Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS Rumors is laughable!

Mac OS Rumors is laughable!
Jan Van Boghout
Dec 23, 2002, 05:00 AM

One interesting change in 10.2.3 is that the otherwise standard Apple iApp brushed-metal OS X interface is altered in iChat, so that the three window buttons (Red-Close/Yellow-Minimize/Green-Resize) are inset, instead of set atop the window as in all other OS X interfaces. This has given rise to numerous rumors....and they are well-founded.

Some of our most loyal readers who have been with us since the early days will recognize the phrase that goes with this kind of rumormongering....many Bothans died to bring us this information. Treat it accordingly.

We might not see it as soon as January, but before long we can expect a lot more use of this interface style - assuming feedback to Apple isn't too negative. It will most prominently be featured on Apple's 2003 Digital Lifestyle Devices which will be very much designed to look and feel like OS X....and OS X will be moulded to look and feel like them. We will see the three-button, three-color control scheme on Apple hardware before too long...and it will probably even be in the upper left corner of such devices -- just as in OS X windows.
OMG, can it get any worse? Imagine a device with the three different colored buttons in its upper left

(But what if it were true? )

Jan Van Boghout  (op)
Dec 23, 2002, 05:01 AM

Hmm. I'd swear I posted this in the Lounge

:XI:
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 05:13 AM

heh.

"THEY CHANGED THE INTERFACE!!! THAT MEANS NEW HARDWARE!!!"

can we say 'clutching at straws'?

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2002, 05:43 AM

Can I minimize an iPod by pressing the yellow button?

What if I'm not near a dock, will it go to the nearest? Or has Apple finally implemented Minimize In Place?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2002, 08:04 AM

It's Apple thinking different: from now on monitors and laptops will come in one size, and you press the green button on the top left for the screen to fit to the size of the window in it

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 10:23 AM

Meader's idiocy know no limits. He doesn't seem to grasp the stupendously obvious fact that the Textured window widgets were altered at the OS level; it affects *all* Textured apps (except the hardcoded ones), not just iChat.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 23, 2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
Meader's idiocy know no limits. He doesn't seem to grasp the stupendously obvious fact that the Textured window widgets were altered at the OS level; it affects *all* Textured apps (except the hardcoded ones), not just iChat.
Ryan Meader isn't involved with MacOSRumors.com anymore, and hasn't been for some time.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Ryan Meader isn't involved with MacOSRumors.com anymore, and hasn't been for some time.
Yup. As is evident by the bare-bones ridiculousness of the post-Meader site.

Not that it was a paragon of journalistic integrity while he ran the ship... it was always rather self-promoting and sketchy. But it did used to have the occasional inside scoop.

The current MOSR seems to be playing its own version of rumors limbo.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2002, 11:11 AM

Well, it seems Apple-X.net is trying to compete with MOSR as the most laughable rumors site. A couple examples are:

Rumors - Apple Xserve RAID (With Images!) - Thursday, October 10, 2002

The image above is an Apple made rackmount RAID for the Xserve. Currently, Apple has no such mention of it or is selling them. A release date is unknown.
--Trent
Apparently, these kids were unaware that Apple publicly announced and showed this with the release of the Xserve in May.

Rumors - What about the G5? - Thursday, December 19, 2002

Others are hoping that IBM�s Power 4 will fit the bill as the next Mac processor.
No, Mac users are waiting for the PowerPC 970, not the Power 4.

Vandelay Industries

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2002, 02:14 PM

Yeah, but I'd bet he's still a liar and/or dope.

But, anyway, I think this rumor may have a grain of truth to it. There's a yellow button on my TV, and when I press it, it slides under the carpet.

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 02:30 PM

He isn't? Since when? This is the first I've heard of this.

What's the scoop? Who's running the show now?

Not that I ever took anything on the site seriously but I usually make it a point to insult Meader when mentioning MOSR's latest foolishness.

That would now be inaccurate and uncalled for, so who do I now roast?

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 02:48 PM

Well whoever it is clearly didn't finish high school, as the writing, research and reporting is atrocious.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 03:28 PM

Well it still sounds like Meader. Today he even used that old stupid line he use to say back in the day "many bothins died to bring us this information". Pffff, you loser.

So is it his younger nerdier brother running the site now from his Lime Green iMac?

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 03:41 PM

Why don't you wait to see if they are right before you criticize them? They have been right many times before.

JB72
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by DoctorW:
But, anyway, I think this rumor may have a grain of truth to it. There's a yellow button on my TV, and when I press it, it slides under the carpet.
That made me lol.

I'm glad you guys are tripping on this latest MOSR speculation as much as I am. I read it this morning and questioned my sanity.

As far as why Apple actually did what it did to the buttons in metal apps, I can only guess that maybe they are possibly expirimenting with user configurable skins? Yes I am nuts.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
Why don't you wait to see if they are right before you criticize them? They have been right many times before.
MOSR has been right on a few lucky shots, but mostly on obvious deductions ("Insiders point to the possibility that in the near future sometime next year or sooner or maybe later Apple will introduce speed-bumped towers, our sources tell us!"); even with that, there's plenty of other reasons to give them crap

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 04:57 PM

I think everyone hates that place because of Ryans style of writing.

He always makes it sound like they personally saw the prototypes floating around campus or even that one time they claimed Apple set up a secure video link with them to demonstrate future products. Ack! Did he ever think anyone would take him seriously?

Also he makes MOSR sound like it has its own skyscraper and multiple offices across the country.

Please.

diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
Actually, they haven't.

Go to Think Secret if you want damn accurate info. They goof every so often (insisting no SuperDrive in the TiBook, for instance), but by and large, they get their stuff right.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
Can I minimize an iPod by pressing the yellow button?
Does your iPod have a yellow button?

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2002, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:

Does your iPod have a yellow button?
I was talking about my future iPod which (according to MOSR) will have the three colored buttons
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 05:23 PM

I would have to say that SpyMac is just as bad.

Moose
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:
Well it still sounds like Meader. Today he even used that old stupid line he use to say back in the day "many bothins died to bring us this information". Pffff, you loser.

So is it his younger nerdier brother running the site now from his Lime Green iMac?
Fortunately, Meader has no younger brother. Last I knew (and this was about three years ago, so who knows since then), he was living in a cabin on Merrymeeting Lake in New Hampshire, having ****ed up BLM's finances enough so as to be unable to pay rent.

Oh, the stories I could tell....

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 05:44 PM

I'd have to say it's marginally worse.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 24, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Moose:

Oh, the stories I could tell....
Well dish!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 10:11 PM

Do we have to use the 3-colored look on our hardware? Will there be an option to switch it all to a Graphite appearance to make it look more "pro"?
Also, what about the Toolbar toggling widget in the upper right corner? Will that make some part of the hardware disappear or something?

Jeez... I can't believe that MOSR is still around...

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2002, 10:14 PM

no matter how crappy they are. u still need a good laugh once in a while.....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 04:08 AM

But at least it's prettier.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 03:15 PM

Crap! I pushed the green Maximize button on my new iPic camera, and it filled up my whole damn living room, trapping two members of my family on the couch. The Fire Department had to use the Jaws of Life to cut a hole in the roof so they could get to the stinking yellow Minimise button!

What the hell was Apple thinking!?!

I just pushed the red Close button and made the thing go away entirely.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 03:44 PM

chris v, that is the ugliest sig pict I have ever seen!

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Sorry I haven't upheld your impeccable graphical standards. As a coffee addict, perhaps I'm unable to objectively judge the asthetics of a picture of coffee beans. They're all beautiful to me.

I stole the color scheme from an Acoma pot I bought in Santa Fe last year, but I suppose a buncha injuns have no idea about color.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
There. I hope you're happy. Oh, merry xmas.

CV

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 06:52 PM

Hey, you put that aproval next to your sig before I actually aproved. I could sue for that you know.

At any rate, I aprove now.

p.s. If you really wanted to go hog wild you could put a 1 pixel border around it.

JeremyS
Senior User
Dec 26, 2002, 05:52 PM

Check out my thread on this, it could have some merit if you think of it like this...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=137626

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
Check out my thread on this, it could have some merit if you think of it like this...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=137626
This shows that their are enough gullible people in this world to keep MOSR in business.

mrl14
Dec 27, 2002, 06:52 AM

Not sure where you get your information from but Meader is the only one running the show now. His lame antics continue as well.

"Oh please send us money via paypal, so I can send you my ideas before I post them on the web site"

I have no respect for the people who fall for his cr*p. I can predict more accurate rumours than he can with my eyes closed and hands behind my back.

Why do people even advertise on his site? Sad world we live in.
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 11:30 PM

I was curious, so I looked into it, and macosrumors.com is sitll registered to Meader:

Code:
[dshaw@discount ~/] whois -h whois.networksolutions.com MACOSRUMORS.COM Registrant: Mac OS Rumors (MACOSRUMORS2-DOM) null City NH,04101 US Domain Name: MACOSRUMORS.COM Administrative Contact, Technical Contact: Meader, Ryan (RM9912) [email protected] Black Light Media 595 Forest Avenue Suite 1 Portland,, ME 04101 (207) 773-1377 (FAX) (207) 773-1377 Record expires on 16-Jul-2003. Record created on 15-Jul-1997. Database last updated on 27-Dec-2002 22:26:29 EST. Domain servers in listed order: LAME40089.LAME-DELEGATION.ORG 199.105.116.90 LAME40090.LAME-DELEGATION.ORG 199.105.116.91
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Moose
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I was curious, so I looked into it, and macosrumors.com is sitll registered to Meader:

Code:
[dshaw@discount ~/] whois -h whois.networksolutions.com MACOSRUMORS.COM Registrant: Mac OS Rumors (MACOSRUMORS2-DOM) null City NH,04101 US Domain Name: MACOSRUMORS.COM Administrative Contact, Technical Contact: Meader, Ryan (RM9912) [email protected] Black Light Media 595 Forest Avenue Suite 1 Portland,, ME 04101 (207) 773-1377 (FAX) (207) 773-1377 Record expires on 16-Jul-2003. Record created on 15-Jul-1997. Database last updated on 27-Dec-2002 22:26:29 EST. Domain servers in listed order: LAME40089.LAME-DELEGATION.ORG 199.105.116.90 LAME40090.LAME-DELEGATION.ORG 199.105.116.91
595 Forest Avenue "Suite 1" is the downstairs apartment of a two-story apartment house next to a bagel shop in downtown Portland, ME. Ryan moved out of there sometime in 2000, if memory serves. You'll notice that "NH" is now in the organization's address. That's the state to which he moved.

[email protected] hasn't been his e-mail address for quite some time, either. Same goes for the phone number.

A page that is no longer linked provides some insight as to what's going on now: http://www.macosrumors.com/?view=contact. Should they deign to take it down, Google was nice enough to cache it: http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache...%3Dcontact</a>

This change of management was likely because Ryan's "inside" primary sources had almost completely dried up by mid-1999, when I terminated all contact with him.

I cannot speak to the competence of whoever's running the show now, but I have witnessed Ryan turn off-handed comments I (and others) made to him into updates for MOSR. For example, somebody would say, "Wouldn't it be neat if Apple ...." and, that afternoon, we would read MOSR to discover that Apple was working on that! How odd!

After Ryan somehow managed to shoot himself in the foot by losing Slashdot as a partner site, BLM as an advertising company pretty much died. They attempted to "merge" with another local dotcom of sorts that consisted of a trio of similarly-minded "youths," but Meader found a way to make that turn sour, too. That's when he decided to pack up shop and head for his family's summer camp in New Hampshire for some rent-free living.

As to what he's currently doing now, I do not know, nor do I particularly care. I have found closure to my time at BLM, and have managed to grow from the experience, and profit from the connections I made while there.

Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2002, 01:37 PM

What connection did you have with BLM then, Moose? I don't see why I should believe some random bloke on a forum more than a guy who's maintained a decent enough free site for years.

What is all that crap about his apartment? I don't know the guy but I take offense at this. Am I supposed to be wary of him because he lives in an downstairs apartment? His site's there for anyone to visit, so what am I supposed to learn by visiting his house?

The anonymity of an email address can be misused, but in some cases it's a great leveller - whether this guy has a lot of cash, whether he's middle class or working class, whether he lives on the nice side of town, is irrelevent because anyone can contribute information and anyone can read the site. If you've got something concrete to say, tell us the story or pi'ss off.

I've never paid for MacOSRumors, it's entertaining enough, and it's been right about a few things - most memorably the Flower Power iMac, a rumour you couldn't just make up. Looking on there right now, I can see him sharing some emails he's received. Nowt wrong with that.

Chris
( Last edited by clebin; Dec 28, 2002 at 02:02 PM. )

Moose
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
What connection did you have with BLM then, Moose? I don't see why I should believe some random bloke on a forum more than a guy who's maintained a decent enough free site for years.
Inserted ads on the rotation on parter sites, systems administration, etc. And, as I said before, he doesn't maintain the site anymore. Like LeVar Burton, I'm not asking you to take my word for it.

What is all that crap about his apartment? I don't know the guy but I take offense at this. Am I supposed to be wary of him because he lives in an downstairs apartment? His site's there for anyone to visit, so what am I supposed to learn by visiting his house?
It's supposed to show you how much of a pretentious asshead he is. The term "Suite" is typically used either to refer to an actual office suite in an office building, or by people who desperately want people to think that they don't work out of their homes. It was also intended to lend some credibility to my statements, being information that "random blokes" wouldn't be likely to have.

The anonymity of an email address can be misused, but in some cases it's a great leveller - whether this guy has a lot of cash, whether he's middle class or working class, whether he lives on the nice side of town, is irrelevent because anyone can contribute information and anyone can read the site. If you've got something concrete to say, tell us the story or pi'ss off.
I've already made concrete statements. Should the opportunity arise to make more concrete statements to correct the record distorted by MOSR/Meader fanboys, I will make them at that time.

I've never paid for MacOSRumors, it's entertaining enough, and it's been right about a few things - most memorably the Flower Power iMac, a rumour you couldn't just make up. Looking on there right now, I can see him sharing some emails he's received. Nowt wrong with that.
For each Flower Power iMac, he's had more than his fair share of iBook crank-chargers, handhelds (repeatedly), LCD iMac Mock-ups, etc. What most people object to, though, is the recycling of other sites' rumors with and without proper attribution, complete fabrication of "rumors," and the manner in which the site's authors patronizingly lecture to their readers, and then, in the next breath, beg for donations. It's sad, really. For their sakes, I really hope that MOSR isn't their primary source of income.

At one time, I drank thirstily from the pitcher of Kool-Aid, and even mixed up a few batches. It wasn't until I moved away (physically) from Portland that I finally and fully saw Meader for what he was. I find it hard to believe that the site's new management would be very far removed from his sort of personality.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 05:00 PM

I remember when someone posted all sorts of picts of him and his phat girlfriend. It was hi-larious!

Ryan looks just like I pictured him. Pale, white trash little geek with a goatee.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2002, 05:47 PM

Remember the "palmshaped" new mouse Apple was alledgedly designing

OH man!!

I'm gonna try and find a pic... (it may have been appleinsider that had the honours of *that* scoop)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2002, 05:52 PM

Yup, it was appleinsider. A three button mouse, and this was in 2000. Can't find a pic. Skywalker?

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
At one time, I drank thirstily from the pitcher of Kool-Aid, and even mixed up a few batches. It wasn't until I moved away (physically) from Portland that I finally and fully saw Meader for what he was. I find it hard to believe that the site's new management would be very far removed from his sort of personality.
Yikes. That scares me on a very personal level... I spent most of my Mac-using life up until the present in and around Portland. I even know the bagel shop you're talking about on Forest Ave. Somehow I managed never to get mixed up in any of it...
I like your metaphor, by the way. Kool-Aid indeed...

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Yup, it was appleinsider. A three button mouse, and this was in 2000. Can't find a pic. Skywalker?
You mean this thing?

" New Apple Mouse May Support Multiple Button Actions
By AppleInsider Staff ([email protected] ￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿ -at- ￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿￿.￿￿￿)

As Macworld New York slowly approaches, sources have begun to reveal addition rumors on Apple's newly designed Optical USB mouse -- specifically those pertaining to its behavior.

According to sources, the new mouse currently has the ability to support up to 3 mouse actions, and possibly more. These mouse actions produce the same results as second and third buttons on multi-button mice, sources said, but without the physical presence and clutter of three individual buttons."

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2002, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by JLL:

What if I'm not near a dock, will it go to the nearest? Or has Apple finally implemented Minimize In Place?
That really is freaking hilarious.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 07:27 PM

In Retrospect aside from the obviously false rendering's most of the info they had on that Macworld was dead on. A mouse with no apparent buttons, we got the stapler/pro mouse. There was a Cube story as well the render looked like a cube shaped tower, but the spec's where about right.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
You mean this thing?
multi-button mice, sources said, but without the physical presence and clutter of three individual buttons."

Yep! That's the one.

You're pretty good at that.

That was one craptaculer speculation from appleinsider.... the best thing was that they plastered their name ALL over the pics.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Yep! That's the one.

You're pretty good at that.

That was one craptaculer speculation from appleinsider.... the best thing was that they plastered their name ALL over the pics.
Ya I love that also. There were probibly thinging that once the sucker came out they wanted credit for spilling the beans.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2002, 03:23 AM

I wonder if third party products will also support these magic three top buttons... although I'd be mighty scared if I accidently hit the red x and my cammera disappeared..... you could go through a lota money that way.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 29, 2002, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
In Retrospect aside from the obviously false rendering's most of the info they had on that Macworld was dead on. A mouse with no apparent buttons, we got the stapler/pro mouse.
Not really since the whole point was that it was going to be a 3 button mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules