Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help Me Buy Something

Help Me Buy Something
Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 08:05 PM

I have $100 to spend in any way that I want. I was hoping to get something new for my Mac and was looking for suggestions. Keep in mind that they don't have to be for my Mac only; just something cool.

It can't come to a cent more than $100 with shipping, so what would you buy?

This is on the order of the recent "Name My Baby" thread, the "Choose Where I Move To" thread, etc. So, have at it!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2004, 08:10 PM

Get a Griffin Powerwave, really cool piece of gear.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 08:10 PM

Wait and see if the $99 iPod is announced next week.

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Wait and see if the $99 iPod is announced next week.
I already have an iPod, but waiting until after MacWorld doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Maybe I'd buy a $99 iPod for my Dad since he is always thinking mine is so cool.

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Get a Griffin Powerwave, really cool piece of gear.
Looks neat, but I don't really have much of a use for something like that. My stereo is in the other room.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 08:58 PM

buy a hundred lotto tickets.

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
buy a hundred lotto tickets.
Not 18, so I couldn't do that if I wanted to (which I don't).

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 09:07 PM

1) Memory...if you need any.
2) Booze...if you are old enough to drink.
3) Mac Games...if you like gaming.
4) New Desk...for your mac.
5) Open a savings account and save more money for a new mac.
6) Lots and Lots of Candy!!!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 09:41 PM

What kind of mac do you have ? This could alter the equation significantly.

In general (mac):
Keychain hard-drives are fun and useful
Bluetooth is fun to tinker with. If your machine already has BT, then I'd say get a BT cellphone that works with your current service (if you have that).
External hard drives are nice. You could get an empty case and decent sized drive for < $100. My external has saved my butt a coupla times ... which has made it worth every penny.

In general (non-mac):
TRAVEL ... train fares can be really cheap. Go somewhere new. See a place you haven't seen before -- even if its only a coupla hours away.
DINNER + entertainment ... since you say you're under 18, take a slew of your friends out somewhere cool for grub and then catch Return of the King or drive go-karts or ice skate or paintball errr ... whatever you and your buds like doing. (Hint this is a great, low-key way to ask chicks out as well ... tell her "a bunch of us" are going to do X -- relieves some of the "date" stress).
Hmmm .... what else. Oh yeah ... paypal it to me, I could use $100 after Xmas

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 10:00 PM

Coincidentally, I'm currently selling "I sent $100 to Sherwin" certificates. Similar to Post-It notes, they decorate a monitor perfectly and add sparkle to your otherwise tedious computing activities. Only $100 + handling. Specify Mac or PC when ordering.

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Coincidentally, I'm currently selling "I sent $100 to Sherwin" certificates. Similar to Post-It notes, they decorate a monitor perfectly and add sparkle to your otherwise tedious computing activities. Only $100 + handling. Specify Mac or PC when ordering.
I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that one.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 1, 2004, 11:02 PM

How much is handling? You can really get screwed with handling charges. Plus, I think this is beyond his range. Gotta keep it under $100 with shipping and handling.

Originally posted by Scifience:
It can't come to a cent more than $100 with shipping, so what would you buy?
Now, I could provide an original piece of art, specifically an oil painting for under $99.99 including shipping and handling. I have this technique that allows me to paint a painting on plain 8.5" x 11" paper in under 5 minutes. They're gonna be huge. Next "Christmas' gotta have gift". Get yours NOW!!!

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
How much is handling? You can really get screwed with handling charges. Plus, I think this is beyond his range. Gotta keep it under $100 with shipping and handling.
See, that's the salesman in me, always looking for the better sale. I've just looked and I also have a bunch of "I sent $90 to Sherwin" certificates in stock right now. I could do these for $99.98 inclusive of insured shipping.

But, as always, you get what you pay for. The $90 certificates are nowhere near as good, quality wise, as the $100 models. Cost of materials and all that. You know how it is.

Now, I could provide an original piece of art, specifically an oil painting for under $99.99 including shipping and handling. I have this technique that allows me to paint a painting on plain 8.5" x 11" paper in under 5 minutes. They're gonna be huge. Next "Christmas' gotta have gift". Get yours NOW!!!
Sounds like a cheap rip-off to me. I know for fact I can't do my 8.5" x 11" oil paintings for less than $300 a pop. Are you using illegal immigrant labour or something?

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 2, 2004, 12:59 AM

See, that's the salesman in me, always looking for the better sale. I've just looked and I also have a bunch of "I sent $90 to Sherwin" certificates in stock right now. I could do these for $99.98 inclusive of insured shipping.

But, as always, you get what you pay for. The $90 certificates are nowhere near as good, quality wise, as the $100 models. Cost of materials and all that. You know how it is.

Sounds like a cheap rip-off to me. I know for fact I can't do my 8.5" x 11" oil paintings for less than $300 a pop. Are you using illegal immigrant labour or something?
Damn, I am busted. It's imitation oil paint. I use child labor too. My 10 week old daughter is the artist, and all she works for is boob milk.

Are your certificates certified? My paintings are certified by a highly qualified high quality certification house. Run by Mrs. Kilbey. But certification is really what is driving the market these days. If you aren't certified... well, let's not go there.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 01:06 AM

I have a tee shirt I can send you that says:

"I sent chris v $99.99 including tax and shipping, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

It's a one-of-a-kind, and it'll be lovingly screenprinted by me, personally.

Or you could go buy 5 DVDs and be done with it.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 2, 2004, 04:15 AM

just check out this site, you have to find something good: www.iwantoneofthose.com

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Jan 2, 2004, 09:04 AM

Okay um, 100 bucks eh.

how about:

Underpants - always need those. If your under 18, who knows when a sexy girl will walk past and you will need new underpants?

You could hire a concrete mixer for 24 hours from your local harware shop

You could get 2 or 3 fiddle lessons, every one loves the fiddle.

or you could go to your bank and get them to give you the money in one dollar notes and when you get home put on a suit (Top hat optional) and throw it up in the air and look really rich and cool!

Well I am Spent. ( No money pun intended)

-Zoom ZOom

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
just check out this site, you have to find something good: www.iwantoneofthose.com
Heh. I love this ad:

But seriously, I would love one of these.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
I would love one of these
"Put an end to wet fish handshakes" - ROTFLMAO!!!

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 10:02 AM

I think that "techinque" is called an inkjet printer, in which case I have one of my very own.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2004, 10:18 AM

Put the $100 into a 30-year equity fund, therefore allowing you to have $103.76 in 30 years...AWESOME!

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Put the $100 into a 30-year equity fund, therefore allowing you to have $103.76 in 30 years...AWESOME!
Thank you for reminding me why interest isn't even worth it anymore.

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
What kind of mac do you have ? This could alter the equation significantly.

In general (mac):
Keychain hard-drives are fun and useful
Yes, yes and yes. I'd say they're more than fun and useful; they are invaluable. I bought mine several months ago on a lark, thinking it would likely be a toy. I use it constantly. And I really mean daily, between work and home, between home and family. I carry digital photos with it, compressed files, critical documents for work etc. etc. etc.

I can't recommend these highly enough.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

Forum Links
Forum Rules