Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > feedback on brochure

feedback on brochure
mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2007, 10:24 PM

so I would like feedback on a brochure before i send it off to print. I am more of a web developer/programmer so I would like to know from trained graphic artists if I am breaking any rules of design. i just want it to work for the client.

its a tri-fold 12x9.

http://www.raft-kayak.com/pdf/brochure_outside.pdf
http://www.raft-kayak.com/pdf/brochure_inside.pdf

many thanks.

ps. it was done in illustrator if that matters.
( Last edited by mania; Jan 13, 2007 at 10:32 PM. )
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2007, 10:51 PM

I like it! I didn't know what to expect but it has almost a retro bold feeling to it, like something you would grab from one of those racks in the lobby of a hotel or library back in 1984. It's colorful, information is grouped well, it has logical 'headers' that inform of the detail blocks below them, and it has big pictures. And lots of yellow, which I like.

I totally approve. Not like that matters, but it totally works.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 10:59 PM

Some rules were broken , but whatever works.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 03:37 PM

This is what came to mind first.

No offense meant, it's just damn busy.

mania  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2007, 03:49 PM

No offense taken - I asked for feedback...

how does one convey essential information without making it too busy? any examples?
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 04:02 PM

You obviously need to get ten pounds into a five-pound bag. There are an infinite number of ways of doing this.

Treading lightly...

I would work on the heirarchy of information. I would consolidate where possible and use a family of typefaces to communicate the primary copy -- currently you're using one bold face for most of the info. For example, you could use a bold face from a family for the subheads and book / roman / light / etc. foe the supporting copy. This would help to create buckets of info that can be scanned quickly and easily. You've attempted this but, IMHO, could take it further.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 04:02 PM

BTW, Bitcastle is an effing cool name.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 05:26 PM

Everything looks a bit flat and the colours to typical. Try adding more detail and some gradients.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 05:35 PM

I'd tend to agree with art director. I like white space. I also don't like blue and yellow, but that's just me.

However, I'd have more issues with the copy...get a good copy writer and your job will be much easier.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2007, 07:32 PM

the yellow is a bit eye-painful, but if it's meant to stand out in a rack of brochures (think rest area/tourist info stop) then I guess there's justification for that. The outside does better with being consistent/not busy, the only major thing I'd change is maybe bumping up the Durango, CO a point or two and not using Brush Script. I like how you've nested it in the sky area, it shouldn't bump the mountains. The rafter's names in the left column impinge on the body copy area, I know it would be hard to cram them beneath the circles without making the pix into thumbprints, but maybe some other (vertical!?!) treatment would work better and not seem so cramped.

On the inside you've introduced some new fonts that don't seem to go with anything (like AD said, pick a family or two of fonts and stick with them) and things don't line up as well, creating an unclear column. For the difference in alignment, you may as well enlarge the photos to match the text margin, or vice versa.

The circle with the raft on this side pulls attention away from a really nice photo and pullquote (the train) so if you can't find a better place for it maybe you don't need it. Also your design credit should go someplace more inobtrusive. (center panel outside below address?)

looks good though!

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Feb 15, 2007, 01:25 PM

It's a brochure, does the job, rules were broken, oh well.

INHO Graphic Design is about the solving of problems, be them visual or not, you are the mediator between the problem/brief and the solution/outcome, the client has a budget, a starting point, some (normally) tired ideas of an outcome and that's about it.

The reason I'm babbling all this out is because I think the real issue with the brochure is the amount of content? Or perhaps it's that a brochure isn't really the best outcome? Or perhaps it's that the budget is too small condiering the aims, etc?

For truly the best outcomes, you have to get to the heart of the problem and then head off on an inspired journey. Unfortunately the industry often relies on subjective opinion, tight deadlines and grey brains holding the purse strings.

Anyways rant over, it's alright.

duoikari
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2007, 05:54 PM

well i do agree that it is a little bit busy and on the first picture the white box where the text was placed in wasn't straight or a lined with yellow banner arcoss the top.

But i think that if this brochure were folded up, so it has 3 panel then i think it might be ok.

Still very nice, i think you did a good job ^^

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 02:11 AM

A good designer will convince the client of the goals, outcome, help them widdle it down. If there is a reason and evidence, they client will trust.

Forum Links
Forum Rules