Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Mac has stopped reading blank CDs...

My Mac has stopped reading blank CDs...
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 01:16 PM

Hi

My machine is recognising commercial CDs and CD-Rs with data on, but not blank CDs. I can't hear the disk spinning and it doesn't mount. I've tried a couple of different brands. When I restart with a blank CD in, my machine tries to book from it and then, of course, tells me it can't find a bootable volume.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks
Ben

800Mhz Quicksilver, 10.3.7

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 01:24 PM

Disk utility tells me the discs are locked and not writable. Not sure how/why, etc.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2005, 03:20 PM

Did this happen after you updated to 10.3.7? If so, repair permissions. It may not fix it, but it's cheap and easy to do.

Sometimes after an OS update, new files are left with incorrect permissions. If the required driver for burning blank media has the wrong permissions, OSX may be unable to load that driver. No driver, no blank-media functionality.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 04:06 PM

Is this an original Apple-shipped optical drive?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 04:23 PM

Thanks. Yes, it's the original drive. I've been reading lots of stuff about this on the web. It seems there are lots of others with similiar issues, having updated to 10.3.7

I've repaired permissions with no joy. There are one or two suggested fixes, one of which requires locating a file I don't actually have in my library.

There are various threads on the macosxhints forums. Do I just wait for some offical fix?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by drissa:
Thanks. Yes, it's the original drive. I've been reading lots of stuff about this on the web. It seems there are lots of others with similiar issues, having updated to 10.3.7

I've repaired permissions with no joy. There are one or two suggested fixes, one of which requires locating a file I don't actually have in my library.

There are various threads on the macosxhints forums. Do I just wait for some offical fix?
Waiting for some official fix would require that the software and hardware on your machine be perfect. Experience tells me this probably isn't the case. Just from straight up statistics from my time on the bench, this is probably your optical drive going out. There is the possibility that this is software related, though. If you have another install of OS X that you can boot from to diagnose, do that (like another hard drive or Mac in target disk mode).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 11:28 AM

Thanks folks.

I seem to have found a fix - simply choosing 'open finder' under the blank CD options in Preferences. This isnt actually launching a finder window, which suggests that my machine is still not fully recognising the media, but opening one manually shows the CD listed with my drives (which it didn't before since this update).

Forum Links
Forum Rules