Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rock stars more likely to die prematurely

Rock stars more likely to die prematurely
abe
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 05:51 PM

Rock stars more likely to die prematurely
Tue Sep 4, 2007 9:40AM EDT

By Tim Castle

LONDON (Reuters) - Rock stars -- notorious for their "crash and burn" lifestyles -- really are more likely than other people to die before reaching old age.

A study of more than 1,000 mainly British and North American artists, spanning the era from Elvis Presley to rapper Eminem, found they were two to three times more likely to suffer a premature death than the general population.

Between 1956 and 2005 there were 100 deaths among the 1,064 musicians examined by researchers at the Centre for Public Health at Liverpool John Moores University.

As well as Presley, the toll of those dying before their time included Doors singer Jim Morrison, guitar hero Jimi Hendrix, T Rex star Marc Bolan and Nirvana's Kurt Cobain.

More than a quarter of all the deaths were related to drugs or alcohol abuse, said the study in the Journal of Epidemial Community Health.
More?

Rock stars more likely to die prematurely | Health | Reuters

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I'm pretty sure that everybody who's tried pot has tried alcohol before that. And everybody who's tried alcohol has done caffiene before that. So technically, caffiene is the gateway drug. As for ' only losers smoke pot'.... well, I guess the creator of the west wing, Arnold, Art Garfunkel, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Ben Franklin, Bill Gates, Bill Murray, Bing Crosby, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Burt Reynolds, Bruce Lee, Cab Calloway, Carl Sagan, Carlos Santana, Carrie Fischer, Charlie Sheen, Charlize Theron, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, Conon O'Brian, David Hockeny, Diego Rivera, Drew Barrymore, Duke Ellington, Francis Ford Coppella, Nietzche, George Washington, the Grateful Dead, Harrison Ford, Howard Stern, Hunter S Thompson (duh), Jack Kerouac, Jack Nicholson, James Brown, Janis Joplin, Jennifer Aniston, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendrix, John Belushi, JFK, Johnny Cash, John Wayne, Julia Roberts, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Ken Kesey, Kurt Cobain, Led Zeppelin, Lewis Carroll, Louis Armstrong, , etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc are all total losers.

Everybody on here is a loser too:

VIP

In fact, I think you should pretty much burn your entire music collection, since basically every musician digs pot.
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...t/#post3380097

And in light of these findings every musician should re-examine their consumption of drugs and alcohol.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 05:53 PM

Holy crap! I never saw that coming! My whole world view has been turned on its head!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Holy crap! I never saw that coming! My whole world view has been turned on its head!
I'm happy to have expanded your horizons and broadened your vistas.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks. I'm still a little light-headed from the shock. Damn near blew my ticker there.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 06:34 PM

Wow, those poor musicians... Something really should be done to protect all the innocent rock stars out there from this horrible, unanticipated fate.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Thanks. I'm still a little light-headed from the shock. Damn near blew my ticker there.
I'm sorry. If you continue feeling light headed call this guy.

YTMND - Henry Gets a Mac

Henry Orbit
(The Jetsons ever reliable sky pad apartment's repair man)

"Now you see Mr Jetson , this is my new ultra-sonic interstellar home-security alarm system which has been designed by my robot Mac(k) to decapitate any space invader whenever they attempt to enter through this doorway,…….. like so…….."
Henry Orbit
Henry Orbit and his robot Mac(k)

The sky pad appartment's repair man. Always helpful and always in a good mood. His robot Mac(k) fell in love with Rosie and married her. Henry services the building, cleans cars and looks after the garage. Always good for a quick word of advice to George just before leaving the car park.

The Family
( Last edited by abe; Sep 6, 2007 at 05:09 PM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 08:13 PM

I wonder if any of these researchers at Liverpool John Moores University are good buddies with the researchers from that similarly groundbreaking study at Indiana University.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2007, 09:03 PM

In other news: water is wet, sky is blue, dogs are loyal, cats are aloof ...

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 09:34 PM

We all know the numbers are skewed by Keith Richards anyway.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 09:39 PM

What does rockstars OD'ing have to do with a post about weed made by Ca$h?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 09:48 PM

It's somewhat amusing to have one controversial poster quoting another to start the topic. Double so because ca$h is currently banned.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 10:15 PM

Ca$h is never banned, he is simply an anomaly in the equation of the NN server. He will come again and save Zion...err I mean the Lounge

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 10:20 PM

Dude, if ca$h is anyone, it's Agent Smith. Always replicating into another account, hunted by the system (Admins).

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What does rockstars OD'ing have to do with a post about weed made by Ca$h?
More than a quarter of all the deaths were related to drugs or alcohol abuse, said the study in the Journal of Epidemial Community Health.
How ironic is it that I'd be called on by you to point this out?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
It's somewhat amusing to have one controversial poster quoting another to start the topic. Double so because ca$h is currently banned.
I'm not as much controversial as I am misunderstood and persecuted.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 11:43 PM

Ca$h is never banned, he is simply an anomaly in the equation of the NN server. He will come again and save Zion...err I mean the Lounge
So that would make Ca$h a Zion...err I mean a Loungist?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
How ironic is it that I'd be called on by you to point this out?
There hasn't been a single reported death due to THC overdose, so my original statement stands.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 05:24 PM

There hasn't been a single reported death due to THC overdose, so my original statement stands.
That's a sign of 'potular brain saturation.' The afflicted person can't imagine anything beyond the obvious.

Even when he read it just a few days ago. Can we say, "short term memory loss?"

Making a wrong turn at this important crossroads in your life could have deadly consequences. In 2001, an estimated 38,000 high school seniors in the U.S. crashed after driving under the influence of marijuana and 46,000 crashed after driving under the influence of alcohol.
http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...asp&frame=true
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...e-best-buzz/3/

So will you ask your original statement to be seated?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 05:29 PM

Now you're talking about car crashes involving inexperienced drivers. Convenient that the leading cause of death for that age group is car accidents in general.

Tired teens crash. Inattentive teens crash. Stoned teens crash. Sober teens crash. Fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox crash.

Stop changing the subject and answer my original question.

What does a post that Ca$h made about marijuana have to do with rockstars dying of alchohol and drug overdoses?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2007, 05:32 PM

poor Doofy
we don't have time to stop for gas

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 05:38 PM

Now you're talking about car crashes involving inexperienced drivers. Convenient that the leading cause of death for that age group is car accidents in general.

Tired teens crash. Inattentive teens crash. Stoned teens crash. Sober teens crash. Fat kids, skinny kids, even kids with chicken pox crash.

Stop changing the subject and answer my original question.

What does a post that Ca$h made about marijuana have to do with rockstars dying of alchohol and drug overdoses?
I think someone is getting cranky. Does someone need a dube?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 08:28 PM

do you post anything other than one sentence and a two paragraphs from a new article?

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
In other news: water is wet, sky is blue, dogs are loyal, cats are aloof ...
This thread is like this thread. Research of the obvious. Well, it's good researchers stay employed I guess.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 12:04 AM

You are starting threads of the kind that you got banninated for from the PL.
Getting bored again, or are you out of meds ?

-t

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You are starting threads of the kind that you got banninated for from the PL.
Getting bored again, or are you out of meds ?

-t
Ah, so to avoid falsely accusing me and getting yourself in trouble you just bring up stuff hoping the mods will be impressed by the number of times when, in YOUR biased opinion, I'm doing something that justifies banning.

Well, not every one of my threads is as popular as the others, where you complain that they are too popular.

You've posted before that you'd rather I not have a voice here at all, so I guess we all know a vendetta/obsession when we see it.

Whenever I do start a thread you are always there to start a fight, that's called harassment and it is a bannable offense and I'll start reporting you for it if you do it again. Fair and last warning on that, by the way.

And finally, you are OFF TOPIC.

Stop trolling and derailing and harassing me and my threads.

Just crawl away and "Push it. Push it real good."

YouTube - Comcast Commercial - Slowsky "Push It!"

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
do you post anything other than one sentence and a two paragraphs from a new article?
What's it to you anyway, Mr. Two-Stars?

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 07:31 AM

The four and a half star sneeches are the best sneeches on the beaches!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
The four and a half star sneeches are the best sneeches on the beaches!
They should really release all those onto a DVD.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 7, 2007, 08:47 AM

To be honest abe, pot smoking and people being dead from drugs rarely have anything to do with each other.

I am betting that report on the teenage pot smoking death thing was skewed too. I am sure other drugs like alcohol where involved as well. Just because you were high when you were in an accident means that that accident was caused BY pot.

I've been in accidents before while being high, and it's been the other person's fault.

Pot smokers usually drive SLOWER and are more PARANOID (Defensive) than the average driver.

Though I could see how really STRONG pot could impair the driving of someone that is already inexperienced in driving. Hell a aspirin probably could as well.

And I am certainly not pro-pot. While not always, pot tends to make potheads out of people. And they can't do anything, or have any fun unless their is weed involved after the pothead stage starts.

I think also if sek was honest too, he'd agree that there are people that shouldn't smoke pot because it becomes their whole reason to live. If you've smoked pot for any length of time, you've come to know these people.

So I kinda disagree with you both

Forum Links
Forum Rules