Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Looking to Run 802.11n in home, but have old express using g

Looking to Run 802.11n in home, but have old express using g
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2008, 11:22 PM

I have an older intel imac with 802.11g, but have found a USB router that runs the n spec. So now I am considering getting an airport extreme base-station with 802.11n, so my macbook air, and imac can run at the n speed. But I want to be able to use the Airtunes with my current airport express 802.11g, but only for wireless music. Will this cause me problems? I would go out and just buy the 802.11n express version, but I can get the extreme base station for $39. If it won't slow down my network to have the airport express running for airtunes of course...

I had read in the past somewhere that if you have any devices using 802.11g, that it slows down the whole network. Will this be the case if I set up the extreme as my main router?

Cheers,
My Blog-pakos.me

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:31 AM

Here's what you do. You get the n Extreme and run it as a pure 802.11n base station. To one of its LAN ports you hook up your Express and configure it to host a g network in bridge mode. You also set it up for AirTunes. The iMac connects to the Express and the MBA connects to the Extreme. Everybody gets their maximum throughput w/o reducing other clients' speeds.

You will find Apple's instructions on how to do this "dual-band network" in this manual (page 48-49).

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Here's what you do. You get the n Extreme and run it as a pure 802.11n base station. To one of its LAN ports you hook up your Express and configure it to host a g network in bridge mode. You also set it up for AirTunes. The iMac connects to the Express and the MBA connects to the Extreme. Everybody gets their maximum throughput w/o reducing other clients' speeds.

You will find Apple's instructions on how to do this "dual-band network" in this manual (page 48-49).
I think what I am trying to do, though I have done a poor job describing it, is to use a plug and play USB wireless N card/router, on my imac. Then connect it to an N router, so that both my imac and MBA are running on the extreme. But because the extreme doesn't run Airtunes, I would like to have the G express available to itunes on the imac for music to my stereo. A friend of mine is running an express only for itunes, but isn't running any wireless network. I could be mis-understanding the way wireless works, but for me to run both at N speeds, the express can't be part of the network, can it?
My Blog-pakos.me

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 03:35 AM

OK, I see.

You're right. It's not good enough to get the n adapter for the iMac because the g Express you'd be using for AirTunes would still require a mixed g/n network and hence lower speed for your MBA.

So you can do this: buy the n Extreme and the n adapter for the iMac. Both the iMac and the MBA then connect to the Extreme through a pure n network. Hook up the g Express to the LAN port of your Extreme and use it solely for AirTunes (you can turn off its wireless features). That way you get maximum n speeds on the wireless network and still have the Express for AirTunes.

If you cannot connect the Express to the LAN port of the n Extreme and your stereo system at the same time, you could buy a new Express (it now comes with n support) and use that on your n network for AirTunes. Obviously this is no cheap solution but it would give you maximum n speeds and AirTunes.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
OK, I see.

You're right. It's not good enough to get the n adapter for the iMac because the g Express you'd be using for AirTunes would still require a mixed g/n network and hence lower speed for your MBA.

So you can do this: buy the n Extreme and the n adapter for the iMac. Both the iMac and the MBA then connect to the Extreme through a pure n network. Hook up the g Express to the LAN port of your Extreme and use it solely for AirTunes (you can turn off its wireless features). That way you get maximum n speeds on the wireless network and still have the Express for AirTunes.

If you cannot connect the Express to the LAN port of the n Extreme and your stereo system at the same time, you could buy a new Express (it now comes with n support) and use that on your n network for AirTunes. Obviously this is no cheap solution but it would give you maximum n speeds and AirTunes.
Thanks! I think I will give it a go for the $39 cost for the Extreme. If the G express causes some problems connecting to the Lan port, then I guess buying an N express would be a solution. Thanks again.
My Blog-pakos.me

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 11:07 AM

That sounds like a solid plan. Get the n adapter for your iMac and the inexpensive n Extreme.

Try hooking up the g Express to your stereo system and the Extreme's LAN port.

If that doesn't work connect the Express through wireless. You can still do a bit of benchmarking to see how much the mixed g/n network and the wireless connection to your Express affects communication between your n Macs and the Extreme.

If you then come to the conclusion that the g Express is really holding you back, get an n Express for $79. If not, keep it the way it is and enjoy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules