Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > An Important Day in History

An Important Day in History (Page 2)
Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jun 13, 2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
I'm a Band of Brothers fan myself. Maybe I'll watch the D-Day episode today.
Then you'll love this piece of history.
My father's 1943 Remington 03A4.

All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 07:53 AM

Actors Who Fought in Normandy on D-Day.

US TV, stage and occasional movie actor Charles Durning had an extraordinary experience in WW2. As a soldier in the famous 1st US army division, he survived the bloody landing on Omaha beach on D-Day. Six months later, he was captured by the Germans during the battle of the Bulge and he was one of only three men to survive the infamous Malmedy massacre where over 100 captured Americans were machine-gunned by Waffen-SS. He finished the war with three Purple Hearts.

James Doohan ('Scotty' in Star Trek) - served in the Canadian artillery during WW2 and fought in Normandy in 1944.

Richard Todd (UK)- Was a Paratrooper in the British 6th Airborne division in WW2 and he saw action on D-Day in Normandy, 1944. He fought at the famous action at Pegasus Bridge and later acted in a scene in a film that re-created this battle. War movies he appeared in included- The Dam Busters, The Longest Day, D-Day: the 6th June, Operation Cross-Bow.

David Niven ("Dawn Patrol," among many others) had a very distinguished military career in WW2. He was the son of William E.G. Niven, who was killed at Gallipoli in WW1. David Niven attended Sandhurst, giving him his "officer and gentleman" bearing; he served four years with the Highland Light Infantry before resigning his commission. Giving up a thriving film career in 1939, he left Hollywood and returned to England and rejoined the British Army. He served in the Rifle Brigade, and was eventually assigned as a liaison officer between the British 2nd Army and the First U.S. Army. He arrived in Normandy a few days after D-Day.

War Movie actors who also experienced the real thing- (A list) - The Aerodrome Forum
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
Then you'll love this piece of history.
My father's 1943 Remington 03A4.

Nice piece!

Remington 03A4
M1903A4 SNIPER RIFLE
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2008, 10:16 AM

Just a note—I deleted the completely off-topic stuff between abe and effgee (if I can get the post delete function to work) so we can continue on the original point of the thread.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jun 13, 2008, 10:19 AM

Jimmy Stewart was a bomber pilot in WWII.

Clark Gable was a gunner on a B17.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2008, 10:20 AM

More actors: Charles Durning was a private who landed on Omaha on D-Day.

Jimmy Stewart flew B-17s, but was assigned as an instructor pilot during the war. He wound up retiring as a Brigadier (I think) General from the Air Force Reserves, having flown just about every bomber up to and including the B-52.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules