Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9 and Microsoft Word, Netscape

Mac OS 9 and Microsoft Word, Netscape
MrTomServo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 1999, 05:30 PM

I (mistakenly) posted this same message in the "System Software" forum before I scrolled down the screen enough to see that there was a Mac OS 9 forum. Sorry!

Anywho, whenever I start Microsoft Word, it runs fine just up until the point where it lets you type. Then it crashes -- sometimes Force Quitting will let you save your other docs, sometimes not.

Do you think it's an incompatibility with Mac OS 9? Or do I just need to reinstall Office from the CD?

Also, Netscape is oddly unstable. Any ideas?

MacNN Member of the Day: 28 June 2001, 7 July 2001

James Z
Oct 24, 1999, 06:00 PM

Microsoft word has been very unstable since I installed Mac OS 9.0. Sometimes it doesn't start up at all, and even if I do get it up, it crashs if I use the right mouse button on my mouse. It doesn't crash however, when CM are accessed via control-click. I have re-installed, and the same thing happens. It must be Mac OS 9.0, or some other extension.

MrTomServo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 1999, 06:55 PM

More on the Netscape problem: it seems to be quite random ... I wasn't sure if it was certain sites, but now it's just anything ... if you look at the darn thing wrong it crashes. I've resorted to using Internet Explorer (groan) ...

Is it just me?

Oh, and the problems with Word are still there ... no problems with any other Microsoft apps though (Outlook, IE, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)

Well ... if you all have any ideas, let me know ...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 1999, 09:44 PM

MrTom servo, What version of Netscape are you using? 4.7 seems to work okay in OS 9 You could always resort to AppleWorks for WordProcessing. Also IE 4.5 and OE 5 aren't that bad. Though they are Micorsoft Products.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MrTomServo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 1999, 12:41 AM

Let's see ... I was using Netscape 4.7 ... I'll try using it more instead of shying away from it ...

Yeah ... I'm glad I kept that ClarisWorks CD ... thought of auctioning it off!

You're right about Microsoft, too ... they've made some pretty large improvements in their Mac products over the last year or so ... some people still have a thing against them. My opinion of them is on a strictly product-by-product basis. (i.e.: Word 6 = bad, Word 98 = good!)

scott
Oct 26, 1999, 03:20 AM

I wouldn't say that I've been using Word 98 heavily since I've installed Mac OS 9, but I have been using reasonably frequently for short periods of time, and opening some fairly large documents without any problems. I would recommend ditching the Office 98 menu bar extension, though. I've heard of that causing problems for many people. Also, Netscape 4.6 (included) has behaved itself for me so far.

I would highly recommend the clean install option, BTW.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

theSeven
Oct 28, 1999, 11:23 PM

I haven't been able to use Netscape 4.7 at all since installing OS 9. The first time I tried to launch it, a message came up saying it was not compatible with my version of the operating system. Since then, Netscape simply does not start up at all. I am really surprised that no one else has reported this. I can't stand how IE 4.5 looks. Any advice at all would be helpful.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 1999, 11:52 PM

theSeven,

have you deleted Netscape's Preferences file?

have you deleted the Internet Preferences file?

do not do both at the same time... these things usually help with a Netscape problem... if the above two tips don't get it, you can also try deleting the Netscape Registry file and the Netscape Users folder BUT be sure to pull your Bookmarks, pabna2 (addressbook), and Inbox and Sent and whatever other mailboxes you may have.

ALSO, if you have a 'Netscape �' folder in the Preferences folder, dump that.

should do it!

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-29-1999).]

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 1999, 12:20 AM

I was having problems with Office 98 (Word specifically) in that when I tried to copy or paste from it it would crash. I fixed this problem by running the "Combined Updater for Office98."

Now, my problems were with Mac OS 8.5.1, but it couldn't hurt to try it for all these Mac OS 9 problems I've been reading about.

Let me know how this works for people.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

MrTomServo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 1999, 12:44 AM

Hey Madgreek,

Where can you get the Combined Updater thing? Is it on the Office CD?

(BTW: Netscape problems seemed to have vanished ... not that that's a bad thing, mind you ... )

Thanks for all your help, folks!

Ster
Oct 29, 1999, 03:16 AM

hi,
the office combined updater is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/macoffice/p...inedupdate.htm

-ster

MrTomServo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 1999, 12:25 PM

Well, I just ran the combined updater, and now everything (Word being the most notable) works great!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules