Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help with opening an AppleWorks document

Help with opening an AppleWorks document
Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 23, 2007, 12:09 PM

I have numerous AppleWorks documents from way back in the day. . . Prior to installing Leopard I was able to open them with either Pages or Word. Now that I've installed Leopard, I am unable to open any of them. This is a major pain because I frequently need to refer to them. Is this something else that is broken in Leopard? Does anyone have a work around?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 12:03 PM

Well, I must say that's useful to know before I install Leopard, as I have thousands of AppelWorks documents. (I still use AW, believe it or not.)

This would be a major pain, but can you translate them all, using an older computer? DId anyone on the Apple forums have anything useful for you? That could be another good source of help.

Cold Warrior
Nov 25, 2007, 12:12 PM

I guess worst-case workaround would be to install 10.4 on an external drive, boot from it, and use Pages or Word to do it, or copy your appleworks files to a Mac still using those apps running on 10.4

You could also see if the Office 08 beta can do it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 12:27 PM

How are you trying to open them?

Have you tried opening them from within the AppleWorks Open... dialog, or dragging them onto the AppleWorks icon?

Do they have the .cwk extension, or no extension? If not, try adding it.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Buck_W View Post
I have numerous AppleWorks documents from way back in the day. . . Prior to installing Leopard I was able to open them with either Pages or Word. Now that I've installed Leopard, I am unable to open any of them. This is a major pain because I frequently need to refer to them. Is this something else that is broken in Leopard? Does anyone have a work around?

They will need to be saved as AppleWorks v*6* documents.
Pages, etc., will not open AppleWorks 5, 4, 3, 2, Claris, etc.

[may be new standards for iWork '08, but that's how it is]
-HI-

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Nov 25, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
How are you trying to open them?

Have you tried opening them from within the AppleWorks Open... dialog, or dragging them onto the AppleWorks icon?

Do they have the .cwk extension, or no extension? If not, try adding it.
I didn't think about trying to install AppleWorks. (I think I still may have a copy laying around some place.) Will it install/run in Leopard? It's been so long since I've had AppleWorks on any of my Macs. . . doesn't it require the Classic environment?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2007, 03:35 PM

No.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 03:48 PM

Yes, it should run.

No, it doesn't require Classic.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
Well, I must say that's useful to know before I install Leopard, as I have thousands of AppelWorks documents. (I still use AW, believe it or not.)

This would be a major pain, but can you translate them all, using an older computer? DId anyone on the Apple forums have anything useful for you? That could be another good source of help.
AppleWorks to the rescue! I just installed it and all of my "prehistoric" AW documents now open right up. What a relief!

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 08:49 PM

Just so you know, there's an update for AppleWorks on Apple's site. It makes it a bit more Mac OS X-friendly (and the scroll wheel doesn't jump 20 feet if you go down one click!).

Apple - Support - Downloads - AppleWorks 6.2.9 for Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules