Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > logitech mx1000 impressions...

logitech mx1000 impressions...
action
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2005, 08:27 PM

hi gang,

i just purchased the logitech mx1000. it's a wireless laser mouse.
i don't really know how to do a review so i will just write some initial impressions.

i purchased the mouse from j and r in nyc for $65.

the usb base station has to be plugged in for the mouse to be recognized and the base station has to connect to the included power supply for the mouse to be recharged in the stand. basically, it's not bus powered.

after plugging in the usb base station the mouse was immediately recognized for scrolling and left and right mouse clicks. to activate the thumb buttons you have to install the mouse drivers from the website. this unlocks the page forward and back and the open programs button which when pressed is the equivalent of apple+tab.

the mouse is extremely smooth and i cannot tell if it's heavier then my apple bluetooth mouse which suggests to me they are very close in size eventhough the logitech is twice as large but very ergonomically sculpted.

i love the function of this mouse and i have not experienced any skipping.

if you are looking for a multi button mouse then this would be an excellent choice for smooth tracking, ergonomic design and multifunction.

some points: the mouse will not operate without the base plugged into a usb connection. the base not only recharges but is the rf transmitter.

setup was extremely easy and took only a couple of minutes to download the drivers and install.

i can't comment on battery life because i just put the mouse in it's dock so that's a non issue for me. trade off for not worrying about batteries is having a base station with two extra chords on my desk.

chung lee

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by action
hi gang,

i just purchased the logitech mx1000. it's a wireless laser mouse.
i don't really know how to do a review so i will just write some initial impressions.

i purchased the mouse from j and r in nyc for $65.

the usb base station has to be plugged in for the mouse to be recognized and the base station has to connect to the included power supply for the mouse to be recharged in the stand. basically, it's not bus powered.

after plugging in the usb base station the mouse was immediately recognized for scrolling and left and right mouse clicks. to activate the thumb buttons you have to install the mouse drivers from the website. this unlocks the page forward and back and the open programs button which when pressed is the equivalent of apple+tab.

the mouse is extremely smooth and i cannot tell if it's heavier then my apple bluetooth mouse which suggests to me they are very close in size eventhough the logitech is twice as large but very ergonomically sculpted.

i love the function of this mouse and i have not experienced any skipping.

if you are looking for a multi button mouse then this would be an excellent choice for smooth tracking, ergonomic design and multifunction.

some points: the mouse will not operate without the base plugged into a usb connection. the base not only recharges but is the rf transmitter.

setup was extremely easy and took only a couple of minutes to download the drivers and install.

i can't comment on battery life because i just put the mouse in it's dock so that's a non issue for me. trade off for not worrying about batteries is having a base station with two extra chords on my desk.

chung lee
Outstanding mouse. Best mouse I've ever used.

Just... use the built-in OS X drivers. They do everything you could need. Throw any Logitech CDs away. You can map all the mouse buttons to OS X functions (I'm using mine for Expose; you could use them for Dashboard as well). Hmmm... or maybe Spotlight.

I think I have an idea :-)

bbales
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 02:30 PM

Glad to hear good things about this mouse as I've had my eye on it for a bit. I'm using an older Logitech cordless optical now, but would like more buttons.

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2005, 05:05 PM

after spending several days with the mouse i'm still very impressed. all the buttons function as they should opposed to the microsoft bluetooth mouse i had previously which constantly lost connection and configuring the buttons was a nightmare.

i haven't charged it yet after 3 days of use and with it on constantly. i'm trying to drain the original charge all the way down prior to recharging it.

there is an on off button on the mouse which i have not yet turned off.

chung

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 10:07 PM

This is by far the most impressive mouse I HAVE ever owned, The best thing since the very first time I've used a mouse. I've always loved the idea of wireless but am extremely nurodic about any possible lags. I've owned them all and this mouse is the fastest, most response one I've used (and that includes wired devices).

This mouse is worth every cent. I'd pay $500 if I had to for this device. Sorry to go on, but this mouse is everything a mouse should be.

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 09:33 PM

I've been looking at that mouse, but I can't justify the upgrade from my MX510, it does everything I need to do, and wireless isn't a priority for me. I think I'm just attracted to anything that has lasers.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 01:19 AM

I love mine as well.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne

Just... use the built-in OS X drivers. They do everything you could need. Throw any Logitech CDs away. You can map all the mouse buttons to OS X functions (I'm using mine for Expose; you could use them for Dashboard as well). Hmmm... or maybe Spotlight.

Hi, how do you get to map the buttons of the mouse for OSX functions?

regards

Hodog16
May 29, 2005, 03:06 PM

I was originally in the market for an MX900 since my new iMac will have BT built-in, but the MX1000 can be had for cheaper, and seems to be a better mouse from reviews I've read.

Anybody who would argue not to get the MX1000 (laser) over the MX900 (BT) now?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 12:42 PM

i was looking for into getting the mx1000 or mx900 for my powerbook...but came across the mx duo keyboard mouse combo for the same price as the mx1000 on amazon and although i do like the mx1000 (two friends lemme fiddle wit em), i couldn't pass up an opportunity to get a nice wireless keyboard along with my wireless mouse. i have to admit though...the mx1000's ergonomics are unparalleled.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 03:30 PM

iREZ, what value do you get out of a wireless keyboard? I've always been wary of them.

randki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 03:52 PM

Absolute best mouse I've ever owned.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by polendo
Hi, how do you get to map the buttons of the mouse for OSX functions?

regards
It's in the expose pane. I have Mouse 4, Mouse 6, and Mouse 5 used for the expose shortcuts.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2005, 05:22 PM

CatOne - wanna share which buttons are which on the mouse? I'd rather not fiddle with it if you've already figured all of them out.

BTW - best mouse I've ever owned. I think the thumb buttons are a bit cheap, but I don't expect a mouse to last more than a couple of years.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
CatOne - wanna share which buttons are which on the mouse? I'd rather not fiddle with it if you've already figured all of them out.

BTW - best mouse I've ever owned. I think the thumb buttons are a bit cheap, but I don't expect a mouse to last more than a couple of years.
I have Mouse 4 as "All Windows." Mouse 6 as "Application Windows." Mouse 5 as "Desktop."

Then just hit the 3 on the left and see what happens. If you don't like the order I've picked, you can easily rearrange

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2005, 01:40 AM

The Logitech drivers really aren't bad at all for OS X. I've got the buttons on my MX1000 set for forward/back and the middle thumb button for Exposé's F9 function. Works great.

Hodog16
Jun 5, 2005, 02:03 PM

Great mouse! I got it for around $50 from chiefvalue.com.

As a default, moving the scroll wheel left and right in Firefox goes backwards and forwards in the browser.

In expose, here's what I have set up:
All windows: Mouse button 6 (the round application switcher thumb button)
Desktop: Mouse button 4 (The bottom thumb button)
Dashboard: Mouse button 5 (The top thumb button)

Hope this helps

maggie11_6
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 10:04 PM

ok!!!!!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 06:58 PM

i dont know what value i get from wireless mice n keyboards... but i can say that as a designer, being able to just pick up and move my keyboard and mouse off the table without unplugging anything is great, so is the fact that i have lots of buttons on the mouse, and the logitech driver for the mx duo combo is amazing...all my buttons are programmed just the way i like it, and the play skip pause volume controls on my keyboard control itunes no matter which program im on, i'd pay 100+ for this combo...but $60 was much better .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 09:49 AM

Ordered mine last night. I think it was around $55, $2 plus S$H.

voo
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne

I found the mouse rather jumpy without the logitech drivers, way too sensitive always jumping upto the menubar. So I got the latest from the logitech site. Unless it's the IceMat, but still its pretty smooth with its drivers now.

Hodog16
Jun 10, 2005, 11:35 PM

Didn't install the drivers from logitech, but after reading more replies maybe I should!

Forum Links
Forum Rules