Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you a Brand Zealot?

Are you a Brand Zealot?
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 01:29 PM

Just browsing the net and came across this:

1. Do you feel an overwhelming need to correct someone who gets a product feature wrong? (10 points) *

2. Do you get defensive and argumentive whenever someone says "those really suck!" and he's talking about the brand of car stereo you have? (8 points) *

3. Have you ever used the term "FUD"? (5 points) *

4. Do you even know what it means? (1 point)

5. Have you ever participated in an "Installation Party"? (9 points)

6. Do you subscribe to newsgroups that end in ".advocacy"? (3 points)

7. Do you heckle TV commercials for one brand, but righteously smile at the commercials for its competing brand? (4 points)

8. Have you ever spent longer than 6 seconds exlpaining why a missing feature wasn't really necessary in the first place? (8 points) **

9. Did you choose your bank based on what they run their computers with? (6 points) *

10. Do you call someone who switched from brand A to brand B a "religious convert", "traitor" or "interloper"? (9 points)

11. Do you have any bumper stickers with logos on them? (2 points)

12. Do you use deliberate and derogatory mis-spellings of company or
product names? (eg: "Windoze", "Macinsucks", "Blau****ed" etc.) (7 points) *****

13. Do you cling to any statistic that suggests your favorite brand is doing well, but get deeply resentful with anyone who questions their validity? (10 points) **

14. Are you embarassed to say who you hang out with? (5 points)

For each question you can answer positively, increase your score by the points given. If your score is higher than 2 then keep reading this article to find out how and why you should seek help.

Article:
http://www.disenchanted.com/dis/huma...d_zealots.html

And a great quote from the article:

"Who are these people and why are they wasting their lives to hail a brand of toaster, or stereo equipment, or computer as if it was the difference between good and evil? These folk are known as the Brand Zealots, and they are not your friends."

Have fun, I know there are alot of these guys on this very forum I've *starred out questions that have pertained to recent topics here

Man, I'm bored.

Chris

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 03:15 PM

i'm not that bad. I just buy what works for me.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 03:24 PM

1. Do you feel an overwhelming need to correct someone who gets a product feature wrong? (10 points) *

Yes, especially if that person is trying to sell the product to me.

2. Do you get defensive and argumentive whenever someone says "those really suck!" and he's talking about the brand of car stereo you have? (8 points) *

Defensive and argumentative? no. Defensive? If I've had no problems with the product, why not defend it?

Probably. A long time ago. Does it still count?

Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Hell no. Do I look like a Linux geek? Don't answer that.

Newsgroups?

7. Do you heckle TV commercials for one brand, but righteously smile at the commercials for its competing brand? (4 points)

Hmm. If I like brand A and hate brand B. Yes. Otherwise, it's just dumb.

8. Have you ever spent longer than 6 seconds exlpaining why a missing feature wasn't really necessary in the first place? (8 points) **

ALL THE FRICKEN TIME!!!

9. Did you choose your bank based on what they run their computers with? (6 points) *

Nope. They all pretty much seem to use windows, so it was either that or stuff it in the mattress. I don't want to know what's in my mattress. :shuuders:

10. Do you call someone who switched from brand A to brand B a "religious convert", "traitor" or "interloper"? (9 points)

Depends which way they switched. Anyone switching to the Mac can only be a good thing. Right? Right?

Nope.

product names? (eg: "Windoze", "Macinsucks", "Blau****ed" etc.) (7 points) *****

I used to. Then I grew up. A little.

13. Do you cling to any statistic that suggests your favorite brand is doing well, but get deeply resentful with anyone who questions their validity? (10 points) **

I'm always pleased to see reports of Mac market share increasing. I ignore the ones that say it isn't.

Of course. That would be the peeps in #macnn. I don't want my family knowing I 'hang' with those sorts of people.

/me works out his score.

what was the link again?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 05:40 PM

I'm only a Brand Zealot� when it comes to computers and alcohol.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 05:43 PM

There are only a few products I am a brand zealot. Apple computers, of course, and most Sony products. I have a Sony TV, a Sony DVD player, Sony DVD-R disks and so on.

If you find a brand you trust, why change?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kmkkid:
[B]
[b]1. Do you feel an overwhelming need to correct someone who gets a product feature wrong? (10 points) *

a)growl
b)correct them to the point of nausea

only mac/PC... then I'm a terror

n/a

n/a

sorta

n/a

yes...
dell ads- sounds of vomiting
apple- rapt worship

hell yeah

no

I go for Infadel personally... same idea

Do waterbottles count? I don't drive yet.

Windoze, MicroSh!t, Microsponge... yes

Literalist... so no

Geek PRIDE!

------

I am a Brand Zealot... and damn proud of it!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:

yes...
dell ads- sounds of vomiting
apple- rapt worship

I love my mac and will happily buy another (or more) but I absolutely hate, HATE Apple ads. They need to do more. How many times does it need saying?

I see more ads for Cisco on tv than Apple. CISCO! fer cryin' out loud!

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 07:57 PM

I try not to be a brand zealot as every time i try and support a brand reputation wise I get slapped in the face when i come back...

Example 1:

Windows xp sucks, blah blah blah, it's an unstable piece of crap.

Next day: My g4 crashes and then when I restart the hard drive gets trashed and I loose 40gb of junk

Example 2:

Dell sucks bullets

Next day: I find my monitor all blotchy and stuff..

I dunno but I seem to hate macs now just as much as I hate PCs. They all waste my time
Aloha

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 08:06 PM

By the above questions I'm not a Brand Zealot, not even close!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 09:20 PM

I definately am a brand zealot for Apple, and I really like Canon stuff, but I advised my wife to get the sony digital video cam because it was teh best value as far as I could tell. We haven't regretted that decision.

Microsoft would have to come a long way before I would recommend it to anyone, though. Even if I bought a PC, I don't think I could settle for one of these $400 jobs.

Other brands I like:

Martin Guitars
Simple (shoes)
Subaru

I can't really think of any more...

Forum Links
Forum Rules