Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need assistance with odd airport wireless problems...

Need assistance with odd airport wireless problems...
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008, 07:40 PM

I will try to keep this one fairly short, but here it goes.
I have my website http://www.atheist.nu. Every morning I go to the site and check my stats, and make sure everything is running fine... Well, this morning, I got a page showing the default page of when I bought the domain name. All my content was gone...I called Godaddy, and they looked up my site, and could see it just fine. So I called my ISP(shaw cable), and they could see it just fine. If I plug my laptop directly into the cable modem, I get to my site fine as well. It has to do with my wireless...I have 2 base stations in the house. I have been running without a password on both. The main one is "Living Room", which is plugged into my cable modem, and the other is "remote", that I move around for Airtunes in the house...I rebooted both stations, and they don't give me a green light now. They both flash orange. I can get out wirelessly from my imac, but can't get my site...It is like it is blocking me from getting there, and showing the site that the domain company shows when someone has bought a domain, but has no hosting yet...

My laptop seems to only 'see' my remote basestation, and my imac seems to only see the living room one, even when I re-scan for more basestations...The imac seems to have access to the internet(except my site), and the laptop can't seem to surf the internet...

I will start with that. Any ideas WTF is going on? And, if someone can show me how to add a photo to my post, so I can give screenprints...
( Last edited by larrinski; Mar 8, 2008 at 07:51 PM. )
My Blog-pakos.me

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008, 01:17 AM

An update so far:
My ISP says now that they can't see my site on a machine in my area. They had looked at my site from a machine farther away from where I live. Not that I like to plug my site in such an odd fashion, but can any of you see the content of my site(the last post was 1% of Americans in Prison), or do you see something like this, "This domain (www.atheist.nu) is registered and maintained by one of our customers". I can FTP into my site, but can't log into my Site Admin.
My airport base station seems to be back up and running. I disconnected the remote one, and did a hard reset, and after quite some time, the green light is back...
My Blog-pakos.me

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2008, 09:40 AM

Your site loads for me. This is really odd, but I think it may have something to do with your current connection to your ISP. Not the type of connection, but the status of that connection NOW. I have to re-connect to my ISP from time to time because either my modem or their equipment stops properly passing traffic. Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes this, and since I'm not hosting anything here it's no biggie. I'm on a DSL connection and since there's some authentication going on with DSL that kind of glitch sort of makes sense. But with your cable connection it's hard to see where this could happen. If I had a really good explanation I'd give it here but all I can say is "it happens on cable too."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Your site loads for me. This is really odd, but I think it may have something to do with your current connection to your ISP. Not the type of connection, but the status of that connection NOW. I have to re-connect to my ISP from time to time because either my modem or their equipment stops properly passing traffic. Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes this, and since I'm not hosting anything here it's no biggie. I'm on a DSL connection and since there's some authentication going on with DSL that kind of glitch sort of makes sense. But with your cable connection it's hard to see where this could happen. If I had a really good explanation I'd give it here but all I can say is "it happens on cable too."
Thanks! I did have them "investigate" the problem. Of course like any good ISP, I got no call back, but I can now see my site fine, and everything is back to normal. Maybe they disconnected my from the grid... Perhaps my site was just too controversial for them... Then again, probably not...
My Blog-pakos.me

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 10, 2008, 06:08 PM

More likely there was some sort of giltch in their end of your connection, and while they'd probably never admit that this was the case, they corrected it because you brought it to their attention.

And I'm glad everything is working for you now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules