Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Slot Load Drive & Mini/Pocket CD's?

MacBook Slot Load Drive & Mini/Pocket CD's?
Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2006, 01:20 AM

I just tried inserting one of my mini/pocket cdr's into my MacBooks slot drive & found that when I pushed it all the way in, it never actually got pulled into the drive. I used a paperclip to remove it from the drive & the drive is fine...

Is it impossible to use the mini cd's with the current MacBook's drives? I had a slot-loading iMac G3 back in the day, and the mini-cd's worked without perfeclty fine in thoes...

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:23 AM

I have heard alot of horror stories about little CD in slot-loading drives. Yu can't be sure that they will work. You also can't be sure that it will be easy to remove if it doesn't work.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2006, 05:59 AM

The disc will get stuck. If it didn't get stuck the first time you're really, really lucky.

If you are a real risk taker you can try a 3" (round) CD with one of those donut adapters, and it should work fine most of the time (although there's still a risk). But it's far better to use an external drawer loading reader to read the disc.

And don't even think about trying to load any irregular-shaped disc, even a business card disc.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 09:31 AM

A long time ago there were a few Macs whose slot-loading drives took the little discs, but Apple's advised against it across the board for the last 3.5 years or so now..

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 5, 2006, 01:05 PM

Early slot-load drives did accept discs other than 12cm (full-size), but they stopped doing that.

DO NOT put a small disc in a modern slot-load drive. It can cause damage. Note that the instruction manual that came with your Mac specifically mentions NOT to use small and/or non-round discs.

tooki

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2006, 04:00 PM

Nice... The small disks come in handy for when I need to mail photos... Now I gotta figure out what to do with the half spool I've got left...

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2006, 11:59 PM

Like I said, if you really want you can try a 3" - 5" adapter donut. If you can't find one in retail try online.

Pocket Mini CD Adapter for VERT. Drives Car Player Cartridge (Memorex-30183001) - PriceGrabber.com

This item is listed as "not available" and I guess these are much harder to find than in the past, but if you tried hard enough, I'm sure you could find one.

Otherwise get a cheap external CD-R.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

MattARocks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2007, 08:03 PM

Oh my god, HELP FAST! How did you get it out with a paper clip! I JUST GOT IT STCUK IN! HELP!! FAST

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 01:56 PM

Try turning off your computer and unplugging it - and removing the battery first!! - then unwind a paperclip and stick into the slot. Wiggle it around to see if you can find the cd, and use the paperclip to nudge the CD out of the drive.

If you can't get it out, and your laptop is out of warranty, you can try disassembling the computer and taking apart the CD drive to get the disc out.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 02:04 PM

Or just tip it so the drive faces the floor and give it a few taps!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules