Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't do updates to apps in /Applications

Can't do updates to apps in /Applications
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2008, 11:14 PM

I have just started running into this problem over the last couple of days. I can install a fresh copy of an application, but I can't replace the copy within /Applications when I am doing upgrades/updates. As an example, I have Circus Ponies Notebook 2.1 v265, and I download the 2.1 v266, and drag it to /Applications, and answer "Replace" when it prompts. In Finder I get a message that I don't have sufficient privileges for some of the items. In Path Finder, it kicks out the message that Operation cannot be completed. OSStatus error -36. I have done a reboot, tried the magic repair permissions, and have tried to do the installs inside my Admin account, instead of my standard user account.

All to no avail...

If I uninstall Notebook v265, and install v266, it works fine. The same applied to Thunderbird, Cyberduck, MacVim, etc... Any ideas as to why I can't do the upgrades? Cheers,
My Blog-pakos.me

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2008, 12:49 AM

Error -36 is an I/O error. Have you tried checking your drive with whatever disk utilities you have?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Error -36 is an I/O error. Have you tried checking your drive with whatever disk utilities you have?
Verify Disk says it "appears to be OK"
I guess I will do a reboot and run a hardware test, or is there something else that may assist?
My Blog-pakos.me

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2008, 03:17 PM

I trust you have a complete backup of everything of value on your hard disk?

*hint*

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2008, 03:35 PM

What analogika is getting at is that since the disk directory (the software part) appears to be OK, the problem could be that the hard disk mechanism itself (the hardware part) may be near failure. Backing up would definitely be wise.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2008, 04:26 PM

Cool. I do have regular backups in 2 locations. I will start "preparing" for the worst...

Thanks. I think.
My Blog-pakos.me

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2008, 08:26 PM

I've had the same problem before... deleting from the Applications folder and then dragging the new version in worked fine. Some wonky permissions issue with OS X.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I've had the same problem before... deleting from the Applications folder and then dragging the new version in worked fine. Some wonky permissions issue with OS X.
That is what I have found. If I drag the old app out first, and then install the new version, everything is fine. I can live with that for now...
My Blog-pakos.me

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 06:58 AM

Note - I run as a standard user account.

I am experiencing a bug in Leopard whereby the initial drag and drop install over an application will often (but not always) fail with a "you don't have sufficient privileges" error, but if I then drag and drop the app to overwrite the older original a second time, it will work and ask me to input admin details (except I now get a message saying that I am now replacing a newer version of the app).
( Last edited by JKT; Apr 21, 2008 at 07:04 AM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 12:16 PM

Just in case it wasn't clear... having experienced this bug again today, you don't have to remove the original app - you just have to copy over it a second time and you will then be able to do so (only you get a stupid warning about it being newer than the version you are copying).

Forum Links
Forum Rules