Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best hard-drive solutions for video on MP?

Best hard-drive solutions for video on MP?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2012, 08:33 AM

I currently have a second drive in my Mac Pro for video files. This is full and I feel it's time for a better solution. I've been investigating software RAID - possibly RAID 10. I understand this doesn't provide back-up, but I'm interested in drive redundancy, speed benefits, etc.

I don't need 100% peace of mind - eg. off-site backups.

I'd be keen to hear what kind of storage/back-up arrangements other video editors are using. I transcode 264 to Pro Res.

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2012, 12:23 PM

An internal 4 drive RAID10 array would be good. I'd recommend a real RAID card instead of Apple's software RAID. Shove an SSD in the 2nd optical bay for boot.

For backup you'll need some sort of external array.

What's your budget and storage requirement?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 19, 2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by drissa View Post
I currently have a second drive in my Mac Pro for video files. This is full and I feel it's time for a better solution. I've been investigating software RAID - possibly RAID 10. I understand this doesn't provide back-up, but I'm interested in drive redundancy, speed benefits, etc.

I don't need 100% peace of mind - eg. off-site backups.
[Note: below comments are addressed at a single-user single-MP operation, 4-5 internal drives and video/still images work; specifically not at large arrays, large DBs, financial operations, etc.]

Anything with RAID1 in it is hugely inefficient just to gain real-time redundancy when a drive fails. What are your real needs? If you do not really need real-time redundancy RAID0 is twice as efficient (but with concurrent higher risk of array failure). Workflow failures are common in images work (my guess would be >100x more common than unexpected drive failures), and when a workflow fails (e.g. corrupted file, application or OS) RAID1 mirror solutions like RAID10 instantly replicate the failure across the array. For images work IMO it is far better to implement non-real-time backup routines that occur at times when we reasonably believe that what we are backing up is uncorrupted.

If for instance the original video files exist elsewhere and the array is just part of the workflow most times a proper backup strategy can be created that cost-effectively covers the case of catastrophic drive failure.

Drive fullness is an important characteristic of HDD throughput, so IMO design drive capacities around running performance operations at 50% full. In my pre-SSD MP bay1 was OS/apps, bays 2/3 working image files RAID0 <50% full, bay 4 on site backup 85% full. I used Apple's software RAID and it worked fine, but a (pricey) hardware RAID controller would have been much better.

Today I cannot imagine a workflow without SSD; the impact of SSD on operations where latency is significant is beyond stunning. I suggest looking carefully at the workflow and see where SSD may be beneficial and plan accordingly. In my case for instance the image files are stored on external HDDs but the working Library that references the HDDs lives on SSD; it depends on the workflow. Certainly like mduell said, as a minimum stick an SSD in the 2nd optical drive bay for boot and apps.

In any event, IMO in single-user images work real-time redundancy like RAID10 is usually an inappropriate waste of drive bays and drives.

HTH

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; May 19, 2012 at 04:26 PM. )

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2012, 08:02 PM

Many thanks for the replies. Budget is fairly flexible. My real needs are a video drive fast enough for a FCP X/Pro Res workflow, then some kind of back-up solution. I'm taking video work seriously, but it isn't hugely critical (read: 'no paying customers yet'...).

A standard 7200rpm SATA drive seems to be fine, but if there are cost-effective speed improvements to be found with something else (this was the RAID idea), I'm keen to hear.

Would it be worth looking at a SSD as a 'current project' working drive (I tend to work on short films with <50GB of files)? Will certainly investigate one as a boot drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules