it took to create that video.

P.S. Who's music is that?

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 02:40 PM

People suck at making videos. You think since we have three computers with built in webcams plus an optional iSight camera that people who are breaking their NDA's with Apple could at least present a video that shows the phone in perfect clarity(during daylight hours), not be from some obscure country, and show features people care about. Video chat? Music? Movies? Anything? If Apple releases any phone I hope they hunt down these people and sue them. Ban them from the entire product line too. But then again, they probably used a webcam on a PC.

volcano
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Hey, that's pretty sweet.

I wonder how long it took to create that video.

P.S. Who's music is that?
"In The Waiting Line" by Zero 7.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 03:32 PM

What about that "insider" dude whose brother works at Apple, and who said that we should be ready for a "dizzying" amount of product releases? Right now, the rumor sites have only managed to pin down a single product, the Mac Pro. There has to be other stuff.
Better Macbooks
New OS
Mac Pro
New iPod
Not Enough for you?
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger
Better Macbooks
New OS
Mac Pro
New iPod
Not Enough for you?
The new OS is being previewed and distributed to developers, not released. The Mac Pro is in the bag, but as Kerrigan mentioned, the rumor sites are hedging their bets on the iPod and MacBooks. In fact, most of 'em are saying the iPods won't show up till fall. So what we've got are a new desktop line and a maybe laptop update that probably won't have any particularly surprising features. Not dizzying. I agree that there has to be more.

Or Scoble's talking out his ass. His brother's employment at Apple doesn't necessarily mean much.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger
Better Macbooks
New OS (not being released)
Mac Pro
New iPod (most rumor sites say it's being delayed)
Not Enough for you?
So like I said, only the Mac Pro is known so far.

There has to be other stuff that we don't know about.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn
I agree. That looks like a hot phone. I might even retire my Treo 650 for something like that. It all comes down to apps for me.

Many are posting about the cost of the phone. If the new phone has a decent hard drive for mp3s, then would it be worth it? If it had 1 gig? 4 gig? 8 gig? It truly could be a convergent device to allow me not to have an iPod and a cell phone. Since people are already paying hundreds of dollars for iPods, why wouldn't they pay the same or a little more for an iPod/phone? It certainly sounds good to me. I'm hoping for an iPhone, iTalk or whatever they may call it.

As far as roll out, that's up for debate. If it's GSM, I can pop my Cingular sim out of my Treo and put it right into a new phone Well, wishful thinking. We'll see tomorrow. Nite nite!
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Forum Links
Forum Rules