Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Gahhh! Static javascript menu header on MacNN

Gahhh! Static javascript menu header on MacNN
Titanium Man
Forum Regular
May 12, 2010, 09:38 PM

Does anyone else hate these things? I can't stand them on any site I visit, either headers or footers that keep popping up every time you scroll. What's worse is that they invariably are for features that I never use, like Twitter and Facebook. I hate that they interfere with scrolling. You go an entire page down or up and suddenly there's no overlap between pages because some of the window is now blocked off.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 13, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Titanium Man View Post
Does anyone else hate these things? I can't stand them on any site I visit, either headers or footers that keep popping up every time you scroll. What's worse is that they invariably are for features that I never use, like Twitter and Facebook. I hate that they interfere with scrolling. You go an entire page down or up and suddenly there's no overlap between pages because some of the window is now blocked off.
At the top of the page, next to the search box, is a preferences menu (it has a wrench and a screwdriver on it). Click it and select "turn off apture links," and that will get rid of the annoying persistent header.

beeners
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2010, 05:51 PM

I was about to abandon Macnn due to this horrible "feature" that makes the pages unusable. Thanks for the hint for fixing this massive problem. How can anyone think this is the proper default setting? I had already given up on visiting with my iPhone due to the same "features".

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2010, 05:56 PM

Thank you for the note on how to turn it off.

Whoever thought that was a good idea, and then didn't even follow the page design (rectangular text entry box WTF and gradient FAIL) really needs a good thrashing.

reader50
Administrator
May 13, 2010, 06:29 PM

I tried the new front page for a few days, then went back to legacy before they added this header. So I hadn't seen it before today.

The new front page is attractive. But after trying it, I noticed it was fixed-width. The content area doesn't stretch with the page. Hence why I ran back to Legacy.

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 15, 2010, 07:30 AM

Fixed width is a good thing because it makes text easier to read.

gskibum3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2010, 07:53 PM

Glad it can be turned off because I was also about to abandon macnn because of them.

I will rarely visit a site that has such nonsense. After 1-2 seconds, that's it and the page is closed.

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2010, 03:12 PM

Thanks for posting the info on how to disable this, I was moments away from removing MaccNN from my bookmarkmenu and never returning again, these kinds of interfering additions to sites (and the "kontera links"... and "tynt paste feature") are incredibly annoying.

Don't declare war on your users, stay away from things like that, please.

Forum Links
Forum Rules