Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How much battery drain in standby?

How much battery drain in standby?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2005, 09:07 PM

Hi

I don't seem to be getting anywhere near the full life from a battery charge (iPod mini). I seem to get about 2 hours. I have the backlight set for 3 seconds. I often hit 'pause' then lock my iPod which, after a few moments, puts it in stand-by. It seems to stay this way for a certain amount of time (any ideas how long?) before it switches off.

If I switched it off straight away, would I save any juice?

Thanks

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 11:02 PM

Techinically, the iPod never switches OFF. It is always in sleep mode, which kills the battery faster than some other mp3 players.

As for your question: how old is your mini? do you use it every day? do you charge it correctly?

You're supposed to kill the battery completely and then charge it to full to get the best life out of your battery. This is nearly impossible to do with everyday use. Let your iPod run dead completely, plus a few hours, then charge it up for 3-4 til it's full. let it run til it dies again (without switching tracks or using the backlight*). post your time here.

*the ideal situation for most battery life

hayesk
Jan 26, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:

You're supposed to kill the battery completely and then charge it to full to get the best life out of your battery.
I don't think you have to do that. I'm fairly certain that is only for Nickel-Cadmium rechargeable batteries (and maybe Nickel-MetalHydride batteries.), but not lithium ion batteries in iPods and PowerBooks.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2005, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
I don't think you have to do that. I'm fairly certain that is only for Nickel-Cadmium rechargeable batteries (and maybe Nickel-MetalHydride batteries.), but not lithium ion batteries in iPods and PowerBooks.

You should charge your ipod when it is not in use. My original 5gb ipod still got 7 hours battery life after 2 1/2 years and i charge it every other day.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 07:04 AM

My 20Gb 3G iPod is now down to 1.5h of battery life after 1 year and 2 months.
I charge it every other day, no backlight and I use it for 45min on my way to work, let it sleep for 8h and use it again for 45min on my way back home - it's dead the next day!!

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2005, 08:58 AM

It' s only 3 months old. I've recently done a full charge as described above and I'm keeping an eye on how it performs. It isn't a huge problem, but I don't think the battery life matches the claims. And I find the backlight essential in most conditions, although I only use the 3 second option.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2005, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
My 20Gb 3G iPod is now down to 1.5h of battery life after 1 year and 2 months.
I charge it every other day, no backlight and I use it for 45min on my way to work, let it sleep for 8h and use it again for 45min on my way back home - it's dead the next day!!
if you only use your ipod for 90 mins every day and the battery dies after just one year, there must be something wrong. And the symptom shouldn't happened just two months after the initial warranty period.

You should send your ipod back to apple while it was still under the 1 year warranty.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
There's no formal "memory" problem like you used to get with the Ni-MetalHydride batteries; BUT it has definitely been my experience that if you do the full charge/full discharge thing regularly (especially when brand-new) you wind up getting better battery life in the long run.

And it's really not that hard to do; the worst that can happen is you'll have to commute one way with a dead battery (which it sounds like may be a problem currently anyway).
cpac

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 11:23 AM

I use my iPod everyday sometimes just on my 45 minute drive each way to and from work. Sometimes more. I run it while at work and just let it run the whole day with no changing of tracks. I also find that letting it run down every so often allows for optimal batter life.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2005, 07:23 PM

Right. It's just run down. I reckon I've got through two and a half albums, so lets say about 2.5 hours. This seems rather dissapointing.

iMacfan
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by drissa:
Right. It's just run down. I reckon I've got through two and a half albums, so lets say about 2.5 hours. This seems rather dissapointing.
If you're anywhere near London, take it to the Oxford St Applestore - I think that'll be the easiest way of getting it sorted out. Apple's phone support in my experience is like playing russian roulette with 5/6 barrels loaded.

David

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2005, 11:02 PM

I'm sure apple will replace your ipod if it doesn't last five hours within the first year.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
I'm sure apple will replace your ipod if it doesn't last five hours within the first year.
I doubt that. I just replaced the battery on my 3G 15GB. The battery was from Newer tech. and cost $25 at OWC. Took 5 mins to install - really easy and the iPod snaps right back together like new. Now I get 10 hours on avg.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I doubt that. I just replaced the battery on my 3G 15GB. The battery was from Newer tech. and cost $25 at OWC. Took 5 mins to install - really easy and the iPod snaps right back together like new. Now I get 10 hours on avg.
It's true that apple will replace it if it doesn't have at least 5 hours of battery life. Some people just don't bother to send back their ipod in when it is still under warranty.

Basically apple just give you a refurbished one instead. Of course if yours is out of warranty and you are out of luck unless you have apple care.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 09:25 PM

The replacement batteries have more juice anyways, and they're cheaper than AppleCare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules