Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 100)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2018, 02:38 PM

One thing to consider is the power lines also need to be loaded for the generators to actually work. Unless there's something like tesseracts. Which as OP as they are were developed to reduce lag.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
I just would prefer to have a small group of chunks loaded and generating power for everyone to use than have each of us building and maintaining our own systems. (Part of this is because a lot of mods are now including chunk loading in their generators... as a server admin I don't like that but as a player I see the logic).
OK, I've given this some thought.

A chunk is 16 x 16 blocks, google tells me. So somewhere near spawn we should build a 16x16 building along chunk lines. 16 x 16 is a healthy size, and if we give each person/team one floor of a building to use that should meet their space needs. If people go solar, we can divide the roof into 4 giving each person 8x8 to cover in solar, which sounds like plenty to me.

Second, we should create a basement where, assuming we have extra utilities, people can place various mills. This means that their GP will be always loaded, even when dimension hopping.

For power transmission, each person group should be 'gifted' wireless transmission to their base, be it flux networks, rftools, or some other mod I'm unfamiliar with.

Now, here's the catch. At least in the early going, I think it's unrealistic to expect people to build their power plants in town. For one, depending on the type of generation, their power sources will likely need to be both monitored and fed. Ex: Any thermal dynamics power sources.

If we're really worried about server load in the early going we could have each person make sure to limit all their power generation (assuming they self-load) into a chunk at their base. Later in the game, if this becomes problematic, we can then relocate set-ups to town, as we'll be much more likely to be able to automate set-ups then.

Question: would any of the DireWolf modpacks be do-able?
Aesthetically, I find it a little daunting. I'll have to look at the mod list.

Technically, you'll have to tell me: I'm running an airbook, 1.7 Ghz core i7 with 8GB of RAM. Speaking of which, blaze taught me how to do it in Twitch, but I don't know how to allocate more memory in the vanilla launcher.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2018, 10:14 AM

Its in the JVM arguments.
Code:
-Xmx4096m -Xms256m -XX:PermSize=256m
this is for 4G just set the -Xmx to what you want. Don't do overboard it makes things worse.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 19, 2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
OK, I've given this some thought.

A chunk is 16 x 16 blocks, google tells me. So somewhere near spawn we should build a 16x16 building along chunk lines. 16 x 16 is a healthy size, and if we give each person/team one floor of a building to use that should meet their space needs. If people go solar, we can divide the roof into 4 giving each person 8x8 to cover in solar, which sounds like plenty to me.
Hmmmm... I'm beginning to see where you're coming from, and getting an idea of how complicated this is going to get. How about this idea: lag really seems to come into play as we get closer to "end-game" items in the tech tree. Nuclear reactors and the like. How about we keep things status quo for the early and mid game and have a location set aside for big end-game items? The only caveat being we keep our bases a reasonable distance from wherever we agree to setup the group base. Try to keep everyone with a 1km area?

Aesthetically, I find it a little daunting. I'll have to look at the mod list.

Technically, you'll have to tell me: I'm running an airbook, 1.7 Ghz core i7 with 8GB of RAM. Speaking of which, blaze taught me how to do it in Twitch, but I don't know how to allocate more memory in the vanilla launcher.
I'm running a AMD FX-6100 (3.3 Ghz) with 16 GB of RAM. Thing is, for how Minecraft works it's more about the memory than raw processor speed. I was running 8GB for a lot of years (had to up it because I needed to run some VMs). All that said, Direwolf's mod packs have the potential to be HEAVY, but it's mostly based on what you do with it. Take a look at what's in it here:

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Direwolf20_1.12

-cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2018, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Its in the JVM arguments.
Code:
-Xmx4096m -Xms256m -XX:PermSize=256m
this is for 4G just set the -Xmx to what you want. Don't do overboard it makes things worse.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2018, 10:48 PM

All that said, Direwolf's mod packs have the potential to be HEAVY, but it's mostly based on what you do with it. Take a look at what's in it here:

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Direwolf20_1.12

-cy
I guess worst case is I don't visit some of you.

It does have a lot of stuff that is daunting, but I can always ignore that. The elimination of Mekanism is nice (it was handy but the extra ores/armor were annoying, and the machines could be OP). I'll miss Mystical Agriculture furnaces, but I was going to try to play without using seeds so thats one less temptation. It's too bad it doesn't have any good solar panel mods. On the plus side, it has all my pre-requisites: Tinker's, Thermal Expansion, and RFtools.

I'm guessing there's no Tinker leveling?

One extra mod request: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/pro...rafting-tweaks

I used this all the time in Lite. I don't want to imagine a world without it.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 23, 2018, 01:48 PM

I'm guessing there's no Tinker leveling?
I'll need to look, but probably not. It was a neat thing but definitely not a deal-breaker for me.
One extra mod request: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/pro...rafting-tweaks
I used this all the time in Lite. I don't want to imagine a world without it.
I'll need to check on this. If it's server-side I don't mind adding it in at all. If it's a server/client side mod that would mean everyone needs to add it in manually before connecting to the server.

I'm also taking a look at the Tekkit series of modpacks. There was a really interesting one called "overgrown" that essentially put you in a ruined city-scape... but it was very new, somewhat buggy, and ATE RAM like nobody's business...

-cy

andi*pandi
Feb 23, 2018, 03:06 PM

I like worlds/maps/dungeons to explore, so that sounds neat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2018, 06:37 PM

I'll need to look, but probably not. It was a neat thing but definitely not a deal-breaker for me.
I'm not implying that at all. If anything not having amazing tools mid-game would be enjoyable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2018, 07:41 PM

Managed to download the direpack since twitch was patched and now semi-works. Unexpected criticism: The keybinds are screwed up and hard to fix. Huh.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 25, 2018, 11:24 PM

Going mining without there being 3 million ores including duplicates for half of them is quite the refreshing experience. It's hard to actually fill your inventory.

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2018, 12:25 PM

but are there backpacks?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2018, 12:38 PM

Yes, two kinds. Haven't needed them.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 27, 2018, 04:41 PM

This is with Direwolf's latest? the "less ores" stuff?

Sorry I've been sporadic on here... big issues with my old house and I've been working on structural repairs since just about the first of the year. Almost done, though.

-cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2018, 06:01 PM

Yep.

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2018, 07:21 PM

what version minecraft does it work with? (cross fingers for turtles)

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 27, 2018, 10:02 PM

HOLY CRAP they are updating Hexxit to 1.12!!!! Dear Lord, someone is also updating Dimensional Doors to 1.12!!!!

(play testing direwolf now on a server - cycl0pse-dw.g.akliz.net running DW 1.12 v1.8.0 - if using Twitch you may have to back off to that version)
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Feb 27, 2018 at 10:35 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2018, 11:49 PM

Hexxit was a great time, definitely one of my favorites

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Hexxit was a great time, definitely one of my favorites
I believe Hexxit marked my first minecraft retirement.
(play testing direwolf now on a server - cycl0pse-dw.g.akliz.net running DW 1.12 v1.8.0 - if using Twitch you may have to back off to that version)
I'm confused, how do I run 1.12 and 1.8? Twitch says the two are intertwined

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 28, 2018, 10:29 AM

I'm confused, how do I run 1.12 and 1.8? Twitch says the two are intertwined
OK, don't feel bad. the Direwolf20 versioning is confusing. In twitch, load up the Direwolf20 1.12 item. Once it's there, there should be a 'version' button up toward the top in twitch. it's probably set to 1.9.1, the current 'beta' release. just select and the old current one 1.8.0 and you should be good.

The server doesn't have the latest version until it leaves beta, but it does run 1.8.0. It seems to be doing OK... it crashed on my first load in but let me in the second time. And it's running on less RAM too.

I do still have the old server up. Running both on 2GB RAM for now, so if the old one seems laggier than normal that's why. Once things settle down on my end we can do that big 'show and tell' weekend on the server then see if we like the direwolf better or not.

-cy

sourgrapes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2018, 08:31 PM

I just stick to watching videos on YouTube. Way less stressful and I can speed up the videos to save time

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2018, 08:41 PM

OK, don't feel bad. the Direwolf20 versioning is confusing. In twitch, load up the Direwolf20 1.12 item. Once it's there, there should be a 'version' button up toward the top in twitch. it's probably set to 1.9.1, the current 'beta' release. just select and the old current one 1.8.0 and you should be good.

The server doesn't have the latest version until it leaves beta, but it does run 1.8.0. It seems to be doing OK... it crashed on my first load in but let me in the second time. And it's running on less RAM too.

I do still have the old server up. Running both on 2GB RAM for now, so if the old one seems laggier than normal that's why. Once things settle down on my end we can do that big 'show and tell' weekend on the server then see if we like the direwolf better or not.
Well this was a mess. I tried to log on last night but figured it wouldn't work since you said 1.12 when you should have specified 1.12.2. Which wouldn't have been a problem, except I got to javaexception error. So I guess I'll try again tonight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2018, 09:35 PM

Suggestion: As a finale for the current server I’ll overload my reactor and see what happens?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2018, 09:43 PM

I'm gonna be honest, this seed sucks unless you hate oceans and love deserts and savannah.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 1, 2018, 10:03 AM

That was a random seed. I'll tinker around and see if I can come up with a better one and re-load the server with it.

On a similar note, if you find a good seed in local testing, let me know. I can change the server to it (by re-loading the map of course)

I assume you were able to get in? Is it laggy at all?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 1, 2018, 10:04 AM

Suggestion: As a finale for the current server I’ll overload my reactor and see what happens?
I'm game. If you have screen capture software to record it I can grant your account admin privileges so you can stand close and record it...

But after we do some show and tell.

andi*pandi
Mar 1, 2018, 12:12 PM

My project is almost done, in so far as I've told myself it has to be. A few more days to clear off scaffolding etc.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2018, 06:35 PM

On a similar note, if you find a good seed in local testing, let me know. I can change the server to it (by re-loading the map of course)
I'll do that. Scouting without creative mode sucks.

People should chime in what biomes, structures they would prefer in the seed.

I assume you were able to get in? Is it laggy at all?
Not that I noticed but I wasn't on long, didn't do much, and was distracted for parts of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2018, 06:36 PM

RIP the Slime Room, and likely the Tree Room.

Oh, no one let me forget to show you my fancy ender farm.

andi*pandi
Mar 1, 2018, 11:27 PM

I am calling it done. It turned out a little smaller than I'd imagined, and there's no pistons doing clever things... but I learned a lot about water flow this time around, certainly!

My next base will be far away from Guardians, those little jerks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2018, 11:50 PM

First seed i found seems ok (123456789)

Ocean being swampy is not great and didn't find a village but otherwise lots of different biomes and terrain with pretty features.

Fatty load this ****er up and scout some locations and tell me what you think.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2018, 11:57 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2018, 12:12 AM

987654321 ain't too bad either. No swamp, but no village or desert either.

andi*pandi
Mar 3, 2018, 05:53 PM

I just tested out ruined cities.

andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2018, 03:49 PM

Ruined cities are somewhat cool as far as having infrastructure to just move into, but the floor plans are repetitious and the dungeons seem not worth it.
Atlantis appears to be ruined cities just half sunk underwater. Disappointed.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 10, 2018, 05:25 PM

Are you talking about a specific "ruined cities" mod, or the "lost cities" world option?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 10, 2018, 07:32 PM

On another note, I changed the seed in the server to something different. Good news, close village. Bad news, have not found large bodies of water. Other news: Alps are close to the village. Give it a look.

-cy

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 11, 2018, 12:05 PM

A awoke in a tent on the edge of a vast plain, the howls of wolves in the distance. Having no recollection of how I arrived here, I simply must assume my former friends have either played a trick on me or abandoned me to my fate. Speculating on why will do no good. Fortunately, amongst my meager supplies I've found both pen and paper. If nothing else I can document what becomes of me for the next poor soul who finds themselves shanghaied in such a way. Surprisingly there is no ocean in sight; I swear I recall being on a ship once...

Day 1
My former colleagues were kind enough to leave a fire burning at least, but otherwise I find myself bereft of supplies. No matter, my hands provided for me before and thus they will again. A cool spring near my camp sated my thirst and some cherries from a tree calm my growling stomach as I take in my surroundings. The only thing of interest near camp is a marble fountain. While interesting, I have more important matters to address. Fortunately, things are not as dire as I first feared; a nearby forest provides wood and soon I'm able to fashion crude tools. Tonight I will feast on pork with cherries for desert. Tomorrow I plan to explore further south... I think I see smoke that direction.

Day 2
The first night was rough... this tent is not the best protection from the foul beasts that wander the night. Fortunately I was quicker than them and even collected a few bones. The local wolves find these bones tastier than I do: I do believe I've made a friend!

As planned I explored the forest to the south east today and as luck would have it found a village nestled in the trees. The inhabitants are kindly folks, but their speech eludes me. Despite the language barrier they are friendly and willing to share their crops and food. The rest it seems I will need to barter for, but that will come with time. As part of their hospitality I find myself writing this with solid walls around me to keep out the terrors of the night. Let us see what tomorrow will bring.

Day 3
By the creator these villagers are idiots! I spent the dark ours protecting them from the night terrors that continued to spawn. Did no one teach them the way of the light? That will be a project for today, protecting my new-found friends.

Moon Above! What are these wicked green devils that terrorize the night!?!? Vicious and vindictive they are! I do hope my eyebrows regrow. Tomorrow I get to fill in a new crater. Perhaps the villagers will help me?

Day 7
I write this exhausted to the core. It has taken me several days but finally this village is safe, no thanks to the villagers themselves. Still, they fed me well and allowed me to use their tools so I cannot complain. Still, my hands are sore from wielding axe and shovel improving their protections and if I never smell the scent of charcoal again it will be too soon. But now the village is lighted properly and fenced in from the night. As long as they stay indoors when those giant spiders appear they will be safe. Tomorrow I will venture out into the world again to see what more I can learn.

Day 8
Today brought forth a great discovery! Just east of my original camp, a mere quarter klick by my reckoning, I have found the most magnificent mountains! They are majestic how they rise above the forest. Perhaps when I have the proper equipment I will accept their lofty challenge, but for now I will admire them from below.

Just past the foothills of these mountains, north east of my camp, I've found a grove of Maple trees. It seems resources are plentiful should I decide to settle in this land. That is yet to be see, however. There is still so much left to explore.

Day 9
Today I travelled south from my camp and just over a quarter klick away, across the plains and winding brooks, I came across a cherry grove. What a pleasant discovery. Nestled among the trees is another marble fountain. How strange! From what I have learned I doubt the villagers created these. Who then?

Not satisfied with that discovery I continued south and found myself in a rugged steppe braced on one side by some mountainous foothills. Perched on one crag was another marble structure; they seems out of place. Once I am more familiar with the land I plan to discover their purpose. For now, I continue to walk the steppe. Perhaps someday I'll learn to tame one of these magnificent horses. With the sun slipping lower in the sky I chose to make camp in the foothills. A simple cave and torch provide all the shelter I need to write this. Tomorrow we will see what else hides in the steppe.

Day 10
It has been an eventful day. Not long after dawn I heard noises in the distance and found another village! This one is further from my camp, at least a half klick south if not more, but it's good knowing I'm not as alone as I thought. Again these villagers knew nothing of the light; is it my fate to be Prometheus to these people?

Further south and east I investigated a blur in the sky. To my amazement it was a grove of giant redwoods. Realizing almost too late how vast this new land is, I spent the rest of the day at cartography, doing my best to document this new land so I do not get lost. To the best of my ability, this grove is just under a klick SSE of my base camp. What a wonder all these trees are!

Day 14
The last few days have been spent retracing my steps and improving my cartography skills. I now have confidence I can document my travels more properly. In my wanderings I located many floating islands, high in the sky. They will be worthwhile to explore. During my explorations I went south around the great mountains east of my camp and found a snowy taiga forest. Despite the cold, a familiar scent was on the breeze... I travelled further, across and icy plain, and finally found the ocean! How I have missed the salty breeze on my face even as it froze to my skin. Perhaps it is time to build a boat and truly explore...

to be continued???

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2018, 06:33 PM

I found an ok spot if fatty wants to weigh in

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 11, 2018, 11:16 PM

FYI, it seems this modpack is much more server friendly than the ATM-L was. I'm running currently on half the server RAM and not seeing any issues. Please let me know what your experiences are like. If it stays smooth then I think we'll be able to spread out on the server more.

Also, feed this bad-boy more client RAM and it's a happy puppy. It defaults to 3GB in the Java command but give it 4-6 and it really smooths things out, especially in the mountains.

-cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2018, 10:50 AM

I found an ok spot if fatty wants to weigh in
I an make some time tonight, been out of the game quite some time.. still using the Twitch launcher and the old server addy or what?

andi*pandi
Mar 12, 2018, 11:51 AM

Are you talking about a specific "ruined cities" mod, or the "lost cities" world option?
I'm not sure if it's powered by a specific mod, but in the direwolf pack I found it in the world options, yes.

I'll try and check out your world this week - is there a different address?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 12, 2018, 07:28 PM

Here's the server info.
cycl0pse-dw.g.akliz.net

For twitch, download the DireWolf20 1.12 Modpack, then back it off to version 1.8.0 . Under the version drop down it's:
"FTBPresentsDirewold20112-1.8.0-1.12.2.zip Release)"
Technically the "current" version is a beta of 1.9.0 and I don't want to run a beta.

The old FTB-lite server is still up and running, just with a bit less memory.
-cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2018, 09:02 PM

Edit: everything resolved by a restart for some reason
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 12, 2018 at 10:25 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 13, 2018, 10:48 AM

Fatty, your mission for today, should you choose to accept it:

A drop of evil
A ghost tear
Slime boots for both of us
Ring of Squid for both of us
Resonator and some burnt stone
Atomic Reconstructor
Auto-placer
Silver tinker’s axe
Any blaze rods you can get
Any ender pearls you can get
Any Thermal Dynamics Machines you feel like making

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2018, 03:39 PM

Got booted from the server upon jumping through the Twilight Forest portal for the first time. Kept booting me until I ran backwards through the portal back to the overworld.

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2018, 04:23 PM

I was on for about 5 minutes before my kid totally busted me. #workingfromhome #snowday #playwithme

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 13, 2018, 08:06 PM

Got booted from the server upon jumping through the Twilight Forest portal for the first time. Kept booting me until I ran backwards through the portal back to the overworld.
Hmmm.... let me see what I can learn about that.

-cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2018, 10:04 AM

Fatty, did some minor cleaning up and arranging last night. Did some mining too - for the time being we need to be grabbing all the coal, tin, and copper we can find.

Set up the pulverized for turning cobblestone into sand as we need it. Left you a satchel and a golden lasso. For now we're going to need to get more diamonds and ended pearls for squid rings.

Made a basement and working on power down there. Left a two block ceiling to match what you did above.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2018, 05:09 PM

I'm mostly mining and clearing out space within the mountain. Did a little scouting too. The mountain range to our E is freaking huge, the fall-ish forest behind us is also pretty cool, and a great source of oak.

Going to kit up some more in order to knock off a few of the nether-related fetch quests, and so I can adventure out in general without much hassle. I'd really like to start exploring the Twilight Forest as well, hollow hills are a great place for lots of good resources.

My reasoning behind 2-block thick walls and floors is so we can use different materials for walls/floors in adjacent rooms without issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules